Thread: Booby Cay Island

Booby Cay Island

We have been to hedo 2 many times however we have never rowed out to the little island. can anyone give us alittle insight on how long it takes and if its worth rowing out to. Also is this where you can get lobsters for lunch. we are leaving in 23 days and would love some info from people who have actually gone there. thanks. cant wait to get home!!
    "If you have to think about it just do it" :

K & S

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What is the best way to get out there? Doubt they'll let me sail a sunfish out and hang-out with their boat. What's the going rate for spiney lobsters? 30 days and counting...
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

We took a sea kayak over. It is an easy 10 minute paddle with moderate boat traffic.

Grilled lobsters are available (in season), $20ish. We skipped this as I sport a serious jerk chicken addiction.
    Is it worth the paddle over? Sure. It is a fresh perspective and a quick adventure. We walked about the island, decided it would be the perfect outpost for a Krispy Kreme and concluded our conference. All-in-all, we were gone about an hour. You would be hard-pressed to spend a copious amount of time there...unless you harbor some curious Gilligan's Island fantasies. Then, clear your schedule and fire up the coconut DirecTv dish.

Have fun!

i loved gilligans island. so then its a cool place to have a little secluded action then?
    "If you have to think about it just do it" :

K & S

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    $20 for lobster is pricey. These are spiney and run about a 3/8 to 1/2 lb. tails. Used to get them for $6 ea. when they would grill them at the nude grill.

You get these sea kayaks from Hedo?
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

What island are ya all talking about? The little one you can see from the nude beach area??

I thought the island was off limits for awhile and was over run with cats. Way back when Hedo use to have an Island party once a week on the island. Boats would come back with people unable to walk. Hedo staff and friends would dump the people onto beach chairs and let them stay there til they got sober.
    First trip to Hedo II.....1986
    First couple tossed out of the Grand Lideo..opening week

Quote Originally Posted by Hedobill View Post
    I thought the island was off limits for awhile and was over run with cats. Way back when Hedo use to have an Island party once a week on the island. Boats would come back with people unable to walk. Hedo staff and friends would dump the people onto beach chairs and let them stay there til they got sober.
    HedoBill
    I think I will just stay at the resort...lol

You can buy spiny lobster cooked from a guy on the beach for $6 per. Not sure why I would want to go to an island populated by cats. There are enough at Hedo itself! lol

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hedobill View Post

Island party eh. Wow that accually sounds like a riot. To bad they dont do something like that anymore. Just sounds very adventurous !! Slip away to a secluded, exotic island with a bunch of hedonists running around !

Latter part of October lobster could be had 2 for $30 from the guy on the rock jetties. We walked to Office of Nature thinking they would be cheaper and they wanted $20 each for dead ones with flies blowing them. We walked away expecting a ..wait..wait..we will sell for "x" but nothing and we probably wouldn't have judging from the carcasses we saw. Granted we later learned the season was "closed". Anyway we plan to return in March and if they are $6 for live ones on the jetties we will be eating that instead of the stuff we had in the main mess hall.

lobster

We went to Booby Cay last year. The lobsters were $10.00. We rode in a boat over there. The boat was set up by a guy at the water sports area. The guy doing the cooking was a guy named Fireman. These were the best lobsters we have had in a very long time. The boat was $5.00 per person. They were wiggling on the fire pit, it don't get any fresher than that. Fireman will take a count when your group gets there and then they go in the ocean and get them. Order an extra one, your are going to want it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by booboo2; 12-05-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Lobster

More pics of Booby Cay.
    Attached Images Attached Images