Thread: Hedo Vets First Time at Desire...

Hedo Vets First Time at Desire...

After an annual trip to Hedo (both 2 and 3) for the last 6 years we finally decided the long standing excuses about the condition of the resort were wearing a bit thin... Time to see what else is out there!

Very glad we did!

Our decision to try DLC this year was a tough one because we knew we would not see many familiar faces and would miss out on new friends at Hedo. If nothing else, we KNOW Hedo has great people, and we were not sure about Desire. As it turns out, this was a completely unfounded concern, as we met great people right off the bat. We have often read that the Desire crowd is "cliquey", but we did not find that to be true at all. We try to meet everyone and my wife is a major social butterfly, so perhaps we simply were oblivious to this aspect. A cute little blonde with a nice rack tends to break through most social barriers.

Anyway, the following is going to read a little bit like a comparison to Hedo, but that's inevitable as that has been our only experience so far. Bear with me.

The late morning, Wednesday flight from LAX was a piece of cake at 2 hours compared to the 6 1/2 hour journey to Jamaica. Despite the warnings to the contrary, we still got caught up in the "timeshare gauntlet" (twice!) trying to get out of the airport. We have it figured out now, so lesson learned. We booked through Denny P (as usual) and he arraigned for the ground transportation. The trip to the resort was a quick 15 minute ride in a small van with a few other couples. Desire was the first stop, and we were the only ones off the bus. Check in was quick as the lobby was deserted, and we hardly had time to finish the offered glass of champaign before being led to the room. On the trip to the room we were struck by the overall great condition of the resort compared to Hedo, and that was reinforced upon entry into the room. Clean, neat and everything worked. None of the peeling battleship grey paint and moldy, chipped tiles as in Jamaica. Things were looking good so far. Unpacking takes WAY too long when the pool is calling, but we finally got our asses out to the pool by about 3:00 PM. This was our first potential let down, as the pool area was pretty dead. There were perhaps 20 people there (front desk indicated 32% occupancy when we checked in). The up side is that we were able to find two of the few (compared to Hedo) loungers. In seconds we were naked and baking in the bright sunshine under a cloudless, blue sky. Some time ago, we were a bit uncomfortable being naked in a clothing optional area - we preferred "forced" nudity. We have overcome that however, so the few people wearing suits caused us zero discomfort. We found the pool area to be a bit larger and better kept than the Hedo version, and the bar was plenty accessible. Before long we were in the water, drinking and socializing. We quickly found the loud, party group and within a few hours had the entire pool grouped into one big party cluster. Turns out Desire people are as easy to talk to as Hedo people. In the early evening, the pool bar closes and essentially forces you upstairs to the rooftop hot tub overlooking the beach. This place is WAY neater than the hot tub at Hedo! ...and it's not just the fact that there is a swim up bar either. The new pebble finish in the tub is sharp however, so if you're a clutz like my wife you are likely to loose some skin. We were prepared for the many beds around the upper deck, but the nice showers and handy (and clean, unlike Hedo) bathrooms were a plus. There was a lot of accent lighting and fire pits around the pool and hot tub, but we only saw the hot tub fire lit one night out of the 8 we were there. One downside was the wide variation in temps of the tub. It was hot during the day, and cooled all night. It got cool enough to drive us out to the room sometimes.

To be continued....
    Mikey and Diane

...so after the hot tub it's time for dinner and unlike Hedo you really only have one choice per night as dinner rotates through the various restaurants on the property. Also unlike Hedo, there is no central gathering place to watch the parade of ladies in their slutwear. Definate advantage to Hedo in this aspect. At DLC, you just kind of show up for dinner and eat. Plenty of slutwear, mind you - just no "parade". On the subject of dinner, we found it on par with Hedo - edible, but nothing to get too excited about. Following dinner people make their way down to the central bar for the various evening activities which varied from essentially nothing but people mingling to an all out show featuring fire eaters and acrobats. Was enjoyable but not up to the energy level that the Hedo crew puts out. Not sure if this is good or bad, as I often found the Hedo shows just too loud when all I wanted to do was mingle. Anyway, it is what it is. Following this activity is the disco, where Hedo would be the piano bar. This is fine with me as we HATE the piano bar at Hedo! (I know, we're the only ones). Anyway, the disco is OK, and considering the occupancy rate at the hotel, well attended. The main thing is getting back to the hot tub, however, as this seems to be the main attraction of the evening. This is well attended, and seems to pull a higher percentage of the guests than does Hedo. The hot tub activities at DLC are the same as Hedo- just a much nicer environment to do them with many beds and couches around. Also, DLC seems to actually try create ambiance with the lighting and music, much in contrast to Hedo with the bright fluorescent lighting ( usually blocked by guests with pool floats - catch a clue, Hedo!).

So that was the daily routine for our 8 nights there -Groundhog day!

Overall, our mid May weather could hardly have been better, with bright sun most days and very comfortable evenings. Quite the contrast with the many days of rain we had in years past in Jamaica.

The EC's Angie, April, and Tony were hard working and a great deal of fun. Big bonus - The girls would go topless when in the pool, unlike Hedo where that's just not going to happen.

The service in is significantly better at DLC unlike Hedo where it seems if you called the front desk to complain your room was on fire, they MIGHT get to you that day... Sometime... If you're lucky.

DLC is cleaner and in better condition than Hedo. Everything works, and the building does not appear to be constructed entirely of painted over mold and fungus as Hedo appears to be.

In summary, we LOVE Hedo and have very high hopes the new ownership will turn it around. But I have to say, it is going to take a bit more than a fresh coat of paint and new TVs in the rooms to get us back to Hedo. Hedo is a blast, but DLC is that AND luxury...

Next spring is going to be a tough decision!
    Last edited by Desert Dwellers; 06-05-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Mikey and Diane

As for the service, I will tell you, I called the front desk about no hot water and someone was there within 10 mins!!! I heard of several other guests calling the front desk about something and they had somewhere there almost immediately too. So that has def changed!
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

Thanks for the full report!!

I agree, I would love to believe Hedo will be brought up to standard. But we shall see.
    A few weeks of better food, (an upgrade to what should be) standard service, and some minor replacements is not enough to convince me.

Desires sounds awesome!! Glad you and Diane had a good time

Thanks for the great report....we had seriously considered Desire Pearl for our 10th anniversary in May...but returned to Hedo because it IS where we were married and well, because we love it, warts and all. I had / have no doubts that Desire is heads above Hedo in luxury and will continue to be. I am thrilled that the new owner are putting money into the resort and we had some nice chats with Harry and other staff and managers....but for me I just cannot envision how they could ever bring Hedo up to a level of Desire without taking down the room buildings and starting from scratch and I don't see that happening. All the new little changes are wonderful and the maintenance issues they need to get things back to a reliable level are great. But as was said, flat screen TVs and paint are not going to make the resort into one that can compare in any way with Desire. I will second that the front desk (especially Lorna Brammer) are VERY responsive now to guest complaints...a huge plus. Lorna walks the beach checking in with guests to see how things are going for you...this is great and much needed.

So glad you had such a wonderful trip!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Liz
    Liz & Chris

Well, sounds like you went to Desire Cabo in the nick of time...apparently it has been sold and will no longer be a Desire resort.
    Liz & Chris

I read that today, too!
    Hope it is jsut an ownership change and nothing else....

Quote Originally Posted by chrisandlizvt View Post
    Well, sounds like you went to Desire Cabo in the nick of time...apparently it has been sold and will no longer be a Desire resort.

Quote Originally Posted by phillygirl22 View Post
    I read that today, too!
    Hope it is just an ownership change and nothing else....
    Other sites are reporting it as a total Desire shut down - new owners, new name, new family-friendly theme.
    H2 - 12, 14, 24?
    Pearl - 13, 17, 18, 22, 24?
    20 & 21 - Stupid f**king Covid...

Yep, that figures...

...back to 5+ hour airline flights again.

...aren't there enough "family friendly" resorts in the world?
    Mikey and Diane

Seriously! oh well
    Lucky hedo, default choice again!

Right, maybe if all the other resorts shut down, Hedo can break 60% occupancy!
    Mikey and Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
    Right, maybe if all the other resorts shut down, Hedo can break 60% occupancy!
    you haven't been there with a group takeover. Many times throughout the year the place is at capacity.
    H2 - 12, 14, 24?
    Pearl - 13, 17, 18, 22, 24?
    20 & 21 - Stupid f**king Covid...