Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To "group" or not to "group"...

To "group" or not to "group"...

We've booked our first trip to H2 for this coming February to celebrate the husband's 30th birthday. I've read so many things about the different groups. Is there a benefit to aligning yourself with a group? Especially as virgins, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to find a group who will be there when we will. Or do you have to book THROUGH a group?

So confused. Help a new chick out, huh?

Thanks!!

There are no quick answers to your questions.

Some groups require you to book through them, others are less organized. Some have formal membership, others are more loosely configured.

Some couples want the group experience, others want to do more of their own thing.

Some groups swing, some are more party-oriented.

My advice for a first trip would be to go and enjoy the ambiance, and figure out what will work for you as a couple. Some groups are very inclusive and open to new people they may meet there while others are a little more cliquish. Then if you decide to return at some point, you have a basis to make a more informed decision on how best to enjoy Hedo and what to look for if you decide the group experience is for you.
    Last edited by JW1; 05-01-2011 at 10:16 AM.

We highly recommend to align yourself with a group, especially since you are virgins.

Most groups prefer you book THROUGH them although any good group will "adopt" you if you mention you are going around the same time but already booked your trip. (we do it all the time)

The benefits of being with a group are.. you get to "know" people before you go.. (they usually have chats before the trip).. you have someone to "hang" with if you are not very outgoing.. it makes it easier to meet other folks and strike up conversations. The one thing we stress with our group is.. it's YOUR vacation.. join us as much as you want.. go alone as much as you want, but we are here if you need anything!

Booking through a group, you usually get a better rate than booking through Superclubs.

We can come up with more after more coffee!

Enjoy!
    Celebrating 10 Years of Spring Fling Fun at Hedo in 2018!

Virgin Trip Hedo III 4/10-17/2008
    New Years Eve, Dec.26 to Jan 3, 2009 Bare Bottom Bunch
    Fred's 60th Birthday Celebration 07/16-21/2009
    Co-Host of kitten & angel's Spring Fling April 2009 - 2017
    Co-Host of kitten & angel's Spring Fling 04/07 ~ 04/14/2018

kitten & angel's 10th Anniversary Spring Fling 2018 - April 07~14
    http://www.kittennangel.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PhotogFlight View Post
    We've booked our first trip to H2 for this coming February to celebrate the husband's 30th birthday. I've read so many things about the different groups. Is there a benefit to aligning yourself with a group? Especially as virgins, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to find a group who will be there when we will. Or do you have to book THROUGH a group?

So confused. Help a new chick out, huh?
    Thanks!!

Group, group, group!
    I just returned from a great week with Mary Ellyns Spring Break group and had a blast.
    Going with a group allows you to meet online before hand making indroductions easier at the resort.

Dont feel that you have to group up though.
    As great as our group was (and they were awesome!), I met lots of others that came with out a group.

Sometimes going with a group will get you a discount if you book with their travel agent.
    Sometimes a group will "guarantee" you with a no bump clause if you book with them (strength in numbers).

My vote is check the calendars here and at DennyP and see what groups are going when you are considering, read up on them online and see if they are a match to who you are, and if so, contact them for further info.

Cheers
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Lots of great advice already! We'll be there 4Feb-11Feb of this coming year. Anyone know of a good group that's there then? Also, I've heard that February is a "Lifestyle" month...any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotogFlight View Post
    Lots of great advice already! We'll be there 4Feb-11Feb of this coming year. Anyone know of a good group that's there then? Also, I've heard that February is a "Lifestyle" month...any truth to that?
    Hope this helps,

CLICK HERE FOR HEDO 2 TRAVEL GROUPS

CLICK HERE FOR HEDO 2 TRIP CALENDAR

CLICK HERE FOR DENNY P TRIP CALENDAR

Cheers
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

In a word... Group! Soooo much more fun!
    Cocktails International Hedo II July 19 - 26, 2014
    Cocktails International Hedo II July 18 - 25, 2015

T11 With The Cocktails Crew!!

well I can speak pretty well about this since we had the same issue. Our first trip, we went without a group and had a great time but never got with any groups but met some great people and had a blast. We weren't sure of what to do when we booked but after the trip was over, we knew that we needed to find a group that we would fit into and so we started looking. Our second trip, we booked with Wild Women and doing that, we were able to find others on this site that had booked with them so when we got there, we already knew people and had a better time then before. The 3rd and 4th times, we kind of became the "tour guide" of the smaller group we were in and were showing everybody around. This trip we are again going with Wild Women but we also have friends that are in another group that will be there so hoping that maybe we can be adopted into that group as well. Doesn't matter if your with a group or not, everyone there is extremely friendly and you will have a great time no matter what but I do agree that after you go, it does get better once you are with a group.
    Again with flip-cup??

4/24-4-29 2006
    5/12-5/19 2007
    11/3-11/10 2007
    5/2-5/9 2009

7/30-8/6 2011 First time at H2
    7-28-8/4 2012 H2

All great advice from everyone so far. There are some other intangibles that you don't readily pick up on when considering "Group" or "No Group".

You never have to go to dinner alone unless you choose to. When you walk into the main dining room (even on the first night) there will already be lots of people you know who most surely will invite you to join them. Usually during the day various folkis will be making lists of folks to join them at one of themed restaurants since they made a reservation for 10 people, and now need to fill it. Our group tries hard to always make sure someone includes the "Newbies".

Some groups plan unique theme nights, and theme nights within theme nights (we do several). Through chats and private message boards you can learn what everyone else is planning and then include your own plans with them if you choose to. We started our unique "Wear Mesh and Glow" party many years ago. Lots of us bring tons of glow material and the whole group meets around 10:00 PM to exchange and make sure everyone is "lit up" before we begin our grand march through the resort to the disco. (You can probably see us from the Space Shuttle).

Even if the group does not require that you book with them, as many do, you can learn where the best deals are through the chats and private message boards run by the group and perhaps save some money.

The "no bumping" claim that some groups make, may or may not be true, but if you are part of a group you can be sure the group leader is talking to the resort management in advance to preclude that happening. In 12 years of group trips to both Hedo's we have never had anyone bumped and we have no contractural guarantees of "No bumping".

When you arrive at the resort, tired, thristy and hungry from your journey, if you are part of our group, you will be met in the lobby by our Welcome Committee with your stated choice of drinks. Other groups have started to do the same. When you arrive at the Nude Pool, you'll usually be greeted with lots of Hello's and Hugs by 30 - 50 -or 100 of your newest best friends.

Hope all that helps.
    Last edited by Sunset Bill; 05-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Oh and one more thing.

No group (that I am aware of) demands that you participate in any or all of their scheduled activities.
    You can take it as easy as you like.

I know of some that will join more than one group at a time and float between the two picking and choosing what they participate in.
    Its your vacation, and its all about you!

Cheers
    ScubaSteve Video

I have mixed feelings on this. We joined a casual official group our first year. The results were a miserable fail, but we mixed in with a fun group. There is a casual June group.
    "here we are, ya'll, come say hello if you'd like, this is when we'll be there!" About 6-8 couples in a more than casual group (B52's) coordinate so our vacation at least over-laps. Many are vets. But quite a few are "new comers" We're a very open "come join in the fun if you want to, you don't have to be official members" Though we do have one pre-planned dinner.
    Some groups, you have to book through them. If you can't otherwise book, book through them. If it's a heavy season, book through a group. Usually, people with a paying group don't get bumped, so that's a plus.

Group or not, I highly suggest chatting with people before you go. Keep in mind though, just because they talk to you here, laugh and have fun, doesn't mean you'll mesh well in real life. That was our problem the 1st year. The leader of the group we joined said nothing to me except hello. 5? over lapping trips, I"ve gotten 1 full sentence from him. And it wasn't an apology when he broke my toe, either. Do I sound a bit bitter about this? Probably. But when you don't even get a damned apology from someone who breaks your toe at the beginning (not our 1st) of your trip, it puts a damper on things. I couldn't even get in the hot tub!!! This was someone my husband and I chatted with more than a dozen times. Our virgin trip was still fabulous, and we met some great people that we still chat with, and I even remember some of the first conversations we had.

In summary;
    If you have to join a group to book, join a group
    If you decide to join a group, make sure it's one you'll mesh well with. If you're not a swinger, don't join a swinger's group.
    If you decide not to join a group, still chat with people who are going to be there at the same time as you will
    Don't expect to have the same dynamics when you meet in real life
    Have a great time, and be friendly.

**I want to add, I don't think even 95% of group leaders are like this. I highly doubt more than a tiny fraction have run into a group leader that would ignore you. This is just my experience and doubt many others have had a similar experience. Especially someone apologizing after breaking your toe.
    seriously, who does NOT apologize after breaking your toe?! Very very very few people in the general population. I don't want this story to influence someone's decision, it was simply my experience. It's just an example on how you may not mesh with someone you meet in real life, which has happened to more than just me.
    Last edited by magjoy; 05-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Sounds like you dont want to be any part of any group that would actually accept you as a member.

Sarcastic Steve,
    ScubaSteve Video

More words of wisdom! You guys are awesome.

I think my main reason for doing a group thing would be to have a bit of a safety net when we get there. Organized events would be fun, especially with my hubby celebrating a birthday while we're there. However, I think I could find some like-minded people right here on the forums, especially once it gets nearer in time to our trip. Virgin butterflies, I suppose

Well we would like to throw in our Canadian two cents .....

We are going in July with the fluffiernutter group as Hedo virgins. It is a large group.
    Prior to that, we went to Desire three times. First time no group, second time with a takeover group and third time with the fluffers. We do prefer the group environment and the friendship that comes from it. In all fairness, we also had a great time at Desire with no group. It really is all about the people you meet and the connections you make with other couples. We've been lucky to pick up goods friends each trip that we stay in touch with and that to us is a big part of what it's all about ( but not the only part, of course).

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________
    Bliss Cruise November, 2017

Sharon and Jerry

Blog Entries
    We have done many group trips, and several trips without the group. The trips with the group have been FAR more fun than the trips we take without any group.

www.cocktailsintl.com

Drink up the Guilty Pleasures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast