Thread: Club Ambiance

Club Ambiance

hi, we just noticed that Club Ambiance at Runaway Bay has C/O beaches and is shown as lifestyle friendly, has anyone been there lately and have any thing they can share about this place as far as rooms, food, beaches, pools, atmosphere, age groups, etc, thanks!

We were there last January and here's our assessment of Ambiance...

To begin with Ambiance was about half the price of Hedo. Ours was actually a little less than half and everyone that we spoke to had gotten deals pretty similar to ours. The internet rack rates seem to be way higher than this property can be booked for, and if I was honest I don't think that we would have thought it very good value at those prices. But at half the price of Hedo it was superb value.

Ambiance was underwhelming as we entered the property. It looks like it is maybe a 1960's vintage. I could see it having been a real hopping place back then since the layout is really conducive to a good party. Beach people may not like it because there is only the smallest of man-made beaches, but... we are beach people and we still loved it. There is a nude beach, a prude beach, and a clothing optional pool. Everything is easily accessible since the property isn't that big. I think there might be 80-90 rooms but I never checked.

One great thing is that every room has either a patio or balcony. And the views are all good -- either a pool view that also looks out on the sea or a beautiful garden view that also looks out at the sea. Second floor rooms will give you the views. Balconies and patios are pretty large with tables and chairs.

The rooms themselves are large, much larger than at Hedo, about like Grand Lido rooms. And while they are older carribean furnishings they are spotless and everything works. Did miss the Hedo mirrors though. Bathrooms are about the size of Hedo's and were well supplied with towels and sundries.

Food while we were there was pretty good. But we're not fussy. I'd say it was about like Hedo used to be last year and a lot of people seemed to complain about that. It never bothered us. But with Hedo's recent upgrades in the food department Ambiance can't compare to it. But it was totally fine for us. And some things were actually outstanding... best in the world cream cheese tarts, great fish and grill offerings.

The booze selection was very limited... mostly bar brands... definitely not top shelf stuff. But the bar staff more than made up for the booze quality. In fact, the entire staff was fantastic. We love the staff at Hedo and have many good friends among them, but the staff at Ambiance is unbeatable. Keep in mind though... it is Jamaica... and they have that easy going, no problem attitude. They joke around a lot and are very playful. I have a feeling that this playfulness is misinterpreted by some guests that have reviewed on other websites. Our experience is that some first-time travelers to Jamaica mistake this playful culture for harassment.

Back to the underwhelming entry to the property... When we first arrived at Ambiance we weren't sure about it. By the end of our first day we thought our three days would be just about right. By the end of the second day we were sure that we could have easily stayed for a week. And by the end of our third day we didn't want to leave at all. The place grew on us hourly.

Ambiance is definitely no Hedo! There is no party life. There just isn't enough people there to get any kind of a party going. But they try hard with a great house band in the evenings and some enthusiastic EC's. If you're looking for the wild party don't look here. But if you're looking for a place to go for a super quiet time as either a single or a couple and want excellent value, we'd highly recommend it. We do love the Hedo party and we're lifestylers so we will keep going back there. But this would be a great place for a small lifestyle takeover or even a great place to go with a small group of couples that could make their own party. The management is trying to sell the place as a lifestyle-friendly resort but without some synergy it really isn't happening.

So here's our recommendations... If you want a party, bring some friends with you; if you want quiet, laid back, real Jamaican experience, go here; if you are fussy about food or drinks, this probably isn't your place; ask for a second floor room and you'll have a great view; don't expect too much here, and you'll fall in love with the place!

What was the normal dress at the c/o pool
    Did they have volleyball games

We were there at the end of January so it ought to have been a bit busy. But there weren't enough guests on the resort to make up a volleyball game. Seriously, there weren't. At any one time during the day there were 1-2 people at the c/o pool - all with full bathing suits on. The prude beach would have 4-6 people at it, and the nude beach had 2-4 people at it.

Thanks for your comments
    It a shame there was not enough for volleyball
    Sounds like the resorts is more prude then nude

funfortwo,

Thanks for the detailed report. We had been wondering about this place. It sounds like it could be a real good choice for couples looking for a little naked relaxation at a great price... or better yet, for a group takeover... now that would take the fun & party level up exponentially! We're not real picky with food, and being vodka drinkers that use mixers, we're not overly concerned with having top shelf brands either. So, this could be a possible choice for us for a cheaper getaway... especially while we have multiple kids in college! lol

Thanks again!
    K&D
    Desire Pearl hot tub, beds & swim-up bar:

Incredible paradises we've had the pleasure of experiencing:
    Couples Negril - Couples Sans Souci - Grand Lido Braco (RIP) - Hedonism III (RIP)
    Desire Riviera Maya - Hidden Beach Resort - Desire Pearl - Hedonism II

Blog Entries

Club Ambiance/ Is anyone else heading there Jan27- Feb 6 2015

We are heading to CA Jan27-Feb6 this will be our first time, here, we usually do the N-Resort but as you know they are closed, we saw this place and it kind of reminded us of the N-Resort, we have been to Hedo many times, Temptations as well as Desire Pearl, we like small groups not into clicks so we will see. We have stopped reading the reviews, you can drive yourself crazy, expecially with the bad ones, we are hoping to meet up with old friends but if not we will make new ones. We will post a review upon our return, if you will be there anytime we are say hello , we are Joyce and Harold from NJ

Thanks for the detailed report. We had been wondering about this place. It sounds like it could be a real good choice for couples looking for a little naked relaxation at a great price... or better yet, for a group takeover... now that would take the fun & party level up exponentially! We're not real picky with food, and being vodka drinkers that use mixers, we're not overly concerned with having top shelf brands either. So, this could be a possible choice for us for a cheaper getaway... especially while we have multiple kids in college! lol

Thanks again!
    K&D[/QUOTE]

We were there in Feb of this year. We found the hotel itself to be older but VERY clean and well-maintained. The food was decent but not "good". There was a lot of chicken and pork on the buffet table and it was usually good. When there was beef out, there was usually only one pan of it and, when it was gone, it was gone. It was good, but don't try to go back for seconds. Much of the meat consisted of "rough-cut" pieces, meaning you had to watch out for bones. Just be careful to feel it with your tongue before biting down and you'll be fine. But, most of the meat was not butchered or processed like we might expect here in the States, Canada or Western Europe.

The staff were, overall, excellent. The bartenders were a lot of fun - Phillip is just a trip and Oral is a wonderful guy. His real, given name is "Oral Johnson". I swear. We saw his picture ID. You can find him on Facebook.

The nude beach is small but clean and well-maintained. It's visible from the other "beaches" so it's not "private" in that regard but there aren't any vendors who walk the beach. One time some 20-something girls came and laid on the beach in their suits. Someone from management came and "suggested" they would "be more comfortable" over on one of the other beaches because that beach was "meant for nude sunbathing". It was very diplomatically done and they moved soon after. There is no beach service and, if you're on the nude beach, you have to put some shorts on to go to the bar.

The beaches are man-made and aren't very big but they are clean. Overall, we enjoyed our week there but decided to go back to Hedo because of the weak food quality. There were 122 people in house when we were there in mid-Feb but the place has, I think, 190 rooms. So, it's not crowded and the EC's do a good job of making activities available without being pushy about it. The house band was very good and played almost every night.

There was some rumor that it's now "clothing optional" but I don't know to what extent that is at this point. At this point in time, we have 8 nights reserved at Hedo in Feb but they couldn't book us for the 9th. Unless something changes, we are currently scheduled to spend one night at Club Ambiance. I'll be interested to know what, if any, changes they made. I wrote a detailed report on TripAdvisor last Feb ("calvingrad") but Management didn't respond to any of my constructive criticisms.

I would like to hear of any recent trips to club A. The price is just right and February 15-22 is my birthday week. I don't worry about how many people are there. We just want to have fun and maybe make some new friends

Blog Entries

Cool

We are eagerly anticipating our first trip to Club Ambiance May 19 - May 27, 2015. We have been to Hedo 3 once, Hedo 2 seven or eight times, Desire Cabo once and Desire Pearl once. We are looking for a place that has a more casual attitude towards smokers than the newly tightened rules at Hedo. Have enjoyed the energetic sexual vibe of Hedo but would like a little break from the 'in your face' sexual activity/ displays Hedo is famous for....
    Anyone on this forum going to Club Ambiance last week of May 2015??
    Last edited by JuicyLucie; 03-01-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    "Your clothes conceal much of your beauty, yet they hide not the unbeautiful ....Would you meet the sun and the wind with ...your skin..? For the breath of life is in the sunlight and the hand of life is in the wind.." Kahlil Gibran