Thread: Beware of Hosts who ask for "donations"

Beware of Hosts who ask for "donations"

I recently returned from a trip to Hedo. This was my 4th trip. The group I traveled with on my last visit asked for donations to off set the cost of buying gifts and a site for chats. In the last several weeks I have discovered that some people of my group donated very generously. This was this the first time I have ever had a host ask for donations. I am not sure what she spent the money on. Maybe her airfare? Please do not alow anyone to line their pockets. Just felt like everyone should know. Please comment if you have have any thoughts on this.

If you like the group and can afford it then donate. If you like the group but prefer to freeload then be a freeloader. If you don't like the group find another group... Whatever floats your boat.

What other people do donating or not and what the hosts do with that money does not really have anything to do with you. It's your vacation, it's their vacation. Enjoy.
    Kama Sutra Week - Jan 26th - Feb 2nd, 2013
    www.hedokamasutra.com

If it's an established, well known group we wouldn't mind giving a donation to help cover the costs of their expenses for group activities. Especially if they had let it be known up front that they would ask. I know it costs money to purchase the prizes and other accessories that groups use for some of the parties and activities. Perhaps you were caught off guard by the request. I could see how that might make you question the intent.

Strange post, there obviously more going on here than just the donation request. New profile, no pic, only one post. Somebody has an axe to grind.

I am a person who regularly tips. I had no idea about this donation business to hosts until I read this post. It didn't occur to me to donate to the hosts of the group I went with (mind you there were no prizes that I can recall and at least 1 event was cancelled although I was given a lanyard and beach bag...). How common is it to donate? What is the standard amount? Would love to know more about it.

donations

Just an FYI...my wife is a travel agent and although she books groups, she has never done a nude group trip, but does regular group bookings to islands..sporting events and so forth. She always gives away prizes and such and NEVER asks for donations. The one common myth about travel agents is that they charge there clients extra to make money...well that is not true(unless your travel agent is a thief) travel agents are paid a commission by the resorts or travel companies they book with and not by the clients. Anything extra they give away, IE prizes..lanyards and so forth is paid for out of their pockets, but as my wife puts it...if I can give my clients something extra to keep them happy...hopefully they will book with me again. So in my opinion any travel agent or group organizer who asks for a tip is not on the up and up. Now that is said...we will be traveling to Hidden Beach in the fall for the second time and I can't wait!!!!...Maybe I can talk my wife into doing a group trip to Hidden Beach in the future...any questions...please feel free to contact me

And another "new" user making their first post. The original post had to do with a group leader who got ZERO dollars from their travel agent by organizing the group. This person asked the group members if they would consider making a donation to offset some of the costs and only had a few people help out with the cause. The group leader did not ask for "a tip". The donations amounted to less than $300 even though this person spent over $700 of their own money for the group.

As a travel consultant, I have done groups and bought gifts out of my commissions. When you are a group leader with a travel agency that gives you NOTHING for bringing them 40 rooms, you almost feel obligated to do something and you end up spending your own money. In this case, don't blame the group leader, blame the travel agency.

I know this person is not going to say anything but I felt I had to come to their defense.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

A room that has a value of over $3000 is not nothing. Plus I know for a fact that the parties and almost all the gifts that were handed out were also donated. Some by the travel agent, some by other hosts, and some by guests that paid for their room. I also know that some items that were purchaced in bulk, will be used for several trips in the future.It's nice to know you have some of the facts. I am not saying not to donate to your group. All I am saying is Buyer beware. Several of the people who donated cash were not aware the host received their room for free. I shouldn't say "free" I know a lot of work goes into planning a trip. I have not attacked anyone openly in this post. I want others to be aware. I feel sick that people returned home and felt a little duped. If this helps one person, then great.

Rather than talking code, can we know the whole true story please?
    First Trip to HEDO= 7/19/14-7/26/14

As a group host, and not a travel agent, we have never asked for donations. I am aware of some groups that do. Yes there are costs to put the group together, our web page, prizes, foam parties, equipment rental...but that is part of running a group. We have been offered donations in the past by people wanting to "help out", but always turn them down as whatever we choose to spend on activities is covered in one way or another, sometimes a personal expense, sometimes a travel agent contribution, sometimes a resort provided incentive. If someone asks for a donation to fund the group, that is up to the individual and totally optional as Hedo Joe said. The only donations we would ask for is for a school of Jamaican children where guests can if they choose donate something tangible to the local needs.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerppc View Post
    A room that has a value of over $3000 is not nothing. Plus I know for a fact that the parties and almost all the gifts that were handed out were also donated. Some by the travel agent, some by other hosts, and some by guests that paid for their room. I also know that some items that were purchaced in bulk, will be used for several trips in the future.It's nice to know you have some of the facts. I am not saying not to donate to your group. All I am saying is Buyer beware. Several of the people who donated cash were not aware the host received their room for free. I shouldn't say "free" I know a lot of work goes into planning a trip. I have not attacked anyone openly in this post. I want others to be aware. I feel sick that people returned home and felt a little duped. If this helps one person, then great.
    Don't lay out money expecting to get it back. (Generally a good rule in life! ) and absolutely hosts put a lot of work in. But again, that's their choice.

I felt I needed to chime in on this. I have been reading the boards for several years, but never felt a need before to comment on one of the threads. I travel with a group that is not affiliated with any travel agent and the group hosts do not receive a free room or any kind of kick-back from the resort. They do ask for donations to help with the website, chat room, name tags, door cards, etc. No one in the group has to donate, but are still welcomed with the same open arms. Since I am under no obligation to donate to join, it makes my decision to donate that much easier. I enjoy the chats leading up to the trip and meeting other members, before meeting them in person. I agree it should not be mandated, but as long as it is optional, I don’t see what the problem is. Each group has different standards of how they operate. One trip I had already scheduled and found out there was a group there that week that I would have liked to have joined. Since this group was tied to a travel agent that was not the one that I had already booked with, it was going to cost $125 to join. I didn’t see where there was going to be anything special the group was doing that was worth that amount, so I didn’t join the group, but still hung out with them the most of the time minus their private events. If you want to donate - great. If you don’t want to donate that is ok too, but you shouldn’t be so upset when other people have no problem giving a little to have a better vacation. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by Bitofsunshine; 05-20-2014 at 04:30 PM.