Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping Staff

I've been to Hedo 3x -- booked for the 4th
    We always get a Jacuzzi room -nude side.

Let me say I like to be pampered, and I'll pay the line for it.
    When I get there I give out some cash. -maid, hot tub guy, beach dude.

Let me say when my jacuzzi broke -- it got fixxed. He worked around when we were there.
    I always had a clean chair set up for me outside my room on the beach. Never a worry.
    The maid made sure our room looked good.

A couple bucks to start the week and a soda/ drink/ something during the week. Some dinero's to end the week. They remember you and what you did for them. I don't think I get better service - I just get personalized service.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

Quote Originally Posted by millionsnmilo View Post
    I've been to Hedo 3x -- booked for the 4th
    We always get a Jacuzzi room -nude side.

Let me say I like to be pampered, and I'll pay the line for it.
    When I get there I give out some cash. -maid, hot tub guy, beach dude.

Let me say when my jacuzzi broke -- it got fixxed. He worked around when we were there.
    I always had a clean chair set up for me outside my room on the beach. Never a worry.
    The maid made sure our room looked good.

A couple bucks to start the week and a soda/ drink/ something during the week. Some dinero's to end the week. They remember you and what you did for them. I don't think I get better service - I just get personalized service.
    Do you care if they get fired for taking a tip?

Quote Originally Posted by anitathediva View Post
    I think if they are that concerned about getting fired they will refuse the tip
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anitathediva View Post
    Discretion is rule #1

If I can keep it a secret that I've been to a naked -lifestyle resort (for the last 3 years) from my over the top christian parents , I think sliding one a tip without being detected is an easy thing.

Reread rule #1

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

I guess I am a bit disappointed to see how many guests end up tipping the staff at a resort that charges a premium to cover tips already and who has as one of their central tenants a "no tipping" rule so they can have better attention from the staff then other guests. To each their own, but to me, it seems to go against the spirit of Hedo and is a slippery slope at what is billed as and advertised as a "super-inclusive" resort...
    Previous trips-
    Hedo 2; 26 - 30 Aug 2009
    Hedo 2; 17 - 25 Aug 2013

Upcoming-
    Hedo 2; TBD, but NOT SOON ENOUGH!!!

In my humble opinion, tipping is a way to 'keep serving people in their place.' Australia has gotten rid of tipping. They pay their staff properly and expect staff to serve everyone with equal diligence. Some Ozzy wait staff will be so insulted by a tip that they will throw it back in your face. Most of Europe adds a service charge to a bill and does not expect lavish tips -- small change may be left on the table.

In North America, tipping is often a way to avoid paying personal taxes and sales/service tax.

Reading these postings one gets the impression that a number of guests 'expect' to get improved service by excessive tipping. That is not (in my opinion) conducive to the Hedo atmosphere, where we are all equally hedonistic and equally served.

A gift to (for example) room maids may be appropriate, but not as a bribe for 'top shelf' bar service etc.

The sooner tipping disappears the better. I know some will disagree but that too is OK. I'll thank staff for good service. I'll report exceptional service on satisfaction surveys, but I'll never put a staff member's job in jeopardy by tipping.

PNK

Some very valid points raised in the last 2 posts. We don't generally tip at Hedo. The all-inclusive / no tipping policy at Hedo is one of the big plusses for us. We like not having to think about what somethings costs or how to tip on a vacation. I fully expect to have a clean room and good service in the restaurants and bars for what we pay. I'm more than happy to note the name of any staff member who really impressed us with their attitude or quality of service and give them a positive mention on the satisfaction survey. I believe that provides more longer term benefit than the couple of bucks I could pass them.

I'm somewhat inclined to think that if a person wants to tip at Hedo it's their business and I am sure it's very easy to discreetly pass someone a few bucks as a tip without being noticed. But, for every guest that receives priority service for a tip isn't there another guest receiving poorer service as a result? If a bartender is giving the tippers better service aren't there going to be some disgruntled guests who may complain about that bartender? That seems just as likely to get a staff member fired as being caught accepting tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefbo View Post
    To each their own, but to me, it seems to go against the spirit of Hedo and is a slippery slope at what is billed as and advertised as a "super-inclusive" resort...
    So just because someone decides to leave a small tip to whom ever they are going against the spirit of hedo. Can you show me where this definition of the hedo spirit is written down so I know what to feel more or less of it the next time we go home. Just because you feel a center way doesn't mean its wrong for others to go against it. The only tip I leave is for the maid if she has done an excellent job and has left me plenty of towels during my stay as I ask when we get there.
    Hedo II April 20th- 27th 2011 virgin trip
    Hedo II April 22 - 28 2012 With Hedo Mojo
    Hedo II April 12 - 19 2014

Slow your roll and check your attitude please.

I said my piece in a very non-accusatory and egalitarian manner and stand by it. This is a discussion board. As in discussing things. You have over 1,000 posts on this board, so that should be understood.

Based on the personal messages and the two posts above yours, I am not alone in feeling this way.

The bottom line is it is your vacation, live it like you want, but to go to a resort where one of the core principles is "super-inclusive" and "no tipping allowed" and tip staff in order to get better service for you (which by definition will mean that someone who IS following the resort rules and by the resort's pay scale ALREADY tipped when they paid for their night there will be getting less service while the staff take care of those that have bribed/tipped is disappointing.

A big part of the appeal to a resort like Hedo for me is the fact that I can show up, lock my wallet in my safe immediately after check in and not have to touch it until I am on my way home. I bust my ass for my money and the nickle and dimeing that goes on at more traditional resorts makes the vacation less relaxing for me and less enjoyable. Spending a significant amount of money for a "super-inclusive" resort where no tipping is allowed, then having to wait at the bar for a drink as someone else that chooses to ignore the rules of the resort, shows up to the bar after me and gets served first because they bribed the staff with "tips" makes for a less enjoyable vacation for me.

Look at the threads about issues with people saving chairs with towels. Now take away a few more chairs because they get set aside for those who tip the staff to do so.

Cash talks and BS walks and nobody is denying that forking over dough will get you what you want. That does not change the fact that in my opinion (and in the opinion of several others that have stayed out of this thread for their own reasons) doing so at a resort like Hedo where the resort management/owners are explicitly asking the customers not to and charging the customers ahead of time for this is wrong.

You can read whatever you want into my statement. I was pretty clear that I feel tipping at Hedo is wrong if you are tipping "so they can have better attention from the staff then other guests". I am not sure how else to put that. If you want to reward the maid with a tip when you leave because she gave you plenty of towels, great, good on you. I would make a point to speak to the management/owners about a employee that went above and beyond rather then tipping, but that is just me. If you are tipping the maid at the beginning of your trip in order to get special service, especially if that special service will infringe on the service that is being provided to others (as in tipping/bribing the maid for extra towels when a towel shortage is endemic at the resort), then I stand by my statement that it is "disappointing".

I don't know that there is a concrete definition of "Hedo spirit" is. I would say that a big piece of it is that everyone that goes to Hedo is treated equally regardless of age/looks/size/wealth/etc by both the other vacationers AND the staff. If someone gets bumped to the back of the line at the bar because they are a dick, cool, sometimes stupid hurts. If someone gets bumped to the back of the line at the bar because they did not "tip" the bar tender, that is not cool and is "disappointing".

It is not just me feeling a certain way. It is other guests, the hotel management team and owners feeling that way. If it is not wrong to do it, then why so much effort into keeping it on the down low? Clearly the Hedo owners and management do not agree with you, otherwise there would be no fear of repercussions and whether a staff member would get fired for accepting a tip.

I have retyped this out several times to be as polite as possible. If you want to respond to my postings with an attitude, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss it one on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    So just because someone decides to leave a small tip to whom ever they are going against the spirit of hedo. Can you show me where this definition of the hedo spirit is written down so I know what to feel more or less of it the next time we go home. Just because you feel a center way doesn't mean its wrong for others to go against it. The only tip I leave is for the maid if she has done an excellent job and has left me plenty of towels during my stay as I ask when we get there.
    Previous trips-
    Hedo 2; 26 - 30 Aug 2009
    Hedo 2; 17 - 25 Aug 2013

Upcoming-

Easy everyone

Where I live a tip is a standard thing. Millions even wants me to tip the guy who loads my beer at the drive in beer store. It's just how we are.

Where I grew up (in the poor area of Appalachia ) tipping is not a standard thing.

It makes me feel good to spread the wealth. That's all

The best part of Hedo is the non judgemental attitude. This should apply to tipping also.

Just me $.02.

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015

millionsnmilo: You actually believe that your cultural norms should be forced on everyone else's culture simply because it's the norm where you live?

You do realize that you move to a completely different country for your holiday at Hedo?
    The best part about Hedo to me is that the guests are so respectful to one another.

Not only will you show no respect for the rules aimed at giving everyone a similarly comfortable holiday, but you basically try to get just a little bit more comfort than everyone else at everyone's expense.
    That's not showing much respect for your fellow guests at Hedo.

Just like it's perfectly okay to judge people who walk around dressed on the nude side, judge vinnies, judge those boatloads of gawkers from other resorts taking pictures of us while they are being carted off to whatever destination their boats brings them to, I believe that it's okay to be judgemental at those trying to get a little bit more at the expense of others at the same resort.

So how bout that quarterback competition in Philly?
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

We do want to add that we do understand the desire to tip, both as a reward for better then average service at the end of a trip and at the beginingbeginning of a trip to ensure the best possible service during that trip. A vacation to Hedo is (for us at least) an expensive endeavor In bonot time and money. Spending $20+ up front to ensure the best possible service for you compared to the rest of the cost of the trip makes it a drop in the bucket. While we understand that draw, we disagree with it as it will negatively impact the other guests and is a VERY slippery slope to go down. We make a point to fill out comment cards and speak with management about both the good and the bad at the end of the trip and know that our feedback gets back to the staff members who deserve that attaboy.
    Previous trips-
    Hedo 2; 26 - 30 Aug 2009
    Hedo 2; 17 - 25 Aug 2013

Upcoming-

So how is everyone's weather right now? It is sunny and beautiful here in NS Canada and we are going to the beach today. Can't be nude, but I will be thinking of Hedo as I am laying there listening to the water
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Everyone get naked jump in the cold ass water and relax. Does Philly have a football team? I thought they may had at one time. I only tip the people that don't work in the resort but those that are working outside the resort. It does help those that need it. Your cultural norm is yours not Mine nor anyone elses. People judge people everywhere the idea that people at Hedo don't judge is BS. Just let one person walk to the nude pool with textile's on and listen. If your on vacation enjoy it don't sweat the small things and always I mean ALWAYS carry a Bubba Cup. LESS trips to the bar but more trips into the sand well I'm on a three BC limit. Lessons learned in one trip!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast