Thread: bug bites

bug bites

has anyone else ever has bites on ther legs after walking on the beach. and how do ya prevent them they suck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wackoo22 View Post
    has anyone else ever has bites on ther legs after walking on the beach. and how do ya prevent them they suck
    Yes, the likely culprit is sand fleas and you're much more likely to get bit at night than during the day. You should also avoid disturbing any rocks, plant debris, etc. that may be lying on the beach whether day or night. In April at H2 we were looking for a rock we had painted several years ago and right near Delroy's there is a pile of old painted rocks. I started looking through them and quickly found out this was not a good idea. I got eaten alive and those bites itch like crazy and last a long time. We've found that Deep Woods Off works about as well as anything, but even that isn't a guarantee against getting bitten by sand fleas.
    Last edited by CandG; 07-14-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
    8/9/11 to 8/21/11 SOON COME, BUT NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Kitten & Angel's Spring Fling 4/5/12 to 4/14/12

Blog Entries
    This March I was bitten by some type of bugs (luckily on my last day) Somebody said it was sand fleas. Sombody said it was red ants that were falling off of the shade tree on the beach. Years ago I was bitten by "duck mites" in a freshwater lake and it was very similar. In any case it made for a very red itchy few days. Are there any bug experts out there who know about this type of thing?

I have heard there are those nasty red ants around and the bit can be quite annoying.
    Also know there can be the sand fleas at night on the beach as well.
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Deet.. Deep woods off or whatever has the most deet..
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/BostonMel/random%20board%20crap/crazyph.gif

www.crzyphckers.com

Can't wait to get home!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. I do tend to go to the beach early, so from now on the ankles are getting the deet treatment.

The wife and i stayed in montego bay in 96 for our honeymoon and that was in August. She was bittin my mosquitos very night. Ended up putting some kind of rum on her legs to keep the bugs off.