Thread: Key West Trip

Key West Trip

Me and my wife are going to Key West July 1 were looking for something fun to do on our 5th aniversery were in our 40s I hope someone has some ideas

Garden of Eden --3.rd floor of the Bull and Whistle -- clothing opt. dance bar We also took a jet ski tour of the island -- awesome!

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Depending on where you stay, some of the guest houses are clothing optional and the Pier House resort on the Gulf side has a topless beach.

Otherwise, Key West has so much to keep you busy (or not) from doing the Duval (street) Crawl bar-hopping to watching sunset from either the rooftop of the La Concha Hotel or Mallory Square. More t-shirt and gift shops than you imagine and unique shops like the Key Lime Pie or Blonde Giraffe.

Cruise ships frequent KW during the day but as soon as they leave, the town returns to "normal". It can be fun to watch the cruise passengers get drunk at such famous bars like Captain Tony's, Sloppy Joes, Irish Kevins, or even Margaritaville.

Catch a hilarious drag show at night at the 8091 Bourbon St. Club bar or as the previous member mentioned, go to the open rooftop of the Bull and Whistle to the Garden of Eden which is clothing optional and dance the night away, get bodypainted by Tioti.

I have a large list of do's and don'ts and tips for 1st timers to Key West and Fantasy Fest if you are interested. I've been to KW probably 25 times and to Fantasy Fest 11 times now.

Anyway you do it, KW is easy to get around and way too easy to become a charter member of the TMFC (Too Much Fun Club). :-)

Registered User The Travel Slut's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have learned a few things through personal experience or the experience of others: (in no particular order) for Key West & some Fantasy Fest adventures:

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Key West is a walking town especially on and around Duval Street so comfortable, soled shoes or sandals are a must. Don't walk downtown in barefeet as the streets are likely to have either debris or glass, etc. that could cut up your feet. Also, in the heat, both streets and sidewalks heat up tremendously and you don't want to either burn your feet or have to do an emergency purchase of shoes/sandals from a downtown vendor.

Toiletries & Medical Supplies: Essentials if you plan do to the "Duval Crawl" include: aspirin, Tylenol, antacids, Pepto-Bismol, and Chaser Plus. You should also have available at your hotel or B&B at least some insect repellent, sunscreen & aloe vera gel.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you plan to do the beaches, bring a blanket and or chair and some sort of sun protection. The sun is brutal on skin not normally exposed to this heat and at this latitude.

Transportation: During high season or any major event, parking can be almost non-existent near Duval Street even if you have a reservation at the Bed & Breakfast or small motel or hotel. Don't even think about parking in a resident's zone unless you have specific permission--the fine and/or tow bill will be huge.

There are parking garages, meters and some free side-street parking but again, if there is something going on in Key West (which seems to be most every weekend), then parking may be both expensive and limited.

Be cautious driving on the one-way streets, the narrow streets and the streets where the conch train operates. Watch out for bicycles, pedalcabs, small electric vehicles and of course, pedestrians.

Key West is small and compact in size and some streets are both narrow and have obscured sidewalks or side paths so watch your step--especially at night.

Be extremely careful driving as pedestrians (sometimes intoxicated, sometimes jaywalking) will walk right out in front of you driving from a previously hidden area.

Be careful on the streets of bicylists and people riding scooters or Vespa's that may not be used to operating them. It is easy to be distracted while looking and at the sites of Key West.

Key West also has a "conch "train that operates on both main and side streets-be sure to give it leeway as it is long in length.

Coming into Key West's "new town" at the north end of the island, is a culture shock after driving the previous 50 miles or so. Key West is modern and developed. Be cautious of traffic controls, traffic workers, and slow-downs. Don't be in a hurry. You are now on island time.

Key West during some evenings and especially during Fantasy Fest is definitely not for the timid or shy and small children should not be downtown after dark (or at all if possible). Bodypaint, nudity and skimpy, sexy clothing (or lack thereof) often rules!

Now, for some important DO's AND DON'T's

Don't wear shoes you can't walk in.

Do make sure you have a place to stay before you get too drunk.

Don't go out carrying valuable items that you are likely to lose when you get drunk such as a purse wallet, expensive jewelry or your spouse.

Do wrap your money in plastic or a ziplock first if you have nothing to carry it in but your bikini bottoms or sweaty shorts.

Do be aware that if you take Henrietta home with you may wake up with Henry.

Do carry some info or business card of your motel/hotel/B&B address so someone can help get you home if you need help late at night

Don't be afraid to dress up. Have an outrageous time and tip big.

In the meantime, take care, travel safe and have safe fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    And if you happen to drop your wallet on Duval Street.......you had better kick it all the way up US 1 to Marathon before it is safe to bend over and pick it up....
    LOL just let the wife pick it up she's safe j/k we love Key West

If you want clothing optional we have stayed at Marrero's Guest House and it was great. Only the pool is c/o but we really enjoyed it. Garden of Eden clothing optional bar is hit or miss but if you want to get naked it's one of those places you need to hit at least once.

Not exactly romantic anniversary type fun we always have a good time walking through the cemetery. It's home to the famous "I told you I was sick" and many others. Stop at Sharon Wells Gallery on lower Duval and pick up a walking/biking guide to the island for a lot of good info.

If you have any specific questions there's probably someone on here that could help you out.

Rusty...

Enjoyed reading your information on Fantasy Fest. This will be our first Key West and first Fantasy Fest trip!

I've never heard of fantasy fest but I'm going to google it right now. Sounds like a fun place, thank you for the info.
    Hedo 3 Nov 2009
    Hedo 2 Nov 2010
    Hedo 2 Nov 2011
    Hedo 2 Nov 2012
    Hedo 2 Nov 2013
    Hedo 2 Nov 2014
    Temptation Jan 2016
    Hedo 2 Dec 2016
    Hedo 2 Dec 2017

We love Key West! Keep in mind it is a very "touristy" place. There countless ways to spend your money, great bars and restaurants , shops with t-shirts and lots of sexy swimsuits and dresses. We could sit at a sidewalk bar and watch people all day ! There are hundreds of guests house type lodging. They are converted old homes made into very quaint and rustic. Our favorite place is the Pilot House guest house. It has a clothing optional pool in the central courtyard, and hot tub. And it's only a block from the center of duvall st. It does not have a bar or restaurant onsite, and if you don't feel like going out all the time there is a liquor store and supermarket in close proximity. We've never done Fantasy fest, but it's on our list. A great week to go is right before Christmas with the decorations, boat/light parade and warm weather. I would recommend flying directly there and not renting a car. Taxis, rickshaws are plentiful, or you can rent bicycles or scooters.

Key West is one of our favorites. We always stay at Marreros. Half block off Duval and a clothing optional pool!

Sounds real neet to me...On my bucket list now...yippie....woo hoo...Here we cum.....!!!