Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Can you show me where this definition of the hedo spirit is written down so I know what to feel more or less of it the next time we go home. Just because you feel a center way doesn't mean its wrong for others to go against it. The only tip I leave is for the maid if she has done an excellent job and has left me plenty of towels during my stay as I ask when we get there.
    What is written down, quite explicitly at http://www.hedonism.com/what-is-hedo...re-you-arrive/, is this: "Tipping is simply not permitted at Hedonism. We cannot emphasize this enough. Your courtesy, respect and a sincere ‘thank you’ are all we ask. However, tipping is customary for all airport baggage personnel, cab drivers, etc."

Yes, I'm sure the maid appreciates the extra money, but do you realize the risk she is taking and the worry that likely ensues? It has been common that staff have been fired for taking tips. So, when you leave her a bit of money, she has to decide if she should take it. I'm sure she could really use the extra money. But, what if that tip is a trap by management to figure out what maids are taking tips and maybe then leaving extra towels or other favors? If she takes that tip, she is taking the risk that she could get fired. No matter what, if she takes that tip, she knows she is breaking the rules.

Cop ..... how about that Hockey Smack talk section -- you might want to start a football one. I'm not a football guy. Bibabe trashes my ass regularly but she loves me like a brother.

We've already started collecting thing for our april trip.

We started our collection of glow sticks to hand out. (just because it makes people smile to share)

The Keurig coffee pot is ready to roll, we'll wait on the k-kups till we leave. Last year there was a line at the door for coffee when we got up. Thanks to the dining staff for helping us get a supply of 1/2 and 1/2 -so we didn't have to go to the dining hall every morning. Yes we make fresh coffee to anyone that asks because sharing is a great thing. (only if you are nice)

Did you plan the theme nights for this April?
    Last edited by millionsnmilo; 07-30-2013 at 10:17 AM.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

Wow everyone, really love the feedback on this thread. Like we posted originally; we just wanted to get the consensus. I wish there was a like botton on this site as there were many points raised we agree with and again why we wanted to ask opinions. In the end and after reading everyones thoughts we will do what we did as we continue to visit this amazing resort, (write excellent feedback for those that deserved it, my wife sent post cards from home as well to those same people thanking them for their excellent service/attention, wife left some articles of her outfits/accesories for a couple of the entertainers, and we will not tip). For us, it's what we feel is right but understand & respect everyone elses thoughts and opinions. Thanks eeveryone.....this site feels like an extention of the resort.....open, honest and in the end.... very sincere. Safe playing all.

Quote Originally Posted by millionsnmilo View Post
    Discretion is rule #1

If I can keep it a secret that I've been to a naked -lifestyle resort (for the last 3 years) from my over the top christian parents , I think sliding one a tip without being detected is an easy thing.

Reread rule #1
    Guess I didn't make myself clear. I never thought or inferred that you could not be discreet passing an employee a tip.

Posting on a public message board that you tip to make sure your chair is set up on the nude beach is tantamount to telling management (who likely reads this board) who you are tipping. Posting that you tip the nude bartenders does the same thing. Doing so puts a target on their backs and gives management a reason to set an employee up….especially a long time employee with lots of retirement funds at risk.

PEOPLE it is dangerous to talk about the kind of employees you tip!!!!!

Cop ..... how about that Hockey Smack talk section -- you might want to start a football one. I'm not a football guy. Bibabe trashes my ass regularly but she loves me like a brother.

We've already started collecting thing for our april trip.

We started our collection of glow sticks to hand out. (just because it makes people smile to share)

The Keurig coffee pot is ready to roll, we'll wait on the k-kups till we leave. Last year there was a line at the door for coffee when we got up. Thanks to the dining staff for helping us get a supply of 1/2 and 1/2 -so we didn't have to go to the dining hall every morning. Yes we make fresh coffee to anyone that asks because sharing is a great thing. (only if you are nice)

I do love you! Even though you have some of the worst sports teams!
    So do whatever it takes
    'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life

H3
    April 27-May 4 2008
    April 24-May 2 2009
    April 23-May 1 2010
    _ R.I.P. H3 _

H2
    April 1st-10 2011
    March 30-April 7 2012
    March 28th-April 6th 2013
    March 27th-April 5th 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CopNkitten View Post
    So how bout that quarterback competition in Philly?
    Cop..
    Coming back from Phoenix last week Donovan McNabb was on my plane. My celebrity sighting for the year.

We will be putting them out very soon.

Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Wow, so many opinions and so many off topics to keep everyone cool. My take from everyone's frank honest options. We don't ave to agree with others opinions, we only need to respect your opinion may be different than mine.

So, what did I learn today. Hubby and I are returning in Sept., and I'm still torn about the tipping issue. I understand, and appreciate the opinions on both sides. There are two people I would LOVE to tip (they gave me above, and beyond service on my last trip in Apr/May) I think instead I will just talk to them, tell them how much I appreciate them, possibly a hug, but that will be all. Maybe they will tell me of an off premises school that can benefit from a donation. I'm one of the people that works a second job, and takes lunch to work to save my money to return to Hedo. So my dollar isn't given away as easy as someone else's dollar may be. Just the way it is. I'm always willing to help others, but I would hate to find out my "help" was a the reason someone lost their job. Just my decision, everyone needs to do what is right for them.

To the Philly person talking football, thank you for Andy Reid, after Todd Haley and Romeo Crenel, we are so happy training camp has started and the first preseason game is around the corner. Go Chiefs!!
    As MillionsnMilo suggested if anyone wants to participate in a football smack talk thread I'm in to represent the KC Chiefs!

Again, thanks to all for your opinions. They are all valid and valuable.

Respect!
    Last edited by ShawneeKat; 07-31-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Misspellings

Well said Kathy!

You can always count on sweet Kathy to say it as it is
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneeKat View Post
    I think instead I will just talk to them, tell them how much I appreciate them, possibly a hug, but that will be all.
    Tell someone in charge. Tell a manager or indicate them on your checkout survey. Managers tend to hear nothing but complaints. They love to hear compliments and what you say may result in promotions, raises, or just good old job security.

Quote Originally Posted by chazo4 View Post
    Tell someone in charge. Tell a manager or indicate them on your checkout survey. Managers tend to hear nothing but complaints. They love to hear compliments and what you say may result in promotions, raises, or just good old job security.
    You are so right, and I should have stated that. My last trip I made a point of filling out the comment card and detailing, with names, the people that gave me awesome service, and I included a couple of suggestions for improving the resort. My previous comment was focused on how I will personally thank individuals for their kindness. In a more public way, the comment cards a also very important. Thank you for adding that for me.

Hedo is such an awesome place and I'm grateful the new ownership team plans to keep it that way.

Respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefbo View Post
    Slow your roll and check your attitude please.

I said my piece in a very non-accusatory and egalitarian manner and stand by it. This is a discussion board. As in discussing things. You have over 1,000 posts on this board, so that should be understood.

Based on the personal messages and the two posts above yours, I am not alone in feeling this way.

The bottom line is it is your vacation, live it like you want, but to go to a resort where one of the core principles is "super-inclusive" and "no tipping allowed" and tip staff in order to get better service for you (which by definition will mean that someone who IS following the resort rules and by the resort's pay scale ALREADY tipped when they paid for their night there will be getting less service while the staff take care of those that have bribed/tipped is disappointing.

A big part of the appeal to a resort like Hedo for me is the fact that I can show up, lock my wallet in my safe immediately after check in and not have to touch it until I am on my way home. I bust my ass for my money and the nickle and dimeing that goes on at more traditional resorts makes the vacation less relaxing for me and less enjoyable. Spending a significant amount of money for a "super-inclusive" resort where no tipping is allowed, then having to wait at the bar for a drink as someone else that chooses to ignore the rules of the resort, shows up to the bar after me and gets served first because they bribed the staff with "tips" makes for a less enjoyable vacation for me.

Look at the threads about issues with people saving chairs with towels. Now take away a few more chairs because they get set aside for those who tip the staff to do so.

