Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica Air aka Sun Country warning!!

Jamaica Air aka Sun Country warning!!

Hi all,
    We just got back today from 7 days at Hedo II and thought we'd warn all of you flying on Air Jamaica which is now Carribean Air (since 7/1) which Sun Country Airlines is temporarily handeling all their buisness......that you need to get to the airport 3 hours, YES 3 HOURS before your flight. We stood in line at Ft. Laud. for 2.5 hrs for a flight that was delayed 1hr 20 mins. We didn't get to Hedo until 8:30 and our Flight was scheduled for 4:20pm. On the return trip, we had a 10:15 flight, left Hedo on the bus at 0630 am and got to MBJ at 0715. Got through the line and customs at 0945 when boarding began at 10am, 15 mins later. We boarded ans sat on the plane until 11:40 until they finally got everyone thorugh check in and on the plane. 3 HOURS people and bring your patience.......

Thanks for the tip. We are flying Air Jamaica (or whatever it is called now) as well.
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

There seem to be a lot of problems with Air Jamaica ( or whatever name), is it really worth your money or time?
    Long delays, plane problems, or 2 many cancellations, it seem 2 be a BIG issues but, I'm glad you guy got home safe,
    Last edited by TinaLoves2; 07-11-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Sun Country is not handling "all" of AJ/Caribbean's business. They have one plane flying two routes - a PHL-MBJ-FLL-MBJ-PHL routing. AJ also has contracted Miami Air for KIN-FLL-KIN flights and North American for KIN-JFK-KIN/JFK-POS-JFK routes.

Since the checkin is handled by AJ/Caribbean staff, or their contractors, I don't see how the delays you've described is Sun Country's fault. MBJ is typically jammed on Sat/Sun, and being the weekend after the 4th of July holiday, it wouldn't surprise me to see very long lines. I've also heard that AJ typically doesn't staff too well at MBJ for checkin-unless your traveling first class.

We've flown seven trips on Air Jamaica, usually on off days (not Fri-Sun) and our experience on both ends has always been better than average compared to other airlines. Yes, the line in MBJ to check in can be long, but the time the resort requires you to arrive at the airport has always been plenty adequate, if not too conservative. Our most recent flight, June 29, was on an Air Jamaica plane between MBJ and PHL. Did that Sun Country plane just recently take over the route? The food served to us on that return flight was Caribbean Air branded.
    H2 Trip #10: June 14-30, 2014

I don't recall blaming anyone in my post. I was mearley warning anyone using Air Jamaica that there were delays on BOTH ends. I'm sure it has to do with the takeover of the airlines. It may be nobodys fault or everybodys fault it doesn't matter....the intent was there are serious delays now and if flying Air Jamaica or whoever they turn out to be, you may want to get there early so as not to miss your flight to Hedo.

We've used AJ in the past when they had a direct flight from Chicago. They've since canceled the route even though it was packed both ways. Our only complaint about AJ is that the seats are cramped. We flew US Airways last year and that was a disaster with extremely short change overs and lost luggage for 2 days. This year, spirit airlines - we'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Hedo II - 20 - 27 July 2011 - Hedo II, The Naughty Side.
    Hedo III - 24 - 31 July 2010 - Hedo III, Part Deux.
    Hedo III - 26 - 31 July 2009 - Popping our Hedo Cherry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilsToy View Post
    We've used AJ in the past when they had a direct flight from Chicago. They've since canceled the route even though it was packed both ways. Our only complaint about AJ is that the seats are cramped. We flew US Airways last year and that was a disaster with extremely short change overs and lost luggage for 2 days. This year, spirit airlines - we'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    Let's face it, all airlines are terrible these days and a long flight is about two steps up from imprisonment in the county jail, but I have to agree with you about the cramped seats on AJ. They also used to have a nonstop red eye from LAX to MBJ which was also packed and which was also eliminated for whatever reason. We took it on our first Hedo trip and after 8+ hours on that plane, in those incredibly cramped seats, it took me hours to be able to walk normally again. It was brutal. Absolutely the most uncomfortable flight we have ever taken. I wouldn't fly AJ again on a bet.
    8/9/11 to 8/21/11 SOON COME, BUT NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Kitten & Angel's Spring Fling 4/5/12 to 4/14/12

Thankfully it is only a 2.5 hr flight for us so even though the seats a small (especially for me being 6' 4) i can deal with it for that short amount of time.
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimandkristy View Post
    Thankfully it is only a 2.5 hr flight for us so even though the seats a small (especially for me being 6' 4) i can deal with it for that short amount of time.
    Yes, 2.5 hours might work. After 2.5 hours, we haven't even arrived for our FOUR HOUR layover in Houston!
    8/9/11 to 8/21/11 SOON COME, BUT NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Kitten & Angel's Spring Fling 4/5/12 to 4/14/12

does anyone know if this is the same case for JFK/MBJ route or is whom ever they are now AJ/carr...

JFK-MBJ is being mostly flown by Caribbean Airlines 737-800s, with only rare North American substitutions.

Things should calm down a bit once the two additional 737-800s get on property, that Caribbean leased-but have been delayed due to late returns from their previous operators.

We have always been happy with AJ for about the past 10 or 12 years now. Twenty years ago when we first started going to Hedo they were referred to as Air Jamaybe. You never knew when you were going to take off or land. After Butch Steward took over things really turned around. We tried Spirit one year because they fly out of Atlantic City air port which is about 5 miles from our house. We will never fly them again. AJ first class out of Philly is the same price as Spirit's big front seat but AJ provides inflight meals and drinks.
    First trip to Hedo II.....1986
    First couple tossed out of the Grand Lideo..opening week

First of all thanks for the update... It is really appreciated. We are Flying with AJ at the end of the month and will be keeping our fingers crossed that our flights are smooth. I feel that it is a crap shoot. In the past few years I have heard negative threads on a lot of different airlines. We have traveled with AJ in the past out of Baltimore and it was great. We are going to arrive early and hope that everything erie!

Trip 4 H2 July 31 - Aug 7, 2011 Can't Wait To Go HOME
    AWOL ROCKS

AJ flies out of Philly non stop and leaves early and gets you to the resort before noon. And when you leave it leaves later in the evening so you can stay at Hedo a little longer on your last day.
    Main reason we use them.
    Cop....
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast