Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MoBay V.I.P. service

MoBay V.I.P. service

WE have read that there is a new VIP service on arrival and departure. The question is: Is it worth the $55 on arrival and the $35 for departure? What are your likes/dislikes with the program?

Thanks.

GBP

I have used Club MoBay for departure. Is it worth $35? Totally depends on you.
    What it gets you: special line through Security. (As of my trip in May, they are no longer doing exit passport control. Maybe someone can confirm this wasn't just a fluke?)
    This can be really useful if you're flying out on a popular day/time.
    It also gets you access to Club MoBay. Free Wifi, drinks (including alcohol), TV, lounge, etc. (maybe even a shower?)
    If you are like me, I enjoy a few drinks and the wifi to slowly ease myself back into reality....
    And, depending on your mode of transportation, you could be sitting at the airport pretty early! (Back in the Hedo bus days, this was a no-brainer for me. Will have to see about the new transport...)

On entry, if you're arriving on a Saturday, I would recommend it if you have the money. The passport control line can be brutal...

Philly, now you raised another question for us: In 2011 when we were there, we took "the bus" How do you get to the resort now?

Bus transport still exists (JTL is the one off the top of my head), but you need to book it independently or through your Travel Agent.
    or you can take a cab.
    or you can take a plane (Tim Air or... oh, crap. Hate when the memory leaves me! Lots of threads on that here!)

But the resort no longer includes it, arranges it, or picks up your bags/reminds you the day before you leave.
    The dreaded eviction notice is gone.
    I'm a little concerned for people forgetting what day it is! lol

And this keeps getting better. Thanks Philly. This part is new to us. How do we find a cab or bus company? Any ideas as to how much a cab and/or bus run from airport to resort? Do cabs park right outside like any other airport? Buses too, for that matter, where they all try to earn your business? And thank you for your insight!

Rocky's taxi and Limo service is recommended by several (you can google it for the phone number). The are about as reasonable as any and they don't wait for a "full" bus. We are using them on the 25th of this month.

Cabs run about 80-100 each way (what I hear) -- but as klasdude says, no waiting.
    The buses are ... I'm going to say 30 round trip?? (Included with Castaways bookings!)

I'm sure there are cabs waiting, but I think it's best to book ahead. Same with the bus.
    However, if you don't... When you exit the Arrivals Hall (after customs) you are in the Transportation Hall. That's where the SuperClubs "lounge" used to be.
    (And where the MoBoy arrivals lounge is now, I assume.)
    From there, you can find a bus company.
    However, I highly recommend booking ahead. Even with reservations this "ordeal" of checking in with JTL and getting a bus assignment took close to 20 minutes!

Then we shuffled out to the bus +5minutes; then waited while they rearranged the entire busload of bags +5minutes; then waited while my mom pitched a fit about the bus being too small +7; then another 3 minutes while the busdriver worked his "fold out aisle seat" magic for me; then another 10 while we circled the airport to domestic arrivals to pick up one more person; then... well, you get the picture! I think my bus days are over...

Rocky taxi, we have tried to find a e-mail adress, but, the one we found, and we tried.... still waiting for a reply...

Please if you have one it would be a great help, we arrive at 20.45 in the evening...for tim air too late..

This lengthy. Found it on Trip Advisor. HOpe it helps!

Traveling to and from Negril...

There are several ways to get to Negril. Each method has advantages, for example cost or speed, and is used by some people every day.

Free - Hotel First, a number of resorts in Negril offer free transfers from the Montego Bay airport directly to the hotel. Hotel provided transfers will normally stop only at resorts operated by one company and thus will normally stop at only one or two hotels in Negril. In most cases you will need to stay a minimum number of nights at the resort to qualify for this service. Contact your travel agent or the hotel directly to see if transfers to/from Montego Bay airport are included in the room rate or not.

Free - Tour Package Second, a number of tour operators, for example Apple Vacations and Sunwing, include free transfers if you purchase a package of a flight to Montego Bay along with a stay at a resort. Tour operator provided transfers may or may not stop at multiple hotels before reaching your resort. The number of stops is determined by the tour operator, the transfer company used, and several other factors. Contact your travel agent or the tour operator to see if transfers are included in the package price or not. Conditions, for example a minimum stay requirement, apply to the offers of some tour operators so ask before you book. Contact your travel agent or tour operator to see if free transfers are included in the price of your tour package

Shuttle Bus If free transfers are not provided by your hotel or by your tour operator then possibly the most economical, while still accommodating, method of transportation to and from Negril is via the shuttle bus. Shuttle bus is probably not the best way of describing an air conditioned vans and buses with an expert driver, who will sometimes narrate during your journey in your shared van or bus. A shared transfer may, or may not, include stops at multiple resorts. Travel time to Negril hotels takes about 1 hr. 15 min. to 1 hr. 30 min. depending on the location of the resort and road conditions. This option can save you half on the price of a private taxi, and without half the hassle. Remember to tip the shuttle bus driver. Some of the shuttle bus operators operating from the Montego Bay airport include the following:

* Tropical Tours and Exclusive Holidays, has two locations inside the transportation hall at Montego Bay Airport, desk #4 and desk #11. Visit them on the web for more details about transfers and tours of the island. Their phone number is (876) 952-1126 or (888) 250-4504 (from USA or Canada).

* JUTA (Jamaican Union Taxi Association) Negril chapter offers van and bus transfers to Negril. To book phone (876) 957-9197. (Please note that JUTA Negril is a different company than JUTA Montego Bay). There is a booth just by the exit from customs at the Montego Bay airport representing JUTA (Jamaican Union Taxi Association) Montego Bay chapter. This second branch of JUTA also offers return trips transfers to Negril resort hotels.

* Jamaica Tours Ltd. provides both shared or private transfers to and from Negril. Their fleet includes 49-seat motor-coaches,10-seat Mercedes Benz buses, Mercedes Benz S Class cars, and other vehicles. Transfers by JTL can be arranged at desk #21 in the transportation hall at the Montego Bay Airport or you can phone (876) 953-3700, e-mail info@jamaicatoursltd.com, or book on-line at http://www.jamaictoursltd.com.

* Pryce Taxi and Tours Jamaica offers shared and private transfers to and from Negril resorts. For more info call (876) 577-3164 or visit http://www.prycetaxiandtoursjamaica.com

* John Wayne taxi and tour guide offers airport transfers, local trips, and excursions from Negril, to anywhere in Jamaica for up to 8 people at really reasonable prices. His minibus is air conditioned and comfortable and he provides a very professional and personable service. To book your airport transfer or trips Email: johnwaynewam@hotmail.co.uk or tel (876) 899-7516.

* Turner Taxi and Tours offers private transportation from Montego Bay airport to Negril with refreshments and your choice of stopping at points of interest on the way to Negril. To learn more call (876) 461-7452 or visit https://www.turnertaxisandtoursjamaica...

* Montego Bay To Negril Transportation offers private transportation to and from Montego Bay to Negril. Their website is https://montegobayairporttonegril.com Works with a group of licensed taxi and tour transportation from Montego Bay to Negril. All operators vehicles are air conditioned, insured and approved by Jamaica Tourist Board. Call (607) 438-0469 and speak to reservation.

* Clive's Transport Service provides transfers from the airport to Negril via air-conditioned vans and provide you with refreshments. Book on-line at http://www.clivestransportservicejama... or call (876) 869-7571.

* Champion Tours Negril provides transportation and tours in and around Negril and throughout Jamaica. Contact Champion at (876) 377-4793 or e-mail ChampionToursNegril@gmail.com.

* Kingsley James of Take Care Tours, www.kingsleystakecaretours.com, is available for private or group transportation throughout the island in a comfortable van. Based in the West End, with 20 years experience. Email reservations to takecaretours@hotmail.com or phone (876) 885-1383.

* Dudley Warren's Big Ship Tours will provide both tours and airport transfer to and from Negril with a/c vans and cold drinks. Call them at (876) 995-4210.

* Reggae Tours offers airport transfer service in an air-conditioned bus or van with a capacity of 7, 16, or 29 passengers. They can be contacted at (876) 772-3327 or on the web at www.reggae-tours.com.

* George "Shorty" Graham operates Shorty Tours. The company conducts tours of all parts of Jamaica in addition to doing airport transfers. Call "Shorty" at (876) 372-3360 for more information.

* Explore Jamaica Transportation & Tours has been transporting visitors to all parts of Jamaica for over 15 years. Their phone number is (876) 850-9892.

* MBT Tours offers 24 hour service to Negril and all other resort areas in Jamaica. They can be reached at (876) 448-5254 or you can e-mail them at mbt-travelandtours@hotmail.com.

* Fabian Tours offers transfers and an included tour (as a package) for a single price. The tour includes Rick's Cafe plus a shopping stop in Negril. Call them at (876) 369-1303 or see them on the web at http://www.fabiantours.com for this unique offer.

* Alfred's Taxi and Tours offers free return transfers from Negril to the airport in Montego Bay. When you book Alfred to pick you up at the airport and take you on a full day tour, he will take you back to the airport for free (contact for full details). E-mail Alfred for a ride or tour at alfredstaxi@aol.com or call (876) 854-8016.

* Road 2 Negril offers airport transfers and private tours of the Negril area. You can reserve your ride in advance by calling (876) 562-6001. Road 2 Negril drivers have vans capable of carrying up to eight passengers with luggage.

* Queen McBeam of Ocho Rios Tours and Transfers offers both transfers and tours of the island. Their website is http://www.ocho-rios.com. You can phone them at (876) 975-5279 or (876) 458-9714 or e-mail ionie@ocho-rios.com

* Talk Of The Town can be contacted by phone at (876)462-5920 or see them on the web at http://www.talkofthetownnegril.com/.

* Alrick Allen www.yourjamaicantourguide.com

* Joe Cool Taxi provides both shared and private transfers between the airport and Negril. Joe Cool will provide you with free drinks during the trip and free international calls to your family at home letting them know that you have arrived. For details see their website www.joecooltaxiandtoursjamaica.com or phone (876) 390-1614.

* PG Tours is a ground transportation company that offer tours, airport transfers, and excursions for resort guests and cruise ship passengers. You can phone them at (876) 851-5729.

* Amstardmc.com is an airport transport company based in Mexico with more than 20 years of service. You can book a transfer either on-line or you can phone them from the USA and Canada at (877) 329-4461 or phone them from Mexico at 01 800 267-8270.

* Paradise Palms Jamaica Tours & Airport Transfers offers transportation services from Montego Bay airport. Available seven days a week from Sangster's International airport (MBJ) to hotels and resorts across the island. You can e-mail them at paradisepalmsjamaica@hotmail.co.uk visit their web site www.paradisepalmsjamaicatours.com or call them in the UK at 0044 2085996516 00447986508439.

Some of the transfer operators listed above have a desk in the arrival hall at the Montego Bay airport (located just as you exit from customs). If there is a desk for the transfer operator in the arrival hall then you can arrange transfers when you arrive in Montego Bay. In addition, most of these transfer operators will allow you to make reservations in advance of your arrival in Montego Bay. Advanced reservations can by made by phone, by e-mail, or via most operators website.

Other transfer operators, those without a desk in the arrival hall but who take advance reservations, will have you turn right and exit the arrival hall to meet their driver. You can make advance reservations with them by phone, by e-mail, or via most operators website.

If you make an advance reservation for transfers be sure to ask which option is being used by your transfer operator. Set the price of the transfer before starting the trip if you have not prepaid for the transfer. If possible, take a written conformation of any transfer reservation you make in advance (for example a copy of an e-mail conformation).

Kingston Bus Those people landing in Kingston can take a bus from Kingston to Negril. Bus service is offered from downtown Kingston to downtown Negril several times most days of the week by South Coast Express (along the south coast of Jamaica) and by Knutsford Express (along the north shore of Jamaica including Montego Bay). Service is very limited on weekends and public holidays. The trip from Kingston to Negril takes about 5 hours each way with several stops along the way on each of the two bus routes.

For more information about days of operation, the departure and arrival schedule, and prices you can e-mail South Coast Express at info@southcoast-express.com or call (876) 957-3751 or see http://www.timeinjamaica.com/south_co.... You can call Knutsford Express at (876) 971-1822 or see their web site http://www.knutsfordexpress.com/. A taxi will be required to reach any Negril hotel from the drop off point in downtown Negril. A second taxi will be required from the Kingston airport to the bus departure point in downtown Kingston.

It is also possible to use Knutsford Express for the trip from downtown Montego Bay to downtown Negril. In this case a taxi will be required from the Montego Bay airport to the bus departure point in downtown Montego Bay. A second taxi will be required to reach any Negril hotel from the drop off point in downtown Negril. Travel time between downtown Montego Bay and downtown Negril is about 90 minutes. Neither bus line stops at or near either international airport (the airport in Kingston or the airport in Montego Bay) or at or near any hotel or resort in Negril, only in the downtown area of both cities.

Note: Sandals Negril is the only hotel in Negril that offers free transfers from the Kingston airport to Negril. If you are landing in Kingston and staying at Sandals Negril, call the Sandals reservation center or the hotel directly to confirm your flight details and the transfer arrangements. If you are staying at any other hotel in Negril you will need to arrange your own transfer to/from the Kingston airport and your hotel in Negril. No tour operator offers free transfers from Kingston to Negril. Travell time from Kingston to Negril is about 5 hours one way. Transfers from Kingston to Negril can also be made by air, see below.

Taxi Regular taxi service is also available from Montego Bay to Negril. There is a taxi stand located just outside the arrival hall (exit to the right) at the Montego Bay airport. A private transfer by taxi for a group of 1 to 4 people should cost about $US60 to $US80 per taxi (plus tip) one way. Use only a licensed taxi with a red license plate and two white letters, one of which is 'P', and digits (for example 'PA1234'). Bargain with the driver to get the best price. Set the price of the transfer before starting the trip.

The distance from the Montego Bay airport to the first Negril hotel (at the north end of Bloody Bay) is about 45 miles. It is an additional 10 miles or so to the hotels on the south end of Negril (those near the Negril lighthouse). Travel time should run from 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min depending on the location of the hotel and on road conditions. Private transfers by taxi can shorten the actual travel time by about 10 min. over a shuttle bus and will avoid any intermediate stops at other hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    WE have read that there is a new VIP service on arrival and departure. The question is: Is it worth the $55 on arrival and the $35 for departure? What are your likes/dislikes with the program?

Thanks.

GBP
    Short answer: yes
    Better answer: hell yes

Arrival skips all the windy-windy queue when you first get there, and after you get your bags. Plus they preflight your paperwork before you have to turn it in. (and they're always friendly) - you don't feel insanely drained ON TOP of the flight..

Departure lets you skip the long line of customs, and puts you at the first available booth. The lounge is also very nice.. Free drinks & snacks - If you took the bus back to MoBay, you're most likely hot & sweaty - they have showers with towels, so you can take a quick shower, and be clean for the flight out (since you will be within A/C from now on)

I rarely get extras.. this is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl22 View Post
    (As of my trip in May, they are no longer doing exit passport control. Maybe someone can confirm this wasn't just a fluke?)
    Depends which airline you're flying with. Most airlines are cooperating with the new electronic system which allows you to bypass the immigration desks when leaving the country but some still aren't. There's signage telling you how to proceed depending on your airline.

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Will someone please explain to this old dinosaur how the mechanics work?I assume you get the VIP service set up with your T/A but when you get to Mobay how do you proceed to bypass the lines as you enter/exit the country?

Quote Originally Posted by ex4fun View Post
    Rocky taxi, we have tried to find a e-mail adress, but, the one we found, and we tried.... still waiting for a reply...

Please if you have one it would be a great help, we arrive at 20.45 in the evening...for tim air too late..
    This is his personal one, make sure to tell him you have already emailed the other one and did not get an answer. He will not like that his staff are not looking after you, he strives on customer service!!! roxroy45@hotmail.com
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nudists View Post
    Will someone please explain to this old dinosaur how the mechanics work?I assume you get the VIP service set up with your T/A but when you get to Mobay how do you proceed to bypass the lines as you enter/exit the country?
    When you enter the country they will actually have a sign with your name on it as you are getting off the plane.

When you are leaving you follow the signs for Club MoBay after you check in with your airline. It is a gamble. I had someone tell me not long ago that they day they were leaving the MoBay line up was longer then the regular line up.
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mac_r_a View Post
    I had someone tell me not long ago that they day they were leaving the MoBay line up was longer then the regular line up.
    I had never seen that - I'm assuming that since MoBay is still a priority process, it would have to be a MUCH longer line before it would be a wash..

However, If I did encounter that, I personally would pick the regular line, if it seemed to be moving faster, and then enjoy the MoBay lounge that much quicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast