Thread: Snorkeling

Snorkeling

We would like to go Snorkeling this year, for some reason last year the "sand gravity" was to strong to get up and go find out about it, and we had not done our research before we got there.

We see where it is included, but is it something they do several times a day, one a day, once a week? Any help would be great!

EDIT: Just realized we left the gate open as far as not making it clear what kind of "Snorkeling" we were talking about. We are talking about the kind where you go out in the water, put a mask on and swim around looking at the sea life. Forgot who we were asking!!
    Last edited by VaLovers; 01-01-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    March 9th - March 18th "Round 5"
    Mike N Shannon

There are 2 snorkel trips per day. The morning tends to be best and is something like 10:30am. The afternoon trip is something like 2pm. Both take ~1 hr total - a nice bite-sized activity.

The snorkeling is wonderful but it's hard to make it to the dive shack no matter who you are. I didn't go at all during my last trip and I usually make it a point to go out a couple of times. Maybe next time.....Scuba is also included long as you're certified. Hedo offers some wonderful amenities.

Oh yeah, the times are 11 and 2 daily.
    Promises may get friends but
    'tis performance that keeps them

are the snorkeling trips clothing optional? and if so they go where textiles, families etc also go?

Quote Originally Posted by nogozitu View Post
    are the snorkeling trips clothing optional? and if so they go where textiles, families etc also go?
    This thread has been covered many times, so you'll find a number of replies if you search the archives.

The morning snorkel trip is 11:30 sharp. You may be swimming solo or with a dozen and a half others (depends on the weather, sand gravity etc.). What you wear/don't wear is totally up to you. Most people wear something, if only to save being nibbled on or dragging body parts over the coral.

There are three (generally) sites used, depending on winds etc. Out front of the resort (about a kilometer out) is the main inner reef. This is popular with other resorts so attracts inexperienced swimmers with little regard to the coral. Hedo's boat overlaps with them for about five minutes. This site is visited most often and has loads of fish and corals.

Back of Booby Cay (the island to the right of the nude beach) has a sheltered reef area. The waters and coral are darker and 'appear' less inviting. But take it slow and there's some interesting stuff here. My best spotted ray photo was from this location. Visited rarely.

Round the cape into Bloody Bay are the caves -- a series of about three caves and coves set into the 3 m high cliffs. This areas is relatively untouched. Swimming into the caves at low tide is spooky (to say the least. At high tide your snorkel scrapes along the roof of the caves. But the experience is exhilarating (reserved for those who ask for 'the caves').

Also: the Tuesday nude catamaran cruise $50, or $55 pp) stops at least once for snorkeling. Nobody wears much for this trip, but the snorkeling is more 'mass appeal' than serious. Fun but you may not feel comfortable with your underwater camera!

Of course, you can always borrow the gear and head out from the beach on your own. Lots of easy to see fish around the pier -- even a small shark, rays and lion fish at times.

Snorkeling is free. The gear is OK. The staff are excellent and respond very well to polite questions and asking their advice.

This is one of my favorite morning activities. back on the sand in time for a beer, and lunch. Oh, and my underwater videos this fall were excellent.

PNK

PNK, thanks for the very comprehensive post. i like to snorkel and went on the catamaran trip, but quite frankly the snorkeling wasn't good. I will try at least one of the sites you mentioned.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Snorkeling is clothing optional if there are no other dive boats around. Definitely recommended.

PNK...thanks for the in depth reply, that pretty much answered all the questions we had!
    Mike N Shannon

Have a great trip VaLovers, wish we were joining you guys and the rest of the Wild Women!

Take a bun or five from the buffet in the morning (the bread ones lol) hold them in your hand while snorkeling hundreds of small fish will come and see you. We usually snorkel nude but one trip I had on my swim trunks with a bun in the mesh pocket. Well the water was dissolving the bun and I was leaving a chum trail in the water without knowing it…… Yup little fish will swim up your leg and nibble on stuff. Snorkeling was one of our favorite things to do. Oh ya, and that was the trip my wife though I was getting irritated at her for trying to take my picture nude under water. Her mask was fogged up and it was some other guy she was poking and trying to get him to look at her. We found out when we got home and developed the pictures were of some other nude guy. Whoever you are the pictures are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_cpl View Post
    Have a great trip VaLovers, wish we were joining you guys and the rest of the Wild Women!
    We will for sure miss you two!! Maybe next year.
    Mike N Shannon

If bananas are available in the dining room, bring one back to the beach and smash up small pieces at a time. The fish are attracted to it.
    Joe & Ellen
    Desire Pearl - April 18-26, 2023
    Hedonism II - July 18-26, 2023
    Desire Pearl - September 5-13. 2023
    Nile Lifestyle Cruise - January 26 - February 8, 2024

AFF & Kasidie- Empty_Nesters
    SLS - CT_empty_nesters
    SDC - emptynesters1
    http://www.sdc.com?ref=9857

They also have a glass bottom boat ride over those areas.
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/