Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can your past prevent your entry into Jamaica?

Can your past prevent your entry into Jamaica?

Well folks, got a interesting question for the group. The wife and I are considering heading back to the island for our 3rd trip to paradise in May. A very good female friend of ours that I went to high school with and then drifted apart from is considering making her first trip to the island. Only thing is she has a real checked past. She made mistakes, lots of them but she did her time and all of these offenses were well over 10 years ago. Nothing violent, just a young girl that put her trust in the wrong people and they hung her out to dry. She's now a single mother of two who works 2 jobs when her time allows. She recently went on a business trip to Canada and the Canadian customs agent harassed her pretty good before allowing her to enter the country. She would definitely benefit from a trip to hedo, because the people we have met there are by far some of the most genuinely nice and great people to walk the Earth. I'm not asking for anybody to release the details of their past but has anyone else had a similar experience with wondering if they or someone they know will make it into the country? The other thing is is there a way to determine thru a Website or contact if she will be allowed into the country? I imagine she should be fine, but every country is different and I would hate to book her a room and a flight just for her to get turned around at Mo Bay. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Jay.

Perhaps you would do well to check the Jamaican government website on this matter rather than rely on offhand comments made in a site like this.. after all you want to get the actual rules on this, dont you?
    http://www.pica.gov.jm/Departments/Immigration.aspx

Yes, and these forums are a wealth of information. Thank you for the web link, this information along with what has been shared with me privately about other members first hand experiences should help me get the answers I need.

Jay

First question? Can she get a US passport? Needed for air travel to JA but not needed to drive across the border to Canada.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

Quote Originally Posted by earthangel496 View Post
    First question? Can she get a US passport? Needed for air travel to JA but not needed to drive across the border to Canada.
    Actually, you can fly from Canada to Jamaica and you do not need a passport. Your birth certificate will do. Canadians entering the States need a passport and you're saying American's don't need a passport to enter Canada?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proudly proclaiming -- WOW! What a ride!"

Next ride to Hedo: Jan 29th - Feb 16th 2016. :

Yes, they flew to Canada for work and she has a valid US Passport.

As long as she has a valid US passport she will be fine. There is nothing on a Jamaican immigration form that asks about a person's previous indiscretions.

http://www.hermosacove.com/blog/wp-c...1-395x1024.jpg

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Very cool, thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

Blog Entries
    As of a couple of years ago you do need a passport to enter Canada. After swiping my passport at the border they gave me a big hassle about something that happen when I was in college, 40 years ago, but did relent and let me pass. The Canadians are on high alert for trouble. Coming from Maine, if you have a DUI your not getting into Canada. Got asked some sharp questions coming back in. No disrespect to either side, they are just trying to protect......don't get the dui thing tho.

Cheers
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Quote Originally Posted by HI Jay View Post
    Well folks, got a interesting question for the group. The wife and I are considering heading back to the island for our 3rd trip to paradise in May. A very good female friend of ours that I went to high school with and then drifted apart from is considering making her first trip to the island. Only thing is she has a real checked past. She made mistakes, lots of them but she did her time and all of these offenses were well over 10 years ago. Nothing violent, just a young girl that put her trust in the wrong people and they hung her out to dry. She's now a single mother of two who works 2 jobs when her time allows. She recently went on a business trip to Canada and the Canadian customs agent harassed her pretty good before allowing her to enter the country. She would definitely benefit from a trip to hedo, because the people we have met there are by far some of the most genuinely nice and great people to walk the Earth. I'm not asking for anybody to release the details of their past but has anyone else had a similar experience with wondering if they or someone they know will make it into the country? The other thing is is there a way to determine thru a Website or contact if she will be allowed into the country? I imagine she should be fine, but every country is different and I would hate to book her a room and a flight just for her to get turned around at Mo Bay. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Jay.

I was a tad wild as a youngster...... no issues getting into Jamaica.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

Quote Originally Posted by rennie69 View Post
    Actually, you can fly from Canada to Jamaica and you do not need a passport. Your birth certificate will do. Canadians entering the States need a passport and you're saying American's don't need a passport to enter Canada?
    According to http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/jamaica that's not correct. Canadians require a passport to enter Jamaica. No airline would allow you to board the flight without one as they're responsible to get you back if you're refused entry.

Quote Originally Posted by takemetonegril View Post
    As of a couple of years ago you do need a passport to enter Canada. After swiping my passport at the border they gave me a big hassle about something that happen when I was in college, 40 years ago, but did relent and let me pass. The Canadians are on high alert for trouble. Coming from Maine, if you have a DUI your not getting into Canada. Got asked some sharp questions coming back in. No disrespect to either side, they are just trying to protect......don't get the dui thing tho.

Cheers

The DUI "thing" falls under the category of a criminal conviction...if you have a DUI in Canada and want to go to the US or if you are an American wanting to go to Canada and have a DUI conviction the rules are generally the same.. they don't allow people with criminal records to travel unless the conviction is 10 years or older, or if you get advance permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_cpl View Post
    According to http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/jamaica that's not correct. Canadians require a passport to enter Jamaica. No airline would allow you to board the flight without one as they're responsible to get you back if you're refused entry.
    Times have changed, I stand corrected. A friend was over last week and said his buddy flew to Jamaica last year and didn't have/need a passport. They've obviously changed that rule.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proudly proclaiming -- WOW! What a ride!"

Next ride to Hedo: Jan 29th - Feb 16th 2016. :

Blog Entries
    HMMM, okay for either side Canadian or American, how is it that we are protecting our territories from terrorism by keeping dui convictions from crossing the borders.

Jamaica is still part of the British Commonwealth, therefore in the past it was possible for Commonwealth citizens to travel without a passport. St. John and St Thomas are US Caribbean territories that you used to be able to travel to without a passport, but those days are gone. It used to be that you could go to Mexico out of So. Cal with just a drivers license.

It's a different world now.

Thank heavens for HEDO!
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

RE DUI I was told by a Customs Official it was due to the Healthcare. Their reasoning is if you have a DUI you will likely drive drunk or have a drinking issue. Both can increase the risk that you will cause an accident that will cost their Healthcare system money. That is where the 10 year rule comes in, you have to prove that you have changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast