Thread: Getting the best rate?

Question Getting the best rate?

Hi! We'd like to go sometime next year, it looks like the best rates are in August sometime. Is that true? Also, will we get a better rate going with a travel agent or group? If so, how can we find one?

And... if there are any divers around... does the dive boat leave you at the dive site or do they wait for you?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny!
    ... does the dive boat leave you at the dive site or do they wait for you?
    I am not sure what they do at Hedo, but I have never heard of a dive boat leaving divers in the water and coming back later. As a Navy diver, I can confidently say that is the most dangerous thing I have ever heard of. If that is the case, I am definitely not going diving. Has this happened to you before? Maybe I am missing something......

Sadly, yes

at a resort in hawaii. The resort had two dive areas, they left us and went back to get more people to bring out. They then left us all and went to area two to pick up the people there.

It was the scariest dive trip of my life.

OMG! I wonder what the liability is if someone got bent or even worse got an embolism. People like to pay high insuranse rates I guess.

Best Rates

From our experience, the best rates are usually associated with two things. One, the time of year as the "shoulders" of the seasons offer great rates. That's usually in the late Spring or very early Fall and not around holidays. The second is to pick a group you like and go with them. Groups are scheduled throughout the year and many have negotiated rates that beat what you can find online or through discounters. Our group goes in September, the first weekend after Labor Day, and we always find great rates and great airline fares as well because it not a major travel time.