Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too good to be true?

Too good to be true?

Ok...here's the dealio:

Today, we recieved a phone call from a very courteous lady saying she was representing Megaclub, or Megabucks, or something like that....based in Jamaica...and asking if we remembered taking a trip to Hedo2 last January. Which we do...how do you forget a Hedo trip???...but I digress....

Anyway, she goes on to tell me, that our reservation # at Hedo from that trip was drawn in a raffle held by SuperClubs (and managed by the firm she works for), and according to her, we had won the 2nd place prize.....part of which was 2 weeks at any Superclubs resort. There was also a sizeable cash prize as well.

After getting all of that deciphered (the line from Jamaica to Ontario is kinda like two tin cans connected by a string....so it took a bit), I basically told her that usually if something sounded too good to be true, it usually was, and I speculated how long it would be before they were asking for my Visa # to complete this transaction. She kind of laughed and tried to assure me that at no time would they need a credit card number, and proceeded to give me another # to call, and an agents name to talk to, to verify the validity of the situation.

At this point I explained to her, that we wouldn't be able to call right away as we were on our way out, and she said that was fine, that she would call back on Monday, and that should give us time to make any calls we needed to make. She also mentioned that she was surprised that an agent hadn't been in contact with us yet, because this prize had been drawn back in November, and they were planning on having all the winners together at the end of this month to accept their prizes.

*takes deep breath*

Now...I'm still inclined to believe that this is total bullshit: a) because nothing this good ever happens to us. ...and... b) nothing this good ever happens to us. Oh, and that thing I said before about if something seems to good to be true....yadda yadda yadda...

...but I wanted to ask around 1st....just in case. So, has anybody else recieved a call like this? Does anybody know of Superclubs having draws like this one? Should we stop packing the suitcases because we're delusional and somebody is fucking with us in our weakened state, suffering from DIF like we are....

What sayeth the masses??
    Party like a rockstar

Hedo Scoreboard
    Hedo3 - Dec.26/08-Jan.3/09
    Hedo2&3-Dec.30/09-Jan.6/10
    Hedo2 - not freeking soon enough!!!

We've never heard of anything like this...not to say it isn't possible. We would be just like you, very skeptical. But hey make the phone calls you never know. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!
    So do whatever it takes
    'Cause you can't rewind a moment in this life

H3
    April 27-May 4 2008
    April 24-May 2 2009
    April 23-May 1 2010
    _ R.I.P. H3 _

H2
    April 1st-10 2011
    March 30-April 7 2012
    March 28th-April 6th 2013
    March 27th-April 5th 2014

It does sound too good to be true- but as long as they don't ask for a deposit or a CC# then I say pursue it. See where it goes. What could it hurt?

Hope it is a cool prize for you- a little jealous actually!
    Cheers!
    Nick (y la buena suerte Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Check the area code number to be sure it is not one of those that charge you $2,000 per minute. If it is for real great for you. Good luck

sgtkbf hit on what I was thinking exactly. I believe the area code to call will end up being in the Dominican. If you call it
    you are SCREWED! I'm betting you will not here from them again. If curiosity still getting the better of you call
    superclubs and get their take on it. Would be a great prize to win but doubt it.

Not an 876 number is it?

Ya, it's 876, which means it's from Jamaica...... I did a reverse look-up on the number, and it's a cell phone # from Kingston, but I can't get any more info than that.

There's a website I found that lists scam calls originating from Jamaica, along with all the phone #'s used, and the number I have isn't listed, which could be a good thing, but really basically means nothing....it could be a new phone, or scam...or a new phone used in an old scam...lol.

The detective work is a nice break, but I'm not holding my breath about any of it being for real until I talk to somebody at Superclubs.

And if it IS a scam, it begs the question: wtf is SuperClubs doing?? Are they handing out our personal information to the highest bidder? Or is their security on our information so lax that obtaining it illegally is just that easy?
    Party like a rockstar

Hedo Scoreboard
    Hedo3 - Dec.26/08-Jan.3/09
    Hedo2&3-Dec.30/09-Jan.6/10
    Hedo2 - not freeking soon enough!!!

Check this out, seems all the scams use that 876 number, might try calling Superclubs direct first.

http://www.ucan.org/blog/telecommuni...nal_Rates_Scam

The biggest problem is that it may not be superclubs itself. It could be an employee getting paid for numbers, could be anyone that knew were you were and
    you used a credit card in town. People that run scams aren't stupid. Getting information is easy, smooth talking you into the scam is the hard part. Unfortunately
    these scam artists play on the fact that alot of people are nieve and won't question a free anything.

If it walks like a duck...........

I would walk to a pay phone and call them collect.
    See if they accept.

Give them ficticious info and wait for them to say "Yes, I have your file right here."

Post their number here and we can all call them collect whenever we pass a pay phone.

Cheers
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    call Hedo, ask for Kevin Levee, general manager, he'll know.
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

I agree with calling either Hedo or SC and see if they are offering anything like you have received.
    First trip to Hedo II.....1986
    First couple tossed out of the Grand Lideo..opening week

Seems sort of stupid to wait 3.5 months to call a contest winner....who won a contest they didn't enter or know about. I bet they got your name and email from a visitors list like at DennyP's site, then did a little research to get your phone number. We got spammed BIGTIME at an email we posted there a few years ago....

But that said....I agree with the rest...call H2 and/or superclubs and get them to verify it. If nothing else...REPORT it to them.
    "Well, it’s a sad, sad situation. Now I need a goddamn vacation."
    - Jaret Reddick/Bowling for Soup

We had someone get my wife's cell phone number in Jamaica a couple of years ago. We were getting scam calls like this 4-5 times a week. Some were pretty bad (this is UPS,
    we have a check for 1.2 Million that we are trying to deliver!!!) to pretty good (this is a Negil police department, someone has turned in you wallet). We got ATT to block the
    numbers, but then the crooks would just block their caller ID!!! Then we ran out of numbers we could block. Finally had to change my wifes cell number !!

Better idea, we should book a week at Hedo right now and investigate this from ground zero, when are you free to go?? )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast