Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feb. 22 - March 1 Much improved with new owners

Feb. 22 - March 1 Much improved with new owners

As we have on the last several trip “back home”, we decided to fly out of JFK to take advantage of the nonstop flights, rather than out of Hartford. As it is a 2 hour drive, and the flight is early in the morning, we go down the night before and stay at the Courtyard by Marriott. If you are in the area looking for a place to stay before a flight, I highly recommend this hotel. It has the best customer service of any courtyard that we have stayed at. Our flight with Caribbean Airlines was on Saturday morning, Feb. 22 at 5:40 am. We woke at 3 am so that we could get freshened up and take the hotel shuttle at 3:30 am. While getting ready, I noticed a message from a friend who would also be on our flight saying it was delayed until 8 am. It was too late to back to bed so we decided to go to the airport. Upon checking the flight on my phone, I noticed it said the flight was cancelled. I immediately checked Delta to see if they had seats on their nonstop. Upon arrival at the airport, a non-employee representative for Caribbean Airlines told us that the flight was not cancelled only delayed. I reiterated what the airlines web site was showing. He said he was printing luggage tags so the flight was not cancelled. After arriving at the gate, we began hearing rumors that the flight was going to Kingston, rather than Montego Bay. A check with the gate agent (also a non-employee) assured us that the flight crew said they were taking the aircraft to Montego Bay. It was not until we were in the air did the pilot tell us that we were indeed going to Kingston. He said another flight crew would get onboard and take the plane to MoBay. Little did we know that it was not going to be that easy. Upon arrival in Kingston, we had to gather up our carryon bags, deplane, clear Jamaican immigrations and wait till the plane was serviced before we were allowed back on board. Our arrival in MoBay was eventually four hours late. Upon writing to Caribbean Airlines after our return, they did offer a $200 credit voucher per person which was a little less than half what we originally paid for the tickets.
    We had a full bus of anxious Hedo Fluffs and told the driver that we did not want to stop anywhere in between. He told us that he might have to stop to use the bathroom and we told him to go before we left the airport. We did make a straight shot to Hedo. Upon arrival, we were given the usual form to fill out. As I was doing that, a woman called our name and told us to follow her. Since we were booked into one of the new Nude Beach Jacuzzi Premium (NBJP) rooms, our check in would take place in our room where she would show us all the new features. As much as we love the “classic” rooms and all the changes that were made over the years (NOT), the new NBJP was a breath of fresh air. It contained all new furnishings, and fixtures in the bedroom as well as the glass enclosed bathroom. This new style room will give Desire RM a run for their money. Our only complaint was that there was less drawer space and no place to store our luggage. We loved the photo behind the bed with the control panel that could turn on the backlight in various colors and brightness. Our overhead mirror was one solid piece and also had backlights. Unfortunately, or ceiling mirror lights were not working. One of the owners tried to get them to work and eventually had to place a call into maintenance. The lights were not working the entire week but it was not a big deal. The slider to the deck is magnetic and you must push a button to release the magnet. From the outside, there is a keypad to allow you into the room. For evenings, there is a double lock on the door so that releasing the magnet or attempting to pry the door open will not work. Besides the normal daily housekeeping, we had nightly turndown service and delivery of clean towels. Unfortunately there were no mints left on our pillow. Our Jacuzzi was maintained every day by Damian. He stopped by a couple of times each day to clean, add chemicals and replenish any lost water and ask if we needed anything. He was fantastic! Several of us asked for a way to clean our feet off before going in the Jacuzzi so that we did not bring sand in there. We explained that it would keep the Jacuzzi cleaner and make his work easier. He later brought us a cut off gallon jug so that we could scoop out water to wash our feet. Prior to going, I had asked if there were room numbers on the beach side so that we would know which room was ours. They said no but would add it to their list of things to do. The cost would be no more than a few dollars per room. Instead, we went to the dollar store and bought a couple of strands of battery powered LED lights and some Mardi Gras decorations to make our deck stand out.