Cash talks and BS walks and nobody is denying that forking over dough will get you what you want. That does not change the fact that in my opinion (and in the opinion of several others that have stayed out of this thread for their own reasons) doing so at a resort like Hedo where the resort management/owners are explicitly asking the customers not to and charging the customers ahead of time for this is wrong.

You can read whatever you want into my statement. I was pretty clear that I feel tipping at Hedo is wrong if you are tipping "so they can have better attention from the staff then other guests". I am not sure how else to put that. If you want to reward the maid with a tip when you leave because she gave you plenty of towels, great, good on you. I would make a point to speak to the management/owners about a employee that went above and beyond rather then tipping, but that is just me. If you are tipping the maid at the beginning of your trip in order to get special service, especially if that special service will infringe on the service that is being provided to others (as in tipping/bribing the maid for extra towels when a towel shortage is endemic at the resort), then I stand by my statement that it is "disappointing".

I don't know that there is a concrete definition of "Hedo spirit" is. I would say that a big piece of it is that everyone that goes to Hedo is treated equally regardless of age/looks/size/wealth/etc by both the other vacationers AND the staff. If someone gets bumped to the back of the line at the bar because they are a dick, cool, sometimes stupid hurts. If someone gets bumped to the back of the line at the bar because they did not "tip" the bar tender, that is not cool and is "disappointing".

It is not just me feeling a certain way. It is other guests, the hotel management team and owners feeling that way. If it is not wrong to do it, then why so much effort into keeping it on the down low? Clearly the Hedo owners and management do not agree with you, otherwise there would be no fear of repercussions and whether a staff member would get fired for accepting a tip.

I have retyped this out several times to be as polite as possible. If you want to respond to my postings with an attitude, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it one on one.
    I still stand behind my statement. You stated that it went against the Hedo spirit to tip. Why is that so. Just because you and some others disagree in tipping doesn't mean that the ones that do don't appreciate Hedo any less. There is also a rule about no open PDA ( sex in the pool and hot tub ) but that rule is broken daily but that ones ok right as it goes with the spirit of Hedo. You cant pick and choose which rules to comply with or can you ?
    Hedo II April 20th- 27th 2011 virgin trip
    Hedo II April 22 - 28 2012 With Hedo Mojo
    Hedo II April 12 - 19 2014

Quote Originally Posted by chazo4 View Post
    What is written down, quite explicitly at http://www.hedonism.com/what-is-hedo...re-you-arrive/, is this: "Tipping is simply not permitted at Hedonism. We cannot emphasize this enough. Your courtesy, respect and a sincere ‘thank you’ are all we ask. However, tipping is customary for all airport baggage personnel, cab drivers, etc."

Yes, I'm sure the maid appreciates the extra money, but do you realize the risk she is taking and the worry that likely ensues? It has been common that staff have been fired for taking tips. So, when you leave her a bit of money, she has to decide if she should take it. I'm sure she could really use the extra money. But, what if that tip is a trap by management to figure out what maids are taking tips and maybe then leaving extra towels or other favors? If she takes that tip, she is taking the risk that she could get fired. No matter what, if she takes that tip, she knows she is breaking the rules.
    I asked for the definition of the Hedo Spirit and your link is not it. Do you people really think that the employees at the resort really make that much money. Have you seen the the homes and the real way these people live. Its a step above poverty level. A lot of the guests bring presents and gifts to give the staff. That is no different than handling them a 5 or 10 dollar bill.
    Hedo II April 20th- 27th 2011 virgin trip
    Hedo II April 22 - 28 2012 With Hedo Mojo
    Hedo II April 12 - 19 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I still stand behind my statement. You stated that it went against the Hedo spirit to tip. Why is that so. Just because you and some others disagree in tipping doesn't mean that the ones that do don't appreciate Hedo any less. There is also a rule about no open PDA ( sex in the pool and hot tub ) but that rule is broken daily but that ones ok right as it goes with the spirit of Hedo. You cant pick and choose which rules to comply with or can you ?
    It does state clearly at the resort web site mentioned above that tipping is not allowed, but I don't see any PDA or even sex remark or rule mentioned in that link or anywhere else on that site.
    Where do you see that no PDA rule on their website?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast