Thread: Hurricanes in Jamaica

Hurricanes in Jamaica

We rode out Hurricane Ivan at Hedo III in '04. It was one of our best trips ever. We had just been through two hurricanes in Florida, saw Ivan coming and went down early before they shut off the airline flights. I think there were about 75 of us there plus some of the staff managers and E/C's who managment brought in to look after the place (and us). We had a blast. They even boarded up Pastafari as a "safe" room, took out many of the tables and put mattresses in there. We were all (staff included) ordered into the room by 8:00 PM to ride out the storm and wound up having one of the largest "slumber" parties any of us had ever seen. Power al over the island went down but the resort has a huge generator(s) that supplied full power until the electricitiy came on several days later. We don't recommend it, but there were lots of our friends there with us and it was an experience we won't forget. The resort only took minor damage because the storm track shifted and it skirted the South coast with the mountains blocking the full force of the storm.

Blog Entries
    Back before we discovered Hedo! We sat in Margaritaville Ocho rios as Hurricane Charlie passed over!! Was just the two of us and staff!!
    And for those wondering yes we ordered Hurricane's!!!
    Next Trip July 25th 2015 - August 1st 2015!
    Hedo II July 26th 2014 - August 8th 2014 The Happy Bastards Returned!
    Hedo II July 30th - August 13th 2011 The Happy Bastards Returned!
    Hedo II August 2010 The Happy Bastards Returned!
    Hedo II August 2009 The Happy Bastards 1st Reunion!
    February 2009 "The Happy Bastards" was formed!
    Hedo II August 2008 Virgin Trip
    FaceBook: "Bigdog1960"
    Happy Bastards!
    Grinnin and Barin It since 2009!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Bill View Post
    We rode out Hurricane Ivan at Hedo III in '04.
    You might remember Bill we were booked with you all that year and had to cancel around June as we found out that Jen was pregnant with our second kid. I stayed up all night watching Ivan on the computer (as we did not have the ridiculous 24/7 hype news that we have today) and was sure that Ivan was going to totally destroy the island and we were so worried about you all. It was headed for a direct hit as a Cat-4 with 155 mph winds, at the last possible minute shifted to the west and went around JA...I can remember cheering at my desk and being pretty drunk at the time!!! I was grabbing screen shots that night of the radar which I still have...they are quite dramatic and I will post here.

ivan091004-1945z.jpg
    GOES03452004255uaLJ3Q.jpg
    GOES11152004255XlCUCi.jpg
    GOES14152004255eZgLe6.jpg

Hope you have no spinners and a great trip in a couple of weeks!!!

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Here is the track that Ivan took....notice the abrupt shift to the West right before landfall....do know or care if it was Jah or the Blue Mountains that pushed Ivan to the left...just glad it happened because a direct hit would have been devastating!!

ivan.JPG

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Thanks Jeff. Glad I didn't see those pictures while we were there. We would have been a lot more frightened than we were. As it was, 12 hours after the storm passed, they had everything cleaned up, the blenders were running, the booze was flowing and Hedo III was back in full operation. All communications were down, but one guy had a satellite phone and we got a message out to one of our member couples in Orlando (Kathy and Gary) and they got the word out to the whole JWST that all was well. Two days later, the whole group had made it in and we had a terrific week. Hedo II, by the way, took serious damage so they packed up all the guests from there and brought them over to Hedo III to join the fun. SuperClubs Hurricane guarantee kicked in as well. We each got 3 free nights to be used the next year and in addiiton, they gave us our money back for the three days of the storm. Now THAT..............is excellent customer relations.

We landed at Mo Bay last fall for Tropical storm Nicole. Road to Negril washed out took an extra day to get
    to Hedo, rain most of the week, supplies ran low............what a GREAT TRIP!!!!! Proof you can make fun
    at Hedo no matter whats happening!

Quote Originally Posted by scott-n-bobbi View Post
    ..what a GREAT TRIP!!!!! Proof you can make fun
    at Hedo no matter whats happening!
    We agree and felt the same way with Ivan. that's the "Hedo Attitude" taking over.

We'll be there next week (09/09 - 09/16)
    It's kind of hilarious in an endearing sort of way when so many of our friends and family members exclaim "oh my god! aren't you afraid of hurricane Katia???!!!!"

Um, no, we're not "afraid" at all! Our only concerns are in regards to transportation. As long as the flights aren't cancelled, and the roads are clear, we're going to have a fantastic vacation regardless of the weather!

We were at Hedo3 in 2008 when Gustav skirted the island, luckily Jamaica didn't take a direct hit. The only negative thing was the fact that we had five solid days of rain, rain, and nothing but rain. But being "hedo - folk" - everyone still managed to maintain the party atmosphere and have a wonderful time! We even managed to get three days worth of sunshine vouchers (for the five days of no sun, you all know how stingy superclubs is about those vouchers...).

This will actually be our first time visiting Hedo2 and we're REALLY looking forward to it, hurricane or no hurricane!
    "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead" J. Buffett

Hope everything is past when we get there in 11 days.
    What dates are you going Woofie?
    Cop..
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CopNkitten View Post
    Hope everything is past when we get there in 11 days.
    What dates are you going Woofie?
    Cop..
    09/09 - 09/16 Looks like we're gonna overlap by one day

:~)
    "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead" J. Buffett