Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Year for PhillyGirl

A New Year for PhillyGirl

Several months ago I started toying with the idea of spending New Year's at Hedo. The new ownership had shown they were improving the place, which was very important to me. And, where better to party and bring in the new year?!
    As I got closer, I realized that work was cooperating with my plan, and I was even able to use my miles for the flight! WOOHOO! I was going to be naked for new years!!!

I know this is not my normal trip report, but.... Any questions, feel free to ask

TRAVEL:
    * Pre-Flight Hotel: Stayed at the Marriott in the airport. Really nice, very relaxing, definitely consider it again.

* Flight: For the first time ever, I missed my flight. I arrived at the airport better than an hour before my flight, but as the lady explained, there was just no way I was going to get my bag checked by TSA AND get myself through security. The airport was a disaster -- people were yelling and upset everywhere. The AMAZING lady with US Air calmly rebooked me on the next flight (I am still in awe that I got the last seat and only managed to miss 2 hours!) and I stood in line relaxed, yet amazed at how long it took. SERIOUSLY was a disaster.Otherwise, no problems. Being a fairly experienced traveler, I couldn't believe I made such a silly mistake. But oh well, need to have some excitement in life!

* ClubMoBay ARRIVAL: I decided this trip was about "no worries" and booked ClubMoBay for Arrival and Departure. Even with missing my flight, there was a gentleman waiting with my name as soon as I got off the plane. We walked along, passing all those waiting in line, and nearly directly up to the Passport Control desk. I had heard some reviews that this was not worth it, and I can see where those who hustled off the plane were not too far behind me. However, I have also waited in a very long line and this was "insurance" for me. All good. After PC the young man found my bag and took me to the front of the Customs line. Again, the line wasn't long. But it is nice to get such 'royal' treatment. A quick stop at the desk for my return bus ticket and then sat in the old Hedo lounge (VERY nicely redecorated!), sipping a rum punch, while nice young man called Mr Easy, my taxi driver.

* Taxi: I decided to book a taxi vs the bus. The bus drives me crazy, with the waiting in the Transportation Hall, waiting on the bus, slow ride, etc. Mr. Easy was waiting for me with trunk popped open as I exited the building.(And was also super accommodating considering I missed my flight!)
    Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, this is not a "town car" or even a taxi in what Americans may be expecting. It was his beat up old whatever. But regardless, it was a very nice drive. Mr. Easy and I discussed the island, cooking, and whatever else floated through our heads with ease. He had a great selection of music playing, and made sure I was able to get my coffee supplies. (MY "drug of choice")
    He even offered a phone for use, but really, I enjoy being disconnected on vacation. But I can see that being a HUGE advantage to some.

* Bus: I DID take the bus on return. I even jumped on the earlier one, as sitting around the dining room was driving me crazy. It was just myself and another couple, and we didn't make any other stops. Arrived in about 1 hour, 10 minutes. No problem mon.

* Club MoBay Departure: Now that you don't have to do Passport Control on the way out, it is not AS great a "deal" as when it started. However, it is still VERY nice. They wisk you through several passport "checks" and into Security. Once through, a short walk to the Lounge and it's like you're back on vacation. Open bar, food, comfy chairs, great service... free wifi, outlets to charge-up before the flight.... Even a place to leave your bags if you want to go shopping! (And a shower!!) Great way to ease back into reality.

RESORT:
    * Check-in: Easy-peasy. A few items on the form, my room key was waiting. I was "upgraded" to Nude Garden, which was cool with me. (Other than having no idea where that building was! lol) There was no credit card required, unless you wanted to be able to charge to the room. (I have heard a variety of reports on this, but that was the case for me on Friday, December 27th at ~4pm!) Oh, and no more towel cards. Just two towels in your room waiting for you

* Check-out: Just as easy. They don't give you a feedback form anymore. Guess they get enough feedback on these forums! Or maybe the ladies were a little hung-over on New Years day like I was! lol You don't get an eviction notice, and you do need to bring your own bags to the lobby. Once there, you can leave them.

* Room: Ok, I've also felt the rooms left a LOT to be desired. And I get everyone's opinion that "you're hardly in the room." But there is still a "value proposition" at hand, and Hedo's rooms were not making it a good one. MY ROOM had Green Curtains (not plaid), the old plaid lamp, a flatscreen tv, a mini-fridge, an exposed door lock (but it worked!), same old battle ship gray trim, a disgusting/stained/missing grout floor, those hideously gross throw rugs, the god-awful WHY HEDO WHY bedspread, linens that worked as an overnight exfoliator and pillows that were worse than what I had on the overnight train from Paris to Rome. Oh, and most drawers didn't open. My bathroom had a sink that mustered a dribble when you really tried, and a toilet that wouldn't flush urine. The shower hardware had been replaced, and honestly, once I learned HOW TO USE the shower, was the best part of the room. (Yes,the first night, after asking my neighbor for help and he couldn't get it working either, I took a "shower" in my sink. Yes, the dribble sink. Needless to say, I was late for dinner!)
    PLEASE NOTE: MY room did not have a phone, or a clock. PERIOD. Not one that didn't work, or sometimes worked, or whatever. NO PHONE. I can honestly say, I wasn't real happy about that....

I did get a chance to see two other rooms (hee hee): One was the new 2nd floor fully renovated, and the other a "facelifted" room. (new linens, mattress, etc)
    The renovated room with the balcony was REALLY nice, even with the "freaky mirrors" and "are you trying to impress me or give me a seizure" lights around the above-bed mirror! Oh, and the glass-enclosed bathroom is frosted, does have a door, and the toilet is "tucked in the back" so no worries mon...

