Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Jamaica thinking? Arrested an American

Blog Entries

What is Jamaica thinking? Arrested an American

http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-may-face-950063.html

The gist is, this guy pulls an old suitcase out of the closet, and in the inseam of the baggage, a 22 caliber bullet was found. He is now looking at charges that will net him 7 years in prison. He has no idea where it came from, and that he doesn't even own a gun.

Do they know what this does to tourism?
    R and M
    -—-------
    Hedo 2
    1. June 2010
    2. June 2011
    3. June 2012
    4. January 2013
    5. July 2016
    6. June 2017 Married
    7. January 2018
    8. September 2018
    9. February 2019
    10. May 2019
    11. February 2020

Desire
    June 2012

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvurodstee View Post
    http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-may-face-950063.html

The gist is, this guy pulls an old suitcase out of the closet, and in the inseam of the baggage, a 22 caliber bullet was found. He is now looking at charges that will net him 7 years in prison. He has no idea where it came from, and that he doesn't even own a gun.

Do they know what this does to tourism?
    One bullet...? OMG!
    After work I am thoroughly going thru my luggage, for ammo, and other items that may cause alarm. I guess the gun shaped bar of soap will have to stay home as well.

I am surprised he made it out of the states with it. This does sux for them though.
    Hedo II April 20th- 27th 2011 virgin trip
    Hedo II April 22 - 28 2012 With Hedo Mojo
    Hedo II April 12 - 19 2014

Blog Entries
    i have traveled alot over the globe and always give this advice to other americans. keep in mind i never go anywhere nice when i travel for work. the first thing to remember is that for the most part americans are not well liked. we are looked at like police officers and often getting into countrys where we are not welcome during times of trouble. number two we are looked at like we are rich and spoiled. for the most part i do tend to agree with the rich part. when put into comparsion of other countrys. jealousy can be and ugly thing. so i tell co-workers to be on guard and use the buddy system. of course the buddy system requires that you trust the buddy. lol that being said i do travel to jamaica on MY time and think for the most part its a wonderfull country.

I don't think this is typical behavior. However, I think anyone traveling to another country should check their own luggage before packing it. We can't expect other countries to share the same ideals of our justice system. that's just my two cents.

Terrorism? Seven years?

In our experience, the Jamaican authorities — the customs agents, we mean — have tried to be really, really serious in their comportment, as if national or international security hung in the balance.

We don't know how the stupid bullet got into the luggage, but puhleeeeease.

What will the authorities think of our Ben-Wa Balls?

Lacey and Cliff
    New York
    June 18-23

Sometimes counts how was the discussion between them. Was it a calm one, or he was extremely arrogant with the authorities? We never know how the behave was. Because, as far as I can see a bullet is not a reason to be in jail or be treated like being a terrorist. Come on!!

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure this will work out fine. Probably not very pleasant for the poor dude, but I bet he'll survive. That said: There are too many freaking guns in the Carribean period. The whole polictical history of the region has been at the written at the end of a smoking barrel. Remember!!! they shot Bob Marley

Importation of illegal guns is a big problem, customs overreacted for sure, but a little understandable.
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Glad they didnt find my plastic/rubber training gun painted black to look real in my checked luggage for my fetish cop outfit in April.
    Cop....
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul kenti View Post
    Sometimes counts how was the discussion between them. Was it a calm one, or he was extremely arrogant with the authorities? We never know how the behave was. Because, as far as I can see a bullet is not a reason to be in jail or be treated like being a terrorist. Come on!!
    That's the first thing I thought of too. "Terroristic threats" don't happen just from a bullet being in your luggage.. My guess is if you're just an American with a bullet inadvertently stuck in your luggage, you're probably ok, but if you're a loud, obnoxious American with a bullet in your luggage, you're probably in trouble.
    8/9/11 to 8/21/11 SOON COME, BUT NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Kitten & Angel's Spring Fling 4/5/12 to 4/14/12

Blog Entries

dont Mule Ben Wa Balls & ugly Americans

Quote Originally Posted by sheercliff15 View Post
    Terrorism? Seven years?

In our experience, the Jamaican authorities — the customs agents, we mean — have tried to be really, really serious in their comportment, as if national or international security hung in the balance.

We don't know how the stupid bullet got into the luggage, but puhleeeeease.
    What will the authorities think of our Ben-Wa Balls?
    Lacey and Cliff
    New York
    June 18-23
    especially if they are being mule'ed into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by paul kenti View Post
    Paul good point.... Being an ugly American is not the way to go when dealing w/ custom officials .

The unfortunate thing is nobody realy knows what happened. If you trust what you read in the paper
    your "crazy". Most times it depends on what side (right/left wing) the media is on and even then they
    only get half the story. Forget the fact he was American. What was his attitude with the customs people,
    did he have a reasonable explanation as to why it was there (used bags?), was he held for investigative
    purposes or was he charged? As a Canadian I can attest that going into the U.S., which I live 20min from
    and do on a regular basis, is not the same since the world has changed. After years of access with only
    a drivers licence or birth certificate I now require a passport to enter the U.S. and am regularly searched
    and questioned which never happened before. Do I mind or complain....No. I can't blame Boarder services for
    being more diligent no matter what country it is.
    Last edited by scott-n-bobbi; 05-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-r...om-951354.html

Good news. He did get out with a $3000.00 fine. For a friggin' bullet. Glad that Sodomy and Recreational drug use is still legal there. . .
    R and M
    -—-------
    Hedo 2
    1. June 2010
    2. June 2011
    3. June 2012
    4. January 2013
    5. July 2016
    6. June 2017 Married
    7. January 2018
    8. September 2018
    9. February 2019
    10. May 2019
    11. February 2020

Desire
    June 2012

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvurodstee View Post
    http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-r...om-951354.html

Good news. He did get out with a $3000.00 fine. For a friggin' bullet. Glad that Sodomy and Recreational drug use is still legal there. . .
    Is that $3,000 Jamaican Dollars? If so, that's not too bad considering what could have happened, but it's probably the most expensive bullet ever bought! By the way, contrary to popular opinion, ganja is illegal in Jamaica, not too sure about sodomy, but I would guess that's illegal too. Jamaica is really a very conservative country once you get outside the gates of Hedo. LOL
    Last edited by CandG; 05-19-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    8/9/11 to 8/21/11 SOON COME, BUT NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Kitten & Angel's Spring Fling 4/5/12 to 4/14/12

Gives new meaning to "biting the bullet."

Lacey and Cliff
    June 18-23

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast