Thread: H2 Trip Sept '10

H2 Trip Sept '10

Just got back from a decent week at H2. Here's the run down...

Transportation - TimAir from MBJ to Negril is certainly worth the price - was $218 for 2 of us and took 15 minutes tops and left from main terminal and arrived basically across the street from the resort. Got 2 offers for pharmaceuticals at the Negril airport within minutes of landing. Took bus back since there was a fixed time we needed to be there but the flight (US Air) was delayed by almost 3 hours. Ugh.

Resort - everyone knows this isn't a 4 star place - the crowd was about half what it has been - I'd say they're probably barely hanging on financially as is much of Jamaica - many resorts on the way looked deserted with tall grass and few if any guests though this varied. Not surprised they had to close h3 if this was the combined crowed for H2 and H3 visitors. Hard to know how much of the down crowd is the economy and how much is safety concerns with the recent problems in Kingston but again who can say if they'll be open next year if things don't improve

Staff and entertainment - very good on both counts

pools - dirty water - was cloudy in all pools - even in the rarely used prude pools. They do sell chemicals for this - they should buy some.

we had fun and will likely come back - not sure when - this was our 3rd trip. Of the 4 others on the bus back to the airport none were going to come back but I didn't hear much in the way of specifics as to why.

food - terrible - literally had to use a steak knife to cut the waffles - could have hammered nails with them. The meat quality was poor. The pasta bar was good. Seems that a small extra expenditure in this area could make a big difference but I'm no expert on their acquisition costs.

other guests? too many single guys and a few were like stalkers including a roughly 400 lbs guy that would walk up to every PDA he could find and stand about 3 feet away staring day or night. Amazing. Most of course were very friendly and fun.

disco - needs a DJ upgrade - No music variety -all reggeaton and not very good - most people stayed away as usual and not much participation on costumes but there was some.

piano bar - very nice.

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The food sucking isn't unusual. I've learned to pick and choose. Charlie's omlettes & Jerk chicken are dependable staples.

Clueless single guys can make themselves a pain in the ass. Lurkers, sit your dumb ass down at a respectful distance and be invisable.

The month of September is possibly the worst weather and lowest tourist travel time of year. I wouldn't waste my money going before November 1st and nor after May 1st. JMHO The peak is December-March.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Its a shame to hear that your report of your trip had rough spots... we just got back from H2 at the start of September...

The food, as mentioned, varies and it becomes a bit of a hunt to find things that suit your palate.
    As for PDA's... if you are being watched, you never get to say who is doing the watching.. so that needs to be taken with a grain of salt, IMO.

I hope you still decide to return... perhaps for Xmas <-> NYE ... our next visit.

I expect we'll be back. Each trip has its ups and downs. It's hard to match the vibe and the people and the staff in spite of the other limitations. I just hope they don't cheap down so much they close H2 like H3. Last sept there were far more there but again this seems to affect all the J properties as if you're not going to Hedo why go to Jamaica at all - there are certainly nicer islands and resorts available elsewhere. I'll be interested to hear about the new place when it opens in November as it might be worth a shot but who wants to be first?