Thread: Yet another Air travel Question

Yet another Air travel Question

Still a ways to go till we leave...but like Lewis and Alice we like getting our airfare in order WAY in advance (also always been the cheapest doing so)...but WOW did it jump this year.
    We're flying out of Toronto...and looked at Air Jamaica for the first time (usually fly AC or Westjet)...1/2 the price of Canadian Carriers, however; they fly YYZ to KIN then on to MBJ.
    A couple of questions...anyone ever flown them from Toronto? and also I assume we have to clear customs/immigration in Kingston rather than Mo-Bay...connection time is only 1 hr 15 min...are they speedier in Kingston than our usual MBJ landing??
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

I have been to Kingston and they are just as slow there. When we were there you had to walk up a flight of steps to even get on the plane. The airport is a shit hole but they are trying to upgrade it.
    Alice & Lewis

Hedo July 9-July 19-2014 with the Fluffernutters
    Hedo Dec 22-29-2012 with the Fluffernutters

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    Still a ways to go till we leave...but like Lewis and Alice we like getting our airfare in order WAY in advance (also always been the cheapest doing so)...but WOW did it jump this year.
    We're flying out of Toronto...and looked at Air Jamaica for the first time (usually fly AC or Westjet)...1/2 the price of Canadian Carriers, however; they fly YYZ to KIN then on to MBJ.
    A couple of questions...anyone ever flown them from Toronto? and also I assume we have to clear customs/immigration in Kingston rather than Mo-Bay...connection time is only 1 hr 15 min...are they speedier in Kingston than our usual MBJ landing??

Hello Sabina and Scott.

A little off topic but, check out www.hipmunk.com
    It is a great tool for finding cheap flights, pricing, shows routes, plans layovers plus a whole lot more.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    ScubaSteve Video

Rule #1) Never argue with an idiot. They pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    I have done that in the past from Toronto. I didn't make the connection as Air Jamaica was 3 hours late leaving Toronto. Stick with Air Canada or WestJet and fly directly to Mo Bay. It may be a bit more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

I also agree with Lewis & Alice, calling the airport is shit hole is Kingston is being polite.

We have flown Air Jamaica from Ft Lauderdale, yes we had to STOP in Kingston, only those going to Kingston got off the plane, they added a few passengers and then we continued on to MoBay where we cleared customs....seemed alittle odd to us at first, but it worked out just fine.
    H2 - June 21-26, 2011
    H3 - June 12-17, 2010
    H3 - Oct 2009
    H3 - Mar 2007

Odd with this airline seems right....we'd have to find an alternative for the return flight as it has 2 layovers...they figure the best way to get us back to Toronto is Mo Bay to JFK (3 hr layover) JFK to Kingston JA (4 hour layover) then Kingston to Toronto. If direct isn't possible, then I'd think picking up something in New York would be easier than flying all the way back to Jamaica...Same price though so go figure.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

Registered User Allan_Elizabeth's Avatar
    Sabina and Scott, have you checked out Spirit Air, they fly our of Niagra falls NY. Flight has weird times but is very cheap, it leaves for fla at 1:55am. you go to Fort Lauderdale and then a layover for a few offers than to Mobay. Last time I looked we could fly for under $600 for both of us. We decided to stick with WestJet, eliminates the drive (we are only 15mins from the airport in To) and I really don't like having to get on and off the planes. Remember WEst Jet has their sales Tuesday and Thursdays.

Next trip Dec 15 - 21 2019

Hi Allen: We flew Spirit out from Atl to MJB, ONCE !!!, yes it is cheap!!! BUT !!! when I have a few hours, I'm going to write a report on our experience !

This past year was supposed to be our last trip for a while (new house and mortgage and the babysitters - parents - getting older), but the DIF is setting in bad.

i was just looking at prices today, and was thinking the same as you Scott, I am also wondering about AJ to Kingston, then TimAir direct to Negril.

I will probably submit a price request to TimAir and get that price.

the funny thing is AJ charges the same price for TO to Kingston, as they do TO to Montego Bay

Not sure if we will be going, but if we get the right prices, and a good tax return, then just maybe we can make it.
    The more you drink the less you need your pants

NYE 2016/2017 - H2
    February 2014 - H2
    October 2013 - H2
    November 2012 - H2
    February 2012 - H2
    NYE 2010/2011 - H2
    January 2010 - H2
    February 2009 - H3
    February 2008 - H3

We're pretty much down to WestJet...Just waiting to see if price goes down a bit..willing to take a gamble..Plus they still allow 2 bags, AC has limited us to one and we just can;t do one...lol. Have not heard good things with the Air Jam flight out of toronto after we asked...was late more often than on time. Also we do know people that took a helicopter from Kingston...nice trip but $900. If Timm air is $200 from MoBay...I would assume at least 4-5 from Kingston...curious to find out though. So TO to Mo Bay...a bit more money...but no layovers, no additional travel arrangements to be done...sometimes cheapest is not always best.
    But hope you can make it back as well!!
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019