Thread: HBR first timers - questions, questions, questions

HBR first timers - questions, questions, questions

Hi folks,
    We're a married couple and we've never been to HBR (or any other clothing optional resort). Read some reviews and decided this might be something really different and a trip to remember. So.... here are our questions:

1. Nude dining - We've never done that before and while we might be OK to go nude on a beach or around a pool, but a nude dinner is something we have a tough time imagining... So - does everyone HAS to be nude for a dinner?

2. Nude disco - OK, this might be fun, but we usually dance kinda "dirty" (with each other), so we are not sure how this is going to work and whether this will be appropriate... And if there is an erection - then what? From the reviews we understand this is a nude resort, not a swingers type of place (and we are not swingers, so thats the reason picking HBR over other places) where everything goes, so not sure.... I guess we'll see once we get there... Any experience anyone?

3. The resor website says no photography whatsoever, so does that mean we will come back without pictures of our vacation??? We always make a ton of pics - we carry underwater cameras and even professional photo gear to our trips, so would like to hear how actually strict the policy is? We have no interest in taking other people's photos (sometimes people ask us to take their pics when they see our gear - and we do that no problem as people are always happy to get professional shots of their vacation and for free). So does that mean we can not take pics of each other composing the shots so that other people are out of the frame? We realise we will not even try to do this in a busy area (even fully clothed people freak out when they see a large camera and a big lens), but maybe thinking to take the cam to the beach early in the morning or something like that? We do plan to use the resort next door for professional shots, but also wanted to have something of the resort we are planning to stay in... Any experience, ideas? We saw a couple of images posted in the gallery - how were these taken? Did you get into any trouble?

4. We understand we can go to the resort next door - how long is the walk? Just thinking if we go there to take sunset pics in the evening - will it be safe to return to HBR late in the evening/night?

5. Is dining next door included into our HBR trip price? Is dining good there?

6. Where everyone is shopping for deals for HBR? We've been to some common trip planning websites and the price is kinda high (around 6K for the two of us - we are currently in Canada).

Any input will be much appreciated! We will post more questions once we think of something else. Many thanks!!!!

DT

Alot of people get dressed for dinner or wear one of the three robes they provide in the rooms. You will not have any prolbems with the disco. Photos are ok as long as you arenot taken pictures of the guests. The el dorado is very close 50 feet from front of Hbr. The five resturants at El dorado are very good and included in your package. We liked the asian the best. Don't know the best place to find a deal, however if you are willing to listen to thier one and half hour vacation club presentation you can get 50% price on the friends in pardise program. The help is wonderful Esp. Jesus, Aciento. You will have a great time

I think you will enjoy yourselves. We liked the resort but it can be a bit chilly this time of year. Very few folks were nude for dinner, maybe 2-4 people. As stated many simply wear the robes but others wear sexier gear.

We thought food was good and only got an occasional pizza for lunch from next door.

Most people initially wore clothes in the disco as well when we were there but tended to disrobe as the night progressed.

We have the same questions now as you had back in 2012. I was wondering if you minded giving us your thoughts on your questions considering you have taken the vacation by now

The answers are still the same. We were there in Nov. and the great thing about HBR is you can do what you are comfortable with as far as clothing and dining. Disco depending on the crowd, is pretty tame most of the time. Next door well they share the same driveway really 50 feet. You can use El Dorado as if you are staying there. HBR only has 1 resturant, where next door there are now many options. Safety not an issue extremely well lit and employees always on the watch. Both resorts are far from the main Hwy. so there are no issues. Photos, well I've gone out in the morning before everyone else to take pictures and nobody has said anything. While we were there there were several people taking pictures with their ipads when the staff wasn't around. Made me a little uncomfortable. I don't want pictures of me nude on the web and I don't anyone else does either. Go relax, and don't worry, you'll have a great time. Any questions pm me and I'll try to answer them.

Most folks put on at least a robe for dinner, but depending on the crowd there will be folks eating dinner nude too. If you go in the winter months it gets a little chilly at night so most folks have clothes on mostly due to the temperature. We have been there in January and February, and most folks (included us) wore clothes to dinner. We have also been there in March and in October. and half the crowd was naked at dinner. No worries.

The disco is again dependent on the crowd. After drinking all day in the sun most folks turn in early, but occasionally there is a night crowd there and the disco gets rowdy. But that is the exception. Theme nights are usually sparsely attended but if you want to attend naked, that is ok too.

We take lots of photos too, and have never had a problem, as long as you make it obvious no one is inappropriately being captured in the background. There are places at the resort where you can go and take your private pictures with no interference.

The attached resort next door El Dorado is very close. It's no problem at all to visit there for dinner. We have found the more times we visit HBR the less we frequent El Dorado....it's just so much easier to eat at HBR naked....hahaha

The food at HBR is more "westernized" than what you will find in Jamaica. So it really depends on what you're looking for. For us, we like the food in Mexico better because it's more what we're used to in the States.

Post Photography I am ok with that

The absolute "no photography" rule really bugs me. Realistically, with small cameras and camera phones anyone who wants to take a unsolicited photo probably could. I am all for NO PICTURES of anyone without their permission, even people in the far off background. We do take pictures using a single lens reflex camera and never attempt to hide it. Early morning pictures of the resort, evening sunsets and occasionally pictures of friends. The HB staff has even taken some of these pictures for us. Recently at a candle light dinner on a upper deck palapa with a full moon in the background and a flash. Our waiter was kind enough to take a few for us. The typical HB guest is a considerate, trustworthy adult beyond management parenting. If someone should attempt unsolicited pictures he/she doesn't belong - toss them off the property. Above board use of cameras shouldn't be a big deal.
    Last edited by backstop; 03-27-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: needed title