Thread: For the Canadians---Rogers Cell service in Jamaica

For the Canadians---Rogers Cell service in Jamaica

This is for the Canadians that have used a travel plan from Rogers while in Jamaica.......I need to call home while away and text. For any of you who have an iphone and have used a Rogers plan, did you have any trouble calling out or texting? We have a family member who is sick and I can't be out of contact so I just wanted to make sure that the Rogers plan will work. Last time I purchased one to use in Jamaica years ago, I couldn't call out for some reason it kept disconnecting. I want to be sure that I can call home and I've read about buying a phone there or something like that but I'd rather just use my phone IF I'm able to...

They have 80 minutes talk time and 200 sent texts (unlimited incoming text) for $90.00.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Hank; 01-22-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    This is for the Canadians that have used a travel plan from Rogers while in Jamaica.......I need to call home while away and text. For any of you who have an iphone and have used a Rogers plan, did you have any trouble calling out or texting? We have a family member who is sick and I can't be out of contact so I just wanted to make sure that the Rogers plan will work. Last time I purchased one to use in Jamaica years ago, I couldn't call out for some reason it kept disconnecting. I want to be sure that I can call home and I've read about buying a phone there or something like that but I'd rather just use my phone IF I'm able to...

They have 80 minutes talk time and 200 sent texts (unlimited incoming text) for $90.00.

Thanks for any help!
    Not from cananada, but we use VIBER. Free app on I phone. You would have to get wifi at resort, and good wifi at home. My daughter was in Wales for summer and it worked great. We use at Hedo to call home,works good. Sometimes you have to work for wifi signal at Hedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachrett View Post
    Not from cananada, but we use VIBER. Free app on I phone. You would have to get wifi at resort, and good wifi at home. My daughter was in Wales for summer and it worked great. We use at Hedo to call home,works good. Sometimes you have to work for wifi signal at Hedo.
    They have updated the wifi in the last year and I have heard it works much better. Never used it when I was there, no need. But this is what I have heard.
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Rogers works just fine at Hedo, they have roaming agreements with both Digicell and Cable and Wireless in Jamaica and there's a tower right outside the Hedo grounds. If you're going to buy Hedo's wifi then you might want to consider not buying the Rogers package and just using Skype/FaceTime for calls (Facetime now works for audio calls as well as video) and iMessage for texting if the people you need to communicate with are also iPhone users, that what we do now. If they're not iPhone users there are there are messaging apps that work on any platform such as WhatsApp or the new BBM which now supports Android and iOS.
    Last edited by Cdn_cpl; 01-22-2014 at 12:50 PM.

We were at hedo in November and my talk and text worked fine. I am also on rogers and use an Iphone.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the replies....I think I will just buy the Rogers plan, sounds like the easiest way to keep in contact. I just have to figure out if "Picture" texts are allowed?

Don't know if you have already bought a plan but we are from Canada and always afraid of all the 'extras' Rogers add. We. Bought a phone from Digicel in Negril 3 years ago for $40us and it came with something like a thousand long distance minutes. We have an account set up and can recharge it online. I just finished doing that today and it cost $18can and is good for 120 days. Hope this helps. Dave

Can you text from the phone as well or is it strictly a talk plan? It's always nice to picture text...quick and easy....(kinda mean..ya..when they are holding a shovel, we are holding our drink!)

Hank, the phone we got was just a basic one, no camera, but you can text. Each text counts as so many minutes, I don't remember the amount, but we have never run out of minutes and we usually stay 2 weeks. I for got to say that the phones can also be recharged at the gas station just across from Hedo.

Sounds like a good plan...maybe we'll do this instead....thx

Thanks for any help!
    My 2 cents...
    Im on Rogers as well and always prefer to get a Digicel SIM card and USB for internet.
    I dont want to be taking calls while on vacation and would rather respond to their message instead.

Cheers,
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.