    Overall service at the resort, in my opinion, is way up. Granted I had a hat with my name on it, but the first time I went to the bar for a drink, I heard “What can I get you to drink Joe?” When I received what I asked for, I heard “Thank you Joe.” Even walking down a pathway, staff would greet me by name even if they only saw me once or twice. The entire staff has always been friendly but I think it was kicked up a notch this year. Dining room staff was very pleasant and willing to gout of their way. If you were to ask for something, they were right there with it, not 10 minutes later. If they say you trying to do something on your own that was part of their responsibility, they would come over and take care of you. When asked of several staff members how things were going at the resort since the new ownership, they said it is better than it has ever been. They are very happy with the new owners and really enjoy working there. They are treated well and are the highest paid of any resort on the island. They also share in the gross proceeds every week as tipping is not allowed. On a very full week, this could mean an extra 2 ½ times their weekly salary. Finding this out did not deter us from discretely making a few tips to some various people. We do bring down bags of good chocolate miniatures which we gave to the morning and evening housekeeper, dining room staff and also Damian our Jacuzzi guy.
    We remember the days when one would go to Hedo and lose weight because of the food offerings and tasteless desserts. I am happy to say that the food has improved so much. Besides the two egg stations where you can get eggs any way you like, there are made to order waffles and pancakes next to the ham carving station. Along with the usual offerings, there was a quiche offering every day. Beside the preformed hash browns, there was a potato hash. Fresh fruit was in abundance and was very delicious. For the first time ever, I saw soursop on the fruit station. Dinner was out of this world! Last year, I was at the Pasta Station most of the nights. This year, the choices were so varied. One night at the carving station there was Roast Suckling Pig as well as Herb Rubbed Duck. The Lasagna al Forno one night was delicious while another night the Citrus Jerk Pork was to die for. As some have complained that the starch every night had been limited to rice and beans, this year saw Parmesan Roasted Potatoes, Mushroom Risotto and Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges among the starch offerings. Several times I was tempted to go back to my room and get a ziplock bag so that I could fill it with items from the dessert area. In the past, it seemed they made desserts without sugar and were tasteless. This year, they were decadent and I am sure they contributed to an extra pound or two.
    Not much has changed with the beach. There is still a lot of sea grass on the bottom and unless they improve the flow of the current by removing the jetty, it will always be a problem. There are new lounge chairs that we thought were very nice. One big improvement over the old chairs is that the new ones can go completely flat so that once can lie on their stomach without having their legs elevated. The new lounge chairs has arms on the side. Being Hedo, we did hear a complaint or two that the new chairs with the arms make it more difficult to have sex in them. It seems that there were fewer blue floats around and the ones we did see were on people’s lounge chairs. Normally, mornings would see a lot of people floating around but there was none of that this year. The pool was kept clean while the nude hot tub still had issues a couple of times with too high of a temperature or too much chlorine to the point where it was affecting people’s eyes. The resort added stairs to two “leafs” of the nude hot tub and they are an eyesore and take up too much space. As the bases of the stairs are no longer anchored to the bottom of the hot tub, it makes a dangerous situation and several people did get cut on them.
    The bars were well stocked with a lot of premium liquors than in the past. We heard someone comment that they were pleased to be able to get Crown Royal at the pool every day. There was also a variety of flavored vodkas which made for some interesting and new drinks. Bananas were available every day.
    Hedonism II has improved in the past year with the new ownership. They are one year into a five year plan and if the next four years are just as good as their first, they will have a lot of happy people coming back year after year. We have always told people that we didn’t go to Hedo for the accommodations or the food. We go for the people and the camaraderie among old friends and new friends that we have not met yet. The people we go with every February are like family to us. Our family becomes larger and larger every February. If I tried to thank all the wonderful people we knew or met on this trip, it would take a page of its own. If you met Hedo Joe or Yellin’ Ellen, you know that we were grateful to meet you and are so happy that you are now part of our lives.
    Last edited by HedoJoe; 03-06-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

