Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "no tipping rule"

Quote Originally Posted by HedoJoe View Post
    The resort staff all take part in a weekly tipping bonus pool based on the week's revenue. The amount they receive is based on the the job they perform I believe. I have been told that on a FULL week, a bartender can take home the equivalent of a weeks salary from the bonus pool.
    Interesting, I've never heard of that (which means absolutely nothing) but it begs several questions ...
    1. The resort is all inclusive, but now with some optional purchases for upgraded beverages or other small ammenities. So other than those upgrades where does this weekly revenue come from other than room bookings?
    2. With the size of the staff one might think that the tipping bonus pool would need to be rather large especially if a bartender can receive a bonus equal to a weeks pay. How is the weekly tipping bonus funded?
    3. Since very little purchases are made at the bar (unless things have changes dramatically since last year) how would a bartender's positive influence on revenue, assuming (yep, I know what that means) that's the criteria, be measured?
    4. How would the housekeeping staffs performance be evaluated?

I think you see my confusion. Of course this could all be hearsay since I find it difficult to believe hotel management would divulge this information to guests.

But I have been wrong before. Just sayin ...

Philly Dave
    Jamaican WaterSlide Team
    www.jwst.com

Hedo II September 12 - 19, 2015

Hedo II 1990, 1991, 2010, 2013, 2014
    Hedo III 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

im with Philly Dave..., (but I don't understand either argument). So there is a rule that says no tipping, its just a standard rule for any all inclusive.. if you wish to latch onto it for your own peace of mind, ,so be it.. Everyone, including management knows it happens. does anyone know of any employee being sacked for receiving a tip? doubt it. (bt sure someone will say yes). if someone jumps the que at the bar.. say EXCUSE ME, THINK I WAS FIRST.. no big deal. Some of the staff have a very hard existence compared to us who can afford to blow 5k on a 2 week vacation. Get real people... we travelled with 30kg luggage last year and returned with 10kg. Ok, head down time again...

Also, when you consider that minimum wage is $56 a week, then even a bonus of a weeks salary is still very little. That $1 or $5 makes a big difference.
    First Trip to HEDO= 7/19/14-7/26/14

And I was never asked for or hinted to about a tip. If I can make the lives of my "family" a little better by giving a little, then I will. Driving to Hedo, you must be blind to not see the obvious poverty that the people are living in.
    First Trip to HEDO= 7/19/14-7/26/14

Always tip the maids. As many times and places in the room we got busy they deserved it. I would not want to clean the sheets after complete strangers. Hell I wouldn't want to change them after good friends got busy on them. Also we never had a problem with fresh towels or the rooms not being kept spotless. Not to mention they left our party supplies alone. Those woman are the silent hero's of hedo.

We tip but hide it (the "respect" handshake with the folded bill) and leave stuff for housekeeping, as well as bring items (candy, medicine, clothing... Even gave up my Timex and digital camera one trip) for other resort staff (security, EC's, etc.). But the way I understand what the new management is doing at a Hedo is giving staff a bonus that is dependant in occupancy. If the place is full, they get a larger bonus. The idea, I think, is that with continuous exceptional service, over time, occupancy numbers for all weeks will improve, resulting in more profits for Hedo ownership, and more bonus dollars for staff. I may have it wrong, but it seems like on top of their regular salary, the new ownership is trying to ensure the level of service remains high, even in the absence of tipping.

We're still going to tip discretely and write notes for staff when giving them items other than cash, but this is what I think the ownership philosophy is on the matter.
    Hedo, Sept. 27-Oct. 8, 2015 (can't wait to return).

Hedo, February 2015.

Hedo, September 2014 . First time!

Brilliance of the Seas - January 2014

Hedo II, Negril. Anywhere else does not matter
    Blog Entries
    So we break the rules, because we love to be the judge of what is good for others. We are all on a holiday. If we want to right the wrong there are 4 billion poor people in the world and a billion organizations trying to change that. They all need our help.
    Hedo 3 - 4th July week 2005
    Desire - July 2007 -
    Hedo 3 - 4th July week 2009 ( closed now)
    Hedo 2 - Lovevoodoo Nov. 2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 -
    No Swim Suit - March 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 -
    4th July Week - July 2015,2016 - 5th March to 13th March 2016
    Feb17-25 2017. 27 Oct to 5th Nov 2017:
    Mar 2-11 2018; March 29-April 7 2019:
    Coming Up 29th Oct - 6th Nov 2021.
    www.amazon.com/author/venusshaw
    www.swingersexdiaries.com
    https://www.swingtowns.com/like/eroticavenus

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Different people have different attitudes about tipping.I like the idea that tipping is not required,and,to be honest,I don't like going to The Big Apple (aka NYC) because everybody wants to hold their hand out...I don't tip an employee when there is anyone around for fear of getting that person Fired. It is not fair to try and get better bar service by tipping to get it.If given the opportunity to tip different employees at checkout individually plus a divisible tip for others,I would like to participate in that.And here's a thought,they have Maintenance personnel that likely never gets tipped,but they work hard too.Not to mention all that heavy duty work the grounds keepers do.See the inequity here for tipping only bartenders,housekeepers,and waitstaff?I am sure there are performers that put in long hours also.Where's their tip?

Quote Originally Posted by rast67 View Post
    Yep... Tips get you definite favoritism.
    Guess one reason Hedo has the no tipping rule.
    It is a pain to stand at the bar, wait your turn, and then have "Joe" ( my apologies to all Joes here on the forum) show up out of know where and get his drinks before you.
    We always leave something for our room attendant, but also on the last day.
    Silly me --I've never tipped the bartenders.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

Not sure if this is something new with the new owners, but I got it from the horse's mouth. When the resort does good, the staff does good.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Dave View Post
    I think you see my confusion. Of course this could all be hearsay since I find it difficult to believe hotel management would divulge this information to guests.

But I have been wrong before. Just sayin ...
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

I understand the reason for the no tipping rule. I'm just so use to tipping for great service. I guess it's a Choice I'll have to make. (1st time August 17th).

I totally understand the no tipping rule as well and would NOT want them to get rid of it. If they did that then it would go south quickly with everyone expecting a tip. Right now if I choose to sneak a tip to someone for amazing service then it is appreciated since not expected
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Blog Entries
    Guitar strings. They are inexpensive here, but hard to get in Negril.

Your all breakin the law and I am bringing my cuffs with me in 144 days.

Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CopNkitten View Post
    Your all breakin the law and I am bringing my cuffs with me in 144 days.

Cop..
    Could you bring them in April....lol...and I would like to be frisked please

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast