Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time questions

Talking First time questions

My husband and I are heading to Hedo for the first time in February and have a few questions. Firstly, has anyone had any problems with sea urchins on the beach. Someone told us that in Jamaica you have to wear thick soled running shoes on the beach and in the water because of the spines of sea urchins. Fact or fiction?

Secondly, since we have no intention of wearing clothes, where do you put your room key? We were looking at lanyards, wrist or neck, but don't know what kind to get. Do we need a little pouch to put the key in or is it a regular key rather than card? If card, can we get a hole punched in it?

We know these are probably silly questions but since it's our first time we want to be prepared.

Thanks.

First timers here, too, so I have no nuggets of wisdom. However, I was told that they're cards and YES you can have them punch a hole in it for a lanyard. I'm not a big ocean fan, so I plan to stick by the pool.

We'll be there Feb 4-11. Will we see you?
    Angie
    H2 27APR-5MAY 2013
    H2 4FEB-11FEB 2012

we wlil be there February 9 to 18 so looks like we'll overlap for a few days

Sweet! See you then
    Angie
    H2 27APR-5MAY 2013
    H2 4FEB-11FEB 2012

Sea urchins are there so just get some light aqua shoes with rubber soles, We go barefoot with no problem just watch where you step and don't walk in the eel grass so you can see. No Prob. We have our room keycards in lanyards from Office Depot that have a holder the size of credit cards which work great but usually leave them in our beachbag. The beachbag is made by KYSS which has a chain with a combination lock built into a pouch so that it can be secured to the beach chair. Bring Bubba Mugs for water to keep hydrated, SPF and Flavored lipbalm with SPF (tastes better than suntan lotion so you guys can figure where to us it).
    Have fun it is the best place on earth with the best people.
    Just a bunch of fucking idiots

Hedo Amigos/Wild Women Vacations October 5-11

Cat, Where something on your feet in the ocean. I stepped on a sea urchin once, and will never do it again. The keys are plastic key cards and they will punch a hole in it at the front desk if you ask them. Looking after the keys is not a problem. I usually throw mine on my lawn chair.

We've brought our water shoes 4 trips now and have never worn them, this year there staying home.We have never seen urchin within the markers or along the beach so if you walk close to shore and watch were your walking you should be fine.We do however see them out in the deeper waters when were snorkeling.We always bring a lanyard to help keep track of our room card and yes they will punch a hole in it if you ask.As Beachfun 2 said Bubba Kegs are a must.Cycle your drinks with a keg of ice water if you want to last the day.
    No pants are the best pants
    Next trip
    2017 sometime

Since this is your first trip, check out the ideas, tips and suggestions you'll find at www.jwst.com. You'll find the information to be very helpful.

PS: We always supply imprinted lanyards and personalized name badges (among other things) to all of our members on arrival.

We have also seen the urchins, but also have not had any problems with them. The water near the beach is pretty shallow and you just need to watch your step. We don't bring or wear water shoes. When we are in the ocean, we are usually walking out to a couple feet of water, then hopping on to a floaty. As far as the room key, we bring a little beach bag that holds the sun screen and other items that also holds the room key. We wish we knew about the Bubba kegs for our first trip.

Keys are plastic 'credit cards'. On arrival your card might be pre-punched -- or not. The front desk will be too busy to punch it and might say they have no punch. get a Dollar Store single paper punch and do your own (and everyone else who wants a punched hole). There are two types of lanyards: the round the neck as used by coaches with a whistle, and the spiral plastic wrist type. Both are available at the Dollar Store. Problem solved.
    Feet: water shoes are the answer. You can easily leave cheap ones behind -- or get good ones and reuse next trip. Sure beats stubbed toes and spines in the foot, also makes walking to the room easier if the path gets hot with the sun.
    Most everyone has a small beach bag with glasses, sunscreen, book, etc. But don't leave anything valuable wher you might forget it after too many beverages. I'd neve leave my key lying around (except round my neck -- see above).

Enjoy

PNK

The cards do not like long exposures to water and sun-screen so we stopped using laynards a few trips ago. Nothing worse than getting to your room and wanting to sleep/shower/fuck and not having your key work!!! I have been carrying a small drawstring backpack (The Amigos handed these out last year) and keep my keys, sun tan oil, smokes....whatever in there.

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Yes, I will say get the shoes. The urchins were very bad earlier this month. I stepped on one and ended up with 9 spines in my foot and spending $270 bucks at the dr to get them taken out. I will be wearing shoes on the next trip!!!

The urchins are a problem different times of the year and also depends on the wind direction. In 23 trips I have only stepped on one once. The secret is to walk into the water where it is easy to see that the bottom is clear of them. Then get on your raft. I am usually on my raft in less than 2 foot of water. I would never get off my raft when out by the rope and try to stand on the bottom. You are asking for problems.
    First trip to Hedo II.....1986
    First couple tossed out of the Grand Lideo..opening week

sea urchins; with standard water shoes on I ended up having the nurse take three small spines off the side of my foot one trip this year. Next two trips I put on my diving boots with thick bottoms and sides, problem solved so far. The water is very clear and they are easy to spot so just look and do not kick them out of the way like I did.
    We too have ended up with our "key cards" punched and then in the small bags we carry the sun lotion and stuff in.

I'm thinking I might just keep my ass in the pool. I don't know what a sea urchin looks like but I'm pretty sure I don't want to find out by having it shoot things into my feet. Geez
    Angie
    H2 27APR-5MAY 2013
    H2 4FEB-11FEB 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast