View Poll Results: Does anyone think HBR is overpriced?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not over priced

1 50.00%
  • Reasonable value for your vacation $

2 100.00%
  • Exotic Travel Club is worthwhile

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Hidden Beach Resort - Consider the value

Question Hidden Beach Resort - Consider the value

I am dismayed that so many people are enamored by HBR. That’s not to say that the resort is not enjoyable, but I’s difficult to call it 5 Star when it doesn’t even have a real beach. There is a small, unheated pool, often lounge chairs around the pool aren’t available and rooms that are pretty small. Most anoying is the unrelenting push to join the Exotic “very pricey” Travel Club. At $500-$600/night (%30 less if you pay $10,000 to join Exotic)not to quible but there is a history of yearly price increases. We should consumers should expect a better value. Yes the staff is great, being nude is liberating but there are other resorts that are better values for your vacation dollars.

Strange, when the wife and I were there never heard one word about the "Travel club". I thought the beach was beautiful, the swimming in the ocean not so much. The pool is big enough to get a good game of vollyball going. I mean threre are 40 rooms, how big do you want the pool to be? I thought it was great to dip in the pool to cool off and we went in March. Anyway there was a huge hottub if you needed to warm up. Granted the rooms aren't suits, but they are larger than your average hotel room. They were clean and modern with a very comfortable bed. The place is spotless inside and out. The staff, wonderful doesn't begin to describe them. Would I like it to be cheaper, yes. But with 40 rooms, it is understandable. Better value, I'm sure there are places where you can lay on the beach nude and enjoy for much less. Would you ge excellent food, amaizing surroundings, incredible staff, and top shelf liquors?

Thanks for adding another perspective. You described HBR is accurate, but we probably have different expectations. Only in front of the Moonlight Lounge could you reasonably put a chair on the beach. The water (what we love most about the Caribbean) is un-swimmable at only about a foot deep with a coral bottom.

With 42 rooms the pool is probably properly sized for the number of guests. The intimate size of HB, and the staff are the feature we love most. Always spotless and very friendly. We enjoy the volley ball games, however; they effectively exclude others from the pool unless one wants to belly up to the bar. Pool heaters that have never functioned. With the added surface of the rivers they are just energy wasters. Sauna, steam rooms require a trip to the Spa (not even sure if they are still there), more easly accessible from SeaSide

HB enjoys lots of returning guests, most are Exotic members so the business model is meeting the needs of lots of people. I totally respect your opinion it’s just that the vacations amenities that we enjoy most, are a compromise, especially for the price.

I didn't realize the beach had disappeared. We were there a while a go and there must have been 100' of beach. Yea the swimming in the ocean there sucks. I was told that next door it was much better. Too lazy to put on clothes to find out.

We were there to relax, and the slower pace there was perfect for that. We were there right after a bad, really bad vacation experience. It may not live up to our memory but to us it was perfect. I know there is no perfect place, but you must admitt the staff and service are second to none. The other guest there were fantastic as well. We were there for a day and it seemed as if we were there with old friends.

I can see where it might not meet the needs of everyone. There is no nightlife, and due to the smaller size the activities are sparse. If you wanted more selection you have to put on clothes and go next door. We just completely enjoyed the staff. They met you once, knew your name and what you wanted, were friendly, and didn't act put upon when you asked for something.

I just got back from HBR and have been a member of Exotic Travel since 2007. We've been going to El Dorado Maroma and El Dorado Casitas Royal since then and decided to try a clothing optional resort for the first time.

We loved it! We'll go back next year for a longer time. Buniff, you were pretty accurate about your description. Backstop, the pools will be heated starting the end of January. There is a very active HBR group on Facebook and that's been a common comment. I was told while we were at the resort by management that it's not just a rumor...they will be heated.

How did you find El Dorado Maroma and El Dorado Casitas Royal? Been looking because we have friends who want to vacation with us but not into the clothing optional. But can't wait to get back to Hidden Beach.

Buniff,

We love both but Maroma is our #1. I had been to Casitas 4 times when we decided to try Maroma. My initial concern with Maroma was there wouldn't be enough variety of dining options. That is not the case at all. We ate at a different restaurant every night for a week. Some were in the same facility, but a different theme night.

Maroma is small and more intimate. It's quiet and very laid back. Good entertainment but more like HBR. The beach is to die for. The water is incredible and you can walk out quite a bit on nothing but soft white sand. You can walk for about 45 minutes north along the beach before encountering another resort. The staff is awesome, much like HBR. Maroma Marina is right next door for daytime activities.

Casitas is quite a bit larger and the resort as a whole is huge. Restaurants are awesome, but waiting can be a problem unless you have reservations. Reservations are based on level of membership. It's quiet at night too at the Casitas end, but there is entertainment on a grander scale and nightlife partying on the Royale side. There tends to be a blue towel vs brown towel attitude sometimes. El Dorado Royale is the more hotel type rooms and less costly. They get blue towels and aren't supposed to be using certain areas of the Casitas side. Stupid, but it exists.

At both EDM and ECR, there are private outdoor showers in every suite. The patios/decks have full size beds. Some 2nd levels have infinity pools. They are very costly and not important to me, but some love them.

I think the decision should be based on how much activity is wanted. Small (110 units) quiet, intimate, incredible beach, not much to do at night, then Maroma. Bigger resort, more nightlife, more of a party type atmosphere, ok beach (more like HBR), then EDCR.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask more specific questions...I'll be glad to help.

Thanks for the info. When I was reading the reviews someome complained that the marina was a major problem at Maroma. Was loud, and a great deal of non hotel traffic.

We aren't big fans of the larger hotels. More of HBR type. Smaller boutique types, not really into nightlife and line waiting. It sound as if Maroma is worth a try.

I've been there 3 years in a row and the marina is absolutely never noisey. I like looking at the boats too. Occasionally there will be a boat out in the ocean with parasailing, or people kyaking but again, I enjoy watching that. We even get massages outside on the beach which is almost on the marina property and I've never been bothered by marina noise, unless you call waves, breezes and birds marina noise!

I really disagree with that. However, that being said, I've not been down there during spring break week or in the winter. We always go in November. But others on the FB page don't complain either.

Thanks for the info. I've got my fingers crossed and am trying to book HBR for the end of Jan. This will be the 4th time in the past year we have tried to go. Sadly we both own our own companies, and despite a desperate need for some nude time, it is hard to make the time. We will keep Maroma in mind in case we have to keep our clothes on.