Thread: tipping ?

tipping ?

we booked our hbr trip for july 8 till the 14th. having gone to couples and hedo 3 this will be our first time going to mexico. the jamaican resorts frowned on cash tips and prefered material gifts. chocolate, school supplies and small gifts like that. at hbr did you cash tip or leave small gifts for the workers. what did everybody else do and what is was the amounts if you did cash tips. thanks

We left money on the bathroom counter for the cleaning staff. They did an excellent job, never saw them but always spotlessly clean. Tried to tip our waiter Jesus as we were leaving. He refused saying if they were caught taking tips they would be fired. I asked for one last beer and left the tip under the beer. Your service will be wonderful no matter what you do. Most of the staff has been there for years and when you go back, and you will, they will treat you as a long lost friend.

At the end of the trip, we quietly and discreetly handed out about half a dozen $20's to those folks who've been especially helpful, and also the maid (who we never saw) we left a $20. Also, $5-10's for some of the folks who did a little less for you. Most of the folks were appreciative. I figure you have to know they don't make much and the $200 or so in tips won't be missed by us. I wonder if we should have left more? Was I being cheap only giving $20's?

Quote Originally Posted by ijbr View Post
    At the end of the trip, we quietly and discreetly handed out about half a dozen $20's to those folks who've been especially helpful, and also the maid (who we never saw) we left a $20. Also, $5-10's for some of the folks who did a little less for you. Most of the folks were appreciative. I figure you have to know they don't make much and the $200 or so in tips won't be missed by us. I wonder if we should have left more? Was I being cheap only giving $20's?
    I think $20 are more then most give.
    Last edited by mac_r_a; 02-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    LUSH - Ladies Untamed Sexy Hedonistic - April 16-23, 2022

Click here to book your April trip!!!

We have been there many times and most of the staff are old friends, so we tend to give each of those who serve us well $20. However, tipping IS NOT required, except perhaps for the van driver on the way down and back who are not HBR employees.

We also discreetly find a way to hand out 20's to most of the wait staff and bartender
    It's only kinky the first time

This is a slippery slope .....

Spread the wealth and they will help you out. Just be discreet.
    One day the maid folded ALL my clothes ...nice!

H2 Feb 17-21 2011
    March 30-Apr 6 2012
    March 22-30 2013
    April 11-19 2014

Return 3/27-4/4 2015