Thread: AWOL 2013, my first trip report....

AWOL 2013, my first trip report....

AWOL in Hedo 2013 Trip Report July 24-August 3,

Okay, so I have never done a trip report before, but here goes.

After last year's airline fiasco, TJ and I opted to drive to Chicago to catch a direct flight to the island. Flew American Airlines and landed in MoBay at noon. The flight was nothing to write home about, but after flying numerous European and Middle Eastern airlines, I have learned that the domestic carriers here in the U.S. have forgotten what customer service is really about and AA is no different. Enough about that. Castaways had arranged ground transport to and from Hedo through JTL. The bus was clean, air conditioned and comfortable. There were 3 couples going to Hedo, and numerous others going to more vanilla destinations. The drive went fairly quickly as we had the chance to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

Upon arrival to Hedo at about 2 pm, we were greeted by Ivy, Rick and L/J and S/K with drinks in hand in moments along with our welcome bags. The check in went quick and smooth and our bags were sent to our room. We booked a Garden View Nude room this year and had room 2246. The room was clean, in decent repair, but otherwise the same as last year. The AC unit seemed to have a mind of its own but kept the room comfortable. The phone lines were being worked on and we had a few small issues with them. The hot water was hit or miss this year, but we were assured it was being worked on.

The two newly remodeled rooms were open for viewing as examples of what all the rooms will be upgraded to in the coming months. TJ and I toured them and were absolutely WOWED. The lower level rooms and new hot tubs are awesome. The upper level room had a sliding glass door which opened to a private balcony with room for a few chairs and a table. New mirrors above the beds, new flat screen televisions, completely remodeled bathrooms and new closets really make the rooms feel like a 4 star resort. The bathrooms are all glass with a privacy wall hiding the toilet. Double sinks and oversized rain style shower head are really nice additions.

Next up, food. The buffet was much improved this year. The main line had some interesting new foods and it was obvious that the new chef has put lots of thought into the menu selections. The food was fresh and the serving lines were well stocked and clean. Friday night's lobster was grilled over charcoal vs. the gas grill previously used, MUCH better this year. The desert bar had a great selection as well. Martino's menu was relatively unchanged, but the flavor and quality of the food was great. The Japanese restaurant had improved as well. The nude pool grill added midnight pizzas this year and they were a great late night drunk meal, but the burgers and chicken were much better.

The bars were well stocked this year and I did not hear about anyone running out of their favorite liquor. TJ and I never had to wait very long for refills. Delroy, Scumba and Paulette were always busy, but never too busy to serve us with a smile. The new guy on the piano, Kemmar, was great! Last year, the piano bar seemed to be flat, not anymore. Lots of sing-alongs, great music, many laughs and some sexy dancing made the nights there very special.
    The grounds staff were constantly at work cleaning, trimming, raking and keeping the grounds gorgeous. Augustus, as always, incredibly attentive to his duties. The housekeeping staff were on top of their game at all times. Our housekeeper, LaToya, always had our room spotless and constantly smiling. The wait staff was very attentive as well, clearing tables, keeping glasses full and much friendlier than I noticed before.

The interactions we had with management staff was great, we had one small problem with one of our group adoptees that security was involved with, but it was easily ironed out without a problem. Although I was disappointed in the security guards at the nude pool when 4 of the college students who were there refused to take off their shorts and just sat and ogled by the hot tub. Security asked them to obey the rules or change locations, when they refused, the three security guards walked away and left them there.

Now I have saved the best group of staff for last. The EC's were absolutely wonderful this year. They worked their butts off all day and put on some fantastic shows at night. Fabian, Ethan, Candice, Diane Vanessa and the others were always visible, stopping for a hug or just a quick hello as they passed through. Keeping the guests engaged in activities at the pools or on the beach during the day and making sure that everyone was included. Candice and Ethan, in particular, made our trip feel much more personal. The way the entire staff tries to remember names of the guests really helps everyone have a great time. The shows at night were fantastic, especially the Wednesday night fetish show. I highly recommend that if you catch only one show, make it Wednesday's. You will never look at milk the same again.....just sayin'.

So far as the AWOL gatherings, INCREDIBLE. The greeting on Saturday was great. Monday nights meet-n-greet/ alcohol potluck was a great way to catch up with old friends and meet new ones. Tuesday night's Naughty Gift Exchange was hilarious. Wednesday's Nude Cat to Rick's Cafe was a BLAST. Serena actually came with us, along with a few of the EC's to get the party rocking. Candice, Diana, Kayon, Adrian and Vanessa really made the cruise fun. Rasta Rolph brought his guitar and drums to keep up the energy. The addition of whipped cream and chocolate syrup kept things interesting as well. While at Rick's, AWOL stepped up and three of us, myself included, jumped from the cliff. What a rush. At Thursday night's AWOL dinner there were five $200 comp giveaways as well as a three night comp. Rick and Ivy, who have hosted AWOL since its inception, announced they were stepping down as hosts. TJ and I were announced as the new co-hosts. Friday and Saturday were filled with good-byes as most of the group left for home. Saturday night at Martino's was the 2nd Annual AWOL Hold-over's Dinner and many laughs were had.

This was TJ's and my second trip to Hedo and I have to say that it was even more fantastic than last year. The improvements that are ongoing are wonderful, the staff is great and our AWOL family continues to grow with great people. The only thing that made getting back on the plane for home a good thing was knowing that we are already booked for next year. July 2014 cannot come fast enough. DIF sucks!
    TJ & Chris
    Next trip, Hedo II, July 24-Aug 2 2014
    AWOL 2014, One Love..

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A great trip report, especially for your 1st one, and thank you for sharing! So many positive aspects of Hedo explained and it shows you had a wonderful time!

Totally awesome trip report. Making my DIF til November worse. Ugh. I live for trip reports til every next trip planned. Keeps the awesome memories of home alive.

so sad we missed the annual AWOL hold-over dinner! lol! great trip report!

Wow! Great trip report! It is always reassuring to read about the ongoing improvements. January can't come soon enough for us.
    s
    St. Martin, FWI, 1991-2011
    Hedonism II -January 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (x2), 2017
    Cayo Largo, Cuba, December 1-7, 2014
    Hedonism II - April 10-17, 2016 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 16-23, 2017 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedonism II - April 8-15, 2018 K&A Spring Fling
    Hedo 2 April 14-21, 2019 K&A Spring Fling
    H2 April 8-17, 2022 K&A Spring Fling

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
    Wow! Great trip report! It is always reassuring to read about the ongoing improvements. January can't come soon enough for us.
    We look forward to hearing about how far things have come by January!!!! Keep us posted.
    TJ & Chris
    Next trip, Hedo II, July 24-Aug 2 2014
    AWOL 2014, One Love..

Registered User Naughty Nudists's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeasnapodX2 View Post
    Totally awesome trip report. Making my DIF til November worse. Ugh. I live for trip reports til every next trip planned. Keeps the awesome memories of home alive.
    True words about living for the trip reports.Really enjoyed this one,glad you guys had a nice time.
    NN

Blog Entries
    Great report!! Can't wait to see you next year!!
    Next Trip July 25th 2015 - August 1st 2015!
    Hedo II July 26th 2014 - August 8th 2014 The Happy Bastards Returned!
    Hedo II July 30th - August 13th 2011 The Happy Bastards Returned!
    Hedo II August 2010 The Happy Bastards Returned!
    Hedo II August 2009 The Happy Bastards 1st Reunion!
    February 2009 "The Happy Bastards" was formed!
    Hedo II August 2008 Virgin Trip
    FaceBook: "Bigdog1960"
    Happy Bastards!
    Grinnin and Barin It since 2009!!!