* Food: I've never had a problem with the food, and I clearly saw an improvement this trip. Still not great, but still way more than sufficient.

* Booze: WOO HOO!! Usually I had to beg for Absolute, and settle for some home-concocted Ting substitute. NOT THIS TRIP! Grey Goose was the norm, and plenty of Ting. The martini bar on Friday night (and New Years) was AWESOME. And they never ran out of glasses. MUCH BETTER.

* People: I must say, I never got what everyone's "thing" with the nude pool bartenders was. However, this trip, was like a light switch. Smiling, friendly, quick.... it was like another place! Michelle is new to me and her smile is CONTAGIOUS! However, Eldon is still my Jamaican Sweetie and my FAVORITE bartender in the world The EC group was friendly and I found Eaton to be a stand-out. There were plenty of activities in my opinion. And the music -- having a DJ at the pool is very nice. You can hear it on the beach, too. Very nice, if not a little too loud.

* Grounds/Facilities: Grounds were gorgeous and well kept as always. General Area bathrooms were neat and clean. Beach was clean and those poor watersports guys were HUSTLING to keep up with the chair demand. But I don't feel there was ever a moment when you couldn't get one if you wanted. You just had to give it a bit more effort. The new steps into the hot tub are a bit much, but nice for those who struggled. The cubbies next to the hot tub are AWESOME!! The gazebos on the beach are nice, too. (Although not my thing...) And they just launched a big yellow hard plastic "float" out in the water. I'm sure that will see some use!!

PACKING:
    * Don't forget conditioner -- they still only provide the all-in-one crap
    * Watershoes -- although I hear they are "relocating" the sea urchins, I still saw a few with "ouchies" because of run-ins
    * BIG mug for water
    * Sunscreen and aftersun -- it happens!

ETC:
    * I did the One Love Bus Tour. Interesting! I think I would have been happy with a few less bars, but great way to see places you wouldn't ordinarily see.
    * I skipped diving this year, as I was JUST getting over that cold, and really couldn't afford to freak out my sinuses before this big 6 week push at work. However, I heard all good things and still enjoyed a very big "Welcome back" hug from Derrick.
    * I saw much less "PDA" in the pool and hot tub than other trips, and never once saw a single body shot
    * There was a male gay couple there that was extremely pleasant and fun. Most didn't bat an eye, but one couple had to roll their eyes and give a look. Seriously? They did nothing but come up and say hello. SHAME on you.

THE CELEBRATION:
    New Years Eve is a BIG night at Hedo, and they did a GREAT job. They had LOTS Of tables, tons of servers, ran out of nothing I could see. The entertainment was awesome. I danced until I couldn't dance no more, and then went out, stripped down, and collapsed in the main pool. I have to say, I had an AMAZING time due to some really amazing people, both guests and staff. Thank you all I NEEDED this trip, the fun, the laughs, and you all made it happen for me.

thank you so much for the trip report! so exciting to hear about the resort from your perspective!

Great report Phillygirl22, very well written!
    Sorry to read that your room was not up to standard! A toilet that wouldn't flush would really piss me off (I know, bad pun)
    Thanks for posting!
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Glad you had a good time !!!

Registered User beauty and Bear's Avatar
    Phillygirl22 thanks for the report! Very interesting. We leave for our inaugural hedo trip in just over a week. The rooms sound a bit like rolling the dice but we are not deterred. we can't wipe the smiles off our faces but time seems to slow just a bit every day... LOL!

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year, glad you had a good time.

Cheers
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Great trip report. Glad to hear of the cubbies, I know several people have discussed this with the owners, me being one of them. Where are they located at? Do they have any by the pool area too?
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Thanks for the trip report PhillyGalInATuTu

Love your sense of humour, just love it.

Respect...
    Kama Sutra Week - Jan 26th - Feb 2nd, 2013
    www.hedokamasutra.com

Cubbies on Wall at hot tub only.

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Thanks for a great trip report PG22.However,inquiring minds want to know if the toilet issue was ever resolved?Did you change rooms?

Thanks for the report, that did help with the DIF!
    March 9th - March 18th "Round 5"
    Mike N Shannon

Great report as always.
    You had to bring your own bags up?
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Toilet issue was not unique...brought it up once and I got a look that said "tell me something I don't know. " so I just flushed many times. ...

Yeah Cop! You better start the night before! Lol
    I heard you could call, but without a phone...I only had one bag, didn't seem worth it

Good trip report!

Once we realized that we didn't get an eviction notice (the day before we left) we just went up to the front desk and arranged for our guy to come get our bags the next day. Yeah, with ONE bag, probably not worth it but with 8 bags, definitely!!

We WILL do NYE in Jamaica again!

Hey Phillygirl! Did the sheets at least cover the whole mattress. That made me crazy that they used 2 flat sheets that each one was at least a foot too short. I don't want my feet or face on a raw mattress.

Good to hear about the nude pool bartenders being friendly. Eldon in the Piano Bar was a great guy when I was there.

Maybe the rooms will keep improving, at least my room Prude Garden had a working toilet and shower and was pretty clean but the sheets not covering the beat up mattresses were pretty disgusting. One mattress they gave us was over 15 years old by the label on it. 15 year old is good for Scotch but not a mattress in a hotel where they leave them stacked up outside sometimes. I'd also like to see screens on the bathroom window because the open louvers aren't enough to keep bugs from flying in.

Keep the reports coming in and maybe they will make the changes especially when the group leaders mention it to them.
    Last edited by HailCaesar; 01-16-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast