Thread: Side Trips

Side Trips

We are headed to Hedo III for the third time on Sept. 19. Previous years we had only taken a side trip to go shopping in Och Rios. We are considering some other side trips this time and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Also, do they still offer day trips to Hedo II to check out the resort there?
    Thanks
    Kim and Dave

xxx
    Last edited by BandL; 06-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.

You have the dolphin pool there , You have the falls, the market, and up the hill you have the gardens..You have alot to do in that area.....EDSPOOL

Either ATV driving or Horse Back riding.. THOSE ARE THE BEST!!!!

Side Trips

We have done the Ocho Rios trip once, it was ok- the straw market was a little scary- they are very good at getting you seperated from the people you are with- and it was pretty dingy back in there.

We have done the Margaritaville Trip once- that was cool- expensive touristy food but I am something of a parrothead so it was worth it.

BY FAR THE BEST EXCURSION we have done is the canopy tour through chukka cove. Some nice long zip lines through the rainforest with a couple rappels mixed in. Knowledgable guides, first rate equipment, and beautiful scenery- I think it was $65 pp- worth 1.5 times that- we will be returning to do it again this year.

We have heard the Dunn's River excursions are very touristy- but we have also always been told "you gotta go at least once"- so on our 4th trip we will.
    Nick (and the darling Kerry)

Last time I went on the Canopy trip. You ride on rip lines through the rain forest. It was awesome. If you are deathly afraid of heights though this is not for you. There was about 10 of us who went and everyone had a great time. It was raining but that was no problem. Actually cooled things down. This is actually out of the same company that does the ATV rides and horseback riding. We saw everyone on the ATVs come back covered in mud from their trip. Everyone seemed like they had fun though.

I would also not recommend this if you have lower back problems. That is right were that harness sits. Jim decided not to come because of this and it was a good thing.

Kristy
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

We did a booze cruise to Dunns River Falls a couple of years back. The falls is something that you've got to do at least once, as someone has already said. The one we went on was through Apple Vacations and actually was combined with a shopping tour in Ochos Rios. Last year we only left the resort once to go to get a burger at Margaritaville in Ocean Island shopping center. We've always wanted to do the nude booze cruise, but even though we've been 6 times, each time there was some reason or another they either didn't have one or we couldn't go. Hopefully this year will be the exception.

all I know is that I am doing a side trip into town for cigars. The bus didn't stop in May and I got stuck buying way to over priced cigars at the resort. I am buying some boxes in town and relaxing with them.
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

When buying cigars in Jamaica, beware of what you are buying. If you are wanting Cuban cigars, you are better off buying online beforehand and bringing your own. As someone who has collected cigars for almost ten years, I can assure you that 99.9% of what is being sold in the tourist areas in Jamaica are in fact Mexican or Jamaican tobacco, with either real Cuban boxes being re-filled, or counterfeit bands and boxes being applied.

There's a liquor/coffee store in the Island Village shopping center that has some pretty decent fresh rolled Jamaican cigars though.

+3 on the Canopy Tour. Of all the things we've done in 10 years of visiting Jamaica, it's the best. Done it a few times and it never gets old. We might do it again in November.

We did the Dunns river falls. As said, it is very touristy, but very fun. You hike up the steep falls breaking every few minutes to swim in the deeper ledges of the falls. Very fun

Post removed.
    Last edited by RembrandtX; 06-05-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandkristy View Post
    all I know is that I am doing a side trip into town for cigars. The bus didn't stop in May and I got stuck buying way to over priced cigars at the resort. I am buying some boxes in town and relaxing with them.
    Have the other half stake out a spot in the immigration line, while you go to duty free and buy cigars. You can bring 50 into the country without a duty. I like cigars and found that some of the better Jamaican or Dominican Republic ones are quite good.
    Dave and Carolyn Jamaica Gemini's
    Because everyone has a naughty twin that comes out to play at Hedo!
    Oct 30th - Nov 7th 2009. Kink Week and Wild Women's Week.