Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bald is beautiful?

Except for a “happy trail” from my belly button down, me and the wife stay smooth all year long. We have shaved for years, but were never satisfied with the results. With the constant daily stubble, red bumps, ingrown infected hairs that make you look like you have chicken pox, and itching, we could never make it look truly attractive. We have tried Bikini Bare, Tend Skin, and dozens of other products with marginal success after shaving.

After research we decided only way to make it smooth like a baby’s butt for weeks on end is to invest in an epilator. We bought the Braun 5270 X'elle Body System Epilator off of Amazon. This item has twelve hundred 4 ˝ stars positive reviews. Outside of laser treatment, this is the only way to go. A word of warning, read the reviews!! Even though this thing rocks, for newbies, it will be the most painful thing you have ever experienced X 10. After a few times, it gets easier and easier, and totally worth it.

This is something you cannot do a few weeks before Hedo. To get used to it, start a few months ahead of time. Also, this cannot be used around the jewels, I still have to use a shaver.

Quote Originally Posted by cahhhoo View Post
    After research we decided only way to make it smooth like a baby’s butt for weeks on end is to invest in an epilator. We bought the Braun 5270 X'elle Body System Epilator off of Amazon. This item has twelve hundred 4 ˝ stars positive reviews. Outside of laser treatment, this is the only way to go. A word of warning, read the reviews!! Even though this thing rocks, for newbies, it will be the most painful thing you have ever experienced X 10. After a few times, it gets easier and easier, and totally worth it.

Never heard of it, but will definately look this up on Amazon.

BTW, we have paid for many many laser treatments over the past 3 years. For about 6-8 weeks it's wonderful, then you do start getting some growth coming back. It hasn't turned out to be a permanent thing, as advertised - for us at least - even though we both have dark hair. Maybe laser is like a more expensive, perhaps less painful, waxing?.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    Bliss Cruise November, 2017

Sharon and Jerry

Waxing isn't bad at all. We both have it done and think it's the only way to go. I'm even going to try to get it done either before I leave Afghanistan for R&R or in Dubai or Germany before I meet up with my wife. One thing I would say about back waxing for some reason my back broke out at Hedo in March not sure if it was the waxing or something in the water. I'd guess it was a combo of both. Just make an appointment for both of you then you can both be smooth together. The more you get it done the longer it last and the less pain you have.

Best investment ever: Seiko clean cut !

My preference is waxing but where we live now, a full and true Brazillian wax is not available . Hubby was using a manscape trimmer but now we both use Veet and are happy with results-- is like waxing in the fact that the more you do it, the thinner the hair gets

Know someone mentioned the little red bumps and ingrown hairs---the more you go over the same area with a razor, the more likely you will get razor rash--also go in direction of hair growth, not against the growth or you will get razor rash. Onto the ingrown hairs, the hot tub really seems to bring them out so to speak- when you get back to room, kind of squeeze like a pimple ( eww gross I know) then use tweezers to remove offending hair - know this is really personal info but if ya get the hair out, end of problem!

If you get home and have painful red bumps where you shave, might want to see doc for antibiotics- hot tub folliculitis is not uncommon
    Kiki

Jon's Fluffernutters July 11-20, 2014
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2013
    Jon's Fluffernutters July 2011
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2010
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2009
    Jon's Fluffernutters Feb 2008

Once u wax, u will never go back!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernFried View Post
    My preference is waxing but where we live now, a full and true Brazillian wax is not available . Hubby was using a manscape trimmer but now we both use Veet and are happy with results-- is like waxing in the fact that the more you do it, the thinner the hair gets

Know someone mentioned the little red bumps and ingrown hairs---the more you go over the same area with a razor, the more likely you will get razor rash--also go in direction of hair growth, not against the growth or you will get razor rash. Onto the ingrown hairs, the hot tub really seems to bring them out so to speak- when you get back to room, kind of squeeze like a pimple ( eww gross I know) then use tweezers to remove offending hair - know this is really personal info but if ya get the hair out, end of problem!
    You have rightly identified some of the problems with shaving. Although the quickest and easiest, it does have its downside. Lots of great advise so far that we greatly appreciate.

One interesting suggestion was an "epilator". Never heard of it before so we did some research online. From what we can tell, it seems to work in a very similar manner as "waxing" but for the wax. It removes the hairs (like waxing) by pulling them out with a rotating head that catches even the smallest hairs. It's apparently painful like waxing but once you get used to it.... ah, its probably still painful.

So anyway, someone suggested a Braun 5270. It seems that that model has been discontinued (I called head office in Canada and that is what I was told) but there is apparently a newer model: Braun Rechargable Epilator 7781. Kind of looking into that now. It does not appear to be available in stores and has to be ordered online.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

Sharon and Jerry

Wow, they just discontinued it. If you want the link to read the reviews of the old product, copy and paste: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EZYKTS

If you're interested in an epilator, I would definitely read some of the 1200 reviews, its very insightful. People tell you their techniques on how to epilate. I am not sure what the new model is.

For the public area, it is so painful, words cannot explain it. When I bought it, I promised I would give it 3 months. I am happy I did. My technique was to epilate very small patches in the groin every day. I did that for about a month till the hairs became easier to pull . Now when the hairs come back, they are not nearly as tough to pull. I now epilate once a month and its a breeze. Its still painful, but not nearly as bad.

My wife epilates probably every 6 weeks. Her hair is not as course. Her tender spots are the arm pits and groin, but over time, it becomes easier.

Whatever you do, good luck. And again, to get a good education whether epilating is for you, read the reviews.

The new model maybe the Braun 5180.

I just started waxing again after a 15-year hiatus. WOW forgot how much that stings. We're not going for another 8 months, but from what I remember if i start now by February I'll only have to go every 3-4 weeks if not longer. I forgot how nice a good Brazilian looks and feels. The hubby mentioned something about trying a wax-job for himself and all I can say is YEAH BABY!
    Angie
    H2 27APR-5MAY 2013
    H2 4FEB-11FEB 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Make sure he watches "The 40 Year Old Virgin" first.
    What Women Want is another with an amusing segment on waxing...

Quote Originally Posted by PhotogFlight View Post
    I just started waxing again after a 15-year hiatus. WOW forgot how much that stings. We're not going for another 8 months, but from what I remember if i start now by February I'll only have to go every 3-4 weeks if not longer. I forgot how nice a good Brazilian looks and feels. The hubby mentioned something about trying a wax-job for himself and all I can say is YEAH BABY!
    Make sure he goes some where reputable.

Thats not something I would want to try at home.

Cheers
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cahhhoo View Post
    For the public area, it is so painful, words cannot explain it.
    We ordered one online to try. Neither of us (well, Judy actually kind of likes....) are S & M types so you can imagine how much we look forward to this.....

Sharon and Jerry

Wow, you took the plunge and bought one. You are very brave. Just remember, the first time is pure hell. Just grit your teeth and remember it gets easier and easier if you stick with it. The roots always come back weaker and the hair thinner.

At first, do small patches or however much your pain tolerance will allow you. It may take a week or so to finish the first time and the area may look like sh#t, but its only temporary. When you are finally bald below, go over it once or more a week for a month or two. Hair grows back at different speeds, thus if you do a weekly grooming, the patches won't be as thick and as painful when plucking the first time.

Once you have done your region a few times in the first couple of months, you can probably switch over and start doing it once a month.

After each session, I use Tend Skin (alcohol mixed with aspirin) for the swelling. Your skin will be swollen, tender and red for a few hours. This will go away over night. The swelling gets less and less overtime too. Remember, you are really shocking that area by pulling out thick hair that does not want to be pulled out. Your body will not like that.

Some suggestions.
    Do shots of vodka before your first attempt. I did.
    Hair needs to be no longer than 1/4 inch.
    Shave it bare at first. Then when the hair comes back, start epilating every other day so you only pull up a few hairs at a time. ( I did not do this, wish I did.)
    Pull the skin tight with your fingers the closer you epilate near the jewels. The skin gets a little softer there, and you don't want it to catch.

Just remember, a thousand people gave this 4 1/2 stars. Give it a couple of months and you will be pleased.

Good luck!

We've been trying to sort through some of the reviews and evidently there are units that work only in a dry environment, and others that can work both dry and wet. Some of the reviews / marketing literature suggests that using the 'wet' type with warm water eases the pain somewhat. Is there any truth to this?
    Last edited by hkdilbert; 06-20-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: fix typo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast