Thread: The hell? Register my laptop?

Angry The hell? Register my laptop?

I'm pretty sure Apples are made in Taiwan, but still. Has anyone heard of this? Paying duty on something you already own?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...ster_items.xml

If your laptop computer was made in Japan—for instance—you might have to pay duty on it each time you brought it back into the United States, unless you could prove that you owned it before you left on your trip. Documents that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals—are acceptable forms of proof.

To make things easier, you can register certain items with CBP before you depart— including watches, cameras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings. Take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457). It shows that you had the items with you before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry. CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration. You can also register items with CBP at the international airport from which you’re departing. Keep the certificate for future trips.
    How do you make 5 pounds of fat look good? Put a nipple on it.

I've never heard of that. I've travelled with my laptop before without issue. I think the burden of proof would be on them to prove you didn't own it before your trip.
    Chris
    Site Administrator
    AdultTravelForum - |The Naked Truth about Hedonism II|Slut Wear|Site Themed Clothing

Just got off the phone with CBP. He said I can just bring the form to the airport on the same day I depart. WHEW! I was afraid I'd have to make a rush trip to the airport today. (My port office just happens to be IAH.)

Thanks for your response, Chris. It's good to hear that you have not had any trouble. I'll take the form as backup just in case. After all, my PowerBook is the man in my life. He absolutely must accompany me.

3 more days!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!
    How do you make 5 pounds of fat look good? Put a nipple on it.

I know in Canada, at one time you needed to fill out a "green" card that was stamped with the items you took (into the US or else where) and their ser. numbers. That was the proof that you got it before you left.

I guess the Big question is, how do you prove your over seas made vibrators were in your possession before you left. I have not found a serial number on one yet!

Things that make you go hummm

hehe

Kris

I travel in and out the country on a regular basis and have never heard of paying a duty for a personal item. I drag my laptop with where ever I go and no problems at all.

The possibility has been long standing.

Yeah I've heard of this years ago and it is a reality but I've never registered anything I've taken on trips. Either personal or company. Does that mean I won't get put into a position in the future to pay such fees?

I don't really know but if you happen to get chosen for screening upon return I guess they could legally go after such stuff. The reality is that on vacations I hardly ever travel with much of value. A camera and snorkeling gear are about it. Some of the cameras I use to carry where so old that I don't think anybody at the border would really want to figure out their worth. With brand new hardware though you do have concerns.

Dave