thanks for the trip report! cant wait to go back "home" in november. My hubby will be so excited to hear about the improvement in food!

Excellent report HedoJoe, very comprehensive. Thanks for posting
    We really noticed the dramatic improvement in the desserts this year, validated by our bathroom scale when we returned home.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Great report!!! Can't wait to taste some of that food mmmm. How did you get ready in the morning in 30 minutes? Takes my wife that long just to get out of bed. Ha Ha
    1ST TRIP APRIL 27TH MAY 1ST 2013
    2ND TRIP WITH KITTEN&ANGEL'S SPRING FLING APR 12TH TO APR 18TH 2014
    3RD TRIP WITH KITTEN&ANGEL'S SPRING FLING APR 10TH TO APR 17TH 2015.
    4TH TRIP WITH KITTEN&ANGEL'S SPRING FLING APRIL 8TH TO 15TH 2016
    5TH TRIP WITH KITTEN&ANGEL'S SPRING FLING APRIL 17TH TO 22ND 2017
    6TH TRIP KITTEN&ANGEL'S SPRING FLING APRIL 6th to 14th 2018
    7TH TRIP MAY 4TH TO MAY 11TH WITH TANTRIC HEARTS.
    8TH TRIP November 6th to 14th
    9TH TRIP APRIL 30TH TO MAY 8TH

Great report! You forgot about the PUMPKIN MASHED POTATOES! Those were to die for, every time they had them, I had a nice helping! I agree with everything you said, it is nice to get noticed and also to see smiling faces. The improvements are wonderful!
    **EX** Hosts of the Nood Brood (we are out of the hosting game now)

www.noodbrood.com

We still highly recommend Nood Brood though, lots of wonderful friends!

You're right! I did forget the pumpkin mashed. So many new things on the menu.
    Joe & Ellen

SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1

TY for the update, especially the Jacuzzi Oceanfront rooms which we will have in June. Great tip on getting off the sand which will eventually ruin the filters (we have a spa at home). If we may ask how was stocked refridg thing? Cheers, W&M

Great report. I agree that all has improved since last year, in particuLar the food and we won't talk about that bathroom scale issues I had when I returned. Took a week but all is back to normal now

Glad to see the improvements 50 more days!
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Great report Joe, hope to party again with you one day.
    CopNkitten..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Thank you for the report! Great tip/suggestion about the LED lights and Mardi Gras decorations to make the room easier to spot from the beach side.
    Hedonism II - April 11-18, 2014 - Kitten and Angel's Group

SLS - SouthShoreMACouple

Thanks for the detailed report. Less than a month to go and this make us even more exited!

Hi HedoJoe,

While I do enjoy food, and yes I really do... And it sounds like it's slightly upgraded for the Fluffs cause I didn't see any duck while I was there at the beginning of Feb. I want to know about the PARTY! How were the flufferdeck parties? The entertainment? Did lots of people dress in costume? Was it lots of fun or what?

Quote Originally Posted by kudu2462 View Post
    TY for the update, especially the Jacuzzi Oceanfront rooms which we will have in June. Great tip on getting off the sand which will eventually ruin the filters (we have a spa at home). If we may ask how was stocked refridg thing? Cheers, W&M
    Our fridge was stocked with water, Coke, Sprite, Cranberry Juice and Red Stripes. When the guy comes in the afternoon to refill it, you can always request more or less of something. We also had a 375ml bottle of Grey Goose and a 200ml of Appleton V/X and a bottle of Champagne. As these were emptied or removed, they would replenish them as well.
    Joe & Ellen

SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonflixxx View Post
    Hi HedoJoe,

While I do enjoy food, and yes I really do... And it sounds like it's slightly upgraded for the Fluffs cause I didn't see any duck while I was there at the beginning of Feb. I want to know about the PARTY! How were the flufferdeck parties? The entertainment? Did lots of people dress in costume? Was it lots of fun or what?
    It is possible that duck is an every other week thing as I have herd others mention it as well. The Fluffs held three pool parties. The first was a Glow Party on Saturday night which was over the top. The pool deck was overflowing with people. The other two were fun but not as well attended. This year, the Fluffs held a beach party one night with live entertainment. The brought in Peter Lloyd, a Jamaican singer/actor, to do an hour long concert. He was scheduled to go to Germany for a concert tour right after his appearance at Hedo II. All of these pool parties and the concert were open to anyone at the resort, not just those who booked with The Fluffs.

There were a lot of people dressed for the themes, some themes more so than others. We always have a blast when we go with The Fluffs!!!
    Joe & Ellen

SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast