Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C/O Beach and Sea Urchins...

C/O Beach and Sea Urchins...

I read somewhere that the resort is attempting to "relocate sea urchins" from the beach. I don't know how long of a process this is, if it will be done soon enough for our trip in March but I was wondering if these "sea urchins" are also in the beach area on the Clothing optional side? I don't want to have to bring water shoes with us if I can get away with it but I do love to grab a drink and a floatie and walk out the beach and float around..

we've seen staff inthe morning with snorkel and mask picking up bags and bags of urchins. They get better for awhile and a couple of days later...again bags and bags of urchins. They seem to love the lack of current behind the hook. I've seen them on the CO side too, just not as plentiful. I'd still bring water shoes, if not, at least "shuffle" in the water. better to kick them with a toe than step on them
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Bring your water shoes, good ones. Love the water along all of the beach but there are places where the rocks are sharp underfoot as well as the urchins. I had three small spines that the resort nurse took out of the side of my foot just above where the thick rubber ended one year and the three models one year ended up playing with them. If you LOOK you can see them, black against the sand and rocks.

We've got our water shoes ready and raring to go...I can't guarantee how stylish they will look with the suits we plan on wearing (the birthday variety!), but better safe than sorry and injured.
    Hedonism II - April 11-18, 2014 - Kitten and Angel's Group

SLS - SouthShoreMACouple

we've never used water shoes --just pay attention to where we walk in the water.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

You can't see them in the grass... For 10$ and a few ounces in the bag, I don't see the issue.

We use water shoes. They are worth the cost as sea urchin barbs can really really bugger the week.

We always use our..why take the chance? And then have a crummy rest of your trip...I agree with pillygirl22. Better to be safe than sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl22 View Post
    You can't see them in the grass... For 10$ and a few ounces in the bag, I don't see the issue.
    No issue just a personal preference. Just have never used them but then again I won't walk in the sea grass either.
    Shuffle my feet and ride a float over the grass. I just love to be barefoot.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

We opted for floating on rafts in the water rather than walking thru the sea grass so it wasn't an issue for us.

A couple of years ago Lady Sarah got a foot-full of urchin spines when she stood up whilst snorkelling off the prude beach; they hurt!! I suppose I would rather wear the water shoes if the urchins are still there, rather than getting a - very - sore foot............................
    Keep on having fun

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    I always pack water shoes but in the excitement of going to the beach I forget to bring them out with me. I then avoid the grass and keep a keen eye on where I'm walking when in the water and have been able to avoid stepping on them. This time I'm going to be better about bringing my shoes, wouldn't want to get careless after a few drinks and end up stepping on one!

You don't just have to be careful of the sea urchins in the grassy areas. There are also stingrays buried in the sandy area. We had a friend that got barbed by a stingray walking in the sandy area, he stepped on the ray and got smacked by it's tail.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

looks like i should invest in some for us but knowing how we are, we will probably get caught up in the excitement of everything (and the drinks) and forget to put them on or just forget them somewhere! I lose a pair of flip flops usually each trip...too much tequila! Anyway, if we don't get them then we will try to float away from the shore on a floatie.

Question: do the urchins like the shallow water or are they found in say..5 feet of water? Just asking because I am usually on the float and hubby likes to wade through the water pushing me around while I relax with a drink.....He is tall so he usually walks out to his chest level....Just hoping there is a way around the shoes and the urchins....and rays....

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    looks like i should invest in some for us but knowing how we are, we will probably get caught up in the excitement of everything (and the drinks) and forget to put them on or just forget them somewhere! I lose a pair of flip flops usually each trip...too much tequila! Anyway, if we don't get them then we will try to float away from the shore on a floatie.

Question: do the urchins like the shallow water or are they found in say..5 feet of water? Just asking because I am usually on the float and hubby likes to wade through the water pushing me around while I relax with a drink.....He is tall so he usually walks out to his chest level....Just hoping there is a way around the shoes and the urchins....and rays....
    They are at all levels and it would be particularly dangerous in deeper water where you cannot see the bottom clearly. I strongly recommend the shoes.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast