Thread: Nick and Kitty's 2010 AWOL Trip Report

Nick and Kitty's 2010 AWOL Trip Report

Wow. Just wow. We knew that with the pending closure of H3 that this trip would be awesome but honestly we did not know how much the folks that make up AWOL would come through and make it so truly memorable on a scale that went beyond our little group and became something for the whole resort. As in years past I find it easiest to break it down by categories rather than writing a narrative that I find I have to keep going back over and over to get right, so…. by the bullet points:
    The flight: San Diego to Charlotte, Charlotte to MBJ via US Airways. This was our first time flying US Airways. The rate was just OK, but there was no entertainment whatsoever on any of the flights and we actually found that some of the flight attendants were somewhat surly toward other employees and even a passenger or two (though we were treated fine). It was a little weird to see them arguing amongst themselves while doing a beverage service. For the first time we spent nearly $100 RT for luggage too- what a scam!
    Arrival 7/29: Off the plane and through customs no problem. Got to the superclubs lounge and broke out Kitty’s bottle of Tuscan Lemonade, my bottle of Capt Morgan, and our insulated cups. I went in search of 7-up for her and diet pepsi for me and when I got back to the lounge Tim and Trish and Greg and Tanya had arrived. This being the first time we met we made quick hugs and introductions and were soon out to the buses for our last trip “home”. Having chatted with them all a few times before the trip it was a fast friendship. Once on the bus the beverages were shared (750 ml capt and 1.75 of the Tuscan lemonade did not make it to the resort). We actually made a patty stop courtesy of our driver in Falmouth (by request) and listened to great music via T/T/T/G’s ipod boom box along the way. The girls were dancing and there were even a body shot or two prior to arrival. The ride went fast and I am sure we kept the 2 breezes guests well entertained with the party going on at the back of the bus. We were all well buzzed on arrival where we were met in the lobby by some of our AWOL family.
    Home: Rick and Ivy, Brad and Elaine, and Shawn and Ang were waiting for us in the lobby on arrival- I believe there were a couple other AWOL’ers there as well but my mind is a little fuzzy in its recollection at this point. It is always such an awesome feeling to see friends waiting for you when you get there. We spent the rest of the day and all day Friday drinking eating and hanging out in the nude pool. There were some arrivals throughout Friday which meant we also spent a decent amount of time meeting buses throughout the day.
    Saturday: Arrival day. We spent most of the day in the lobby- from 10 to 6 or so, meeting buses, shuttles, and limos as the AWOL’ers arrived. It is always a great day seeing new friends and old and the looks on their faces as we meet them. We also could not help ourselves and managed to bring drinks for folks from other groups too. We seldom pass up an opportunity to share drinks with anyone! The woowoo pitcher seemed to work very well! One surprise for all was when Moe (from LV, of Hedo’s Mojo) arrived for a brief stay.
    From here the week blends together, so here come the basic breakdowns.
    Weather: HOT! Even some of the staff commented on how it was warmer than normal. This cut in to the disco activity but definitely boosted the late night attendance at the nude pool.
    Sex Police: nonexistent- no enforcement of anything at any time- nude, quad, whatever. Wide open, even with many locals arriving.
    Rooms: 716- same room every year. No problems with hot water, the AC, TV, or anything. Our room attendant Fiona was the same for the last several years as well and it was a joy to see her as well. We had the connecting room to Rick and Ivy and as always it was nice to be able to walk through to talk to them at our whim. Not sure how we are going to work it next year as there are no suites with connecting rooms at H2.
    Pools: Spent more time in the quad than normal this year- lots of AWOL’ers there. Thanks to Bacon boy and Trish, and Blind Guy and Tanya for bringing the game supplies. Flip cup and beer pong (yes I got beat by a blind guy) were a blast. I bet the pussy fountain has never been turned off for flip cup before- and those games of 18 people rocked! The nude pool was great except for one unfortunate incident involving an extremely rude guest who threw the volleyball in the ocean. Calm heads did prevail (thank you Tracy) and none of the assembled volleyball crowd threw a punch or ended up in Jamaican jail. John and Serena were great, and the water quality was decent every day. We have been told that Serena will be at H2 next year for our week- it would not be JA without her. Nights at the nude pool were rocking- definite party atmosphere and bigger crowds there than we have ever seen at night- and even once or twice more than during the day. AWOL represented well and it was just a great time. Lots of shots, lots of laughs, and on GLOW night the tree next to the hot tub had a couple hundred glow necklaces on it- Webmistress Michelle took pictures so look for them on the hedonism website.
    Food: The buffet seemed better this year than I remember- the jerk chicken wings were awesome. Only had breakfast one day and it was pretty good. No complaints on the buffet at all.
    Munahana- as we remembered- the food was good, the company great, and the service was as always enjoyable.
    Martino’s- when the AC worked it was great- the food selection was good- the beef was great- and the service did not seem to suffer a drop off with the impending closure. Our only complaint was that the Caesar salad station did not have bacon (something we looked forward to but was not there in our 3 visits to the restaurant).
    Nude Grill- great as always. It’s funny how everyone knows Chef John does his job very well and very meticulously, sometimes at the expense of expediency- but somehow on his day off they bring in 2 people to do his job…. Strange.
    Reggae Café- Excellent selection all week. The soups were delicious and everything else was just fantastic. The only complaint we heard all week was the shortage of patties- often there was no beef. Rick and Ivy enjoyed the conch and pumpkin soup- said it was great.
    The “other” people: Got there Thursday and got to see the CTI folks heading out the gate to their cruise, then later that day and throughout Friday. Nice people run the group, and they seem to attract nice people as well. Great to see them. Met some other awesome folks during our week- S/M, R/J, T/C, (thanks for proving what a small small small world we live in!), and as always Ed and Laurie (hey Ed where’s my pitcher?) and their people- as we are winding down each year, and worn down from so many days straight, they always bring the energy back up on arrival. Thanks to our adoptees- we hope to see you guys next year if not sooner.
    AWOL Events-
    Sunset social/booze buffet was great even if some mook couldn’t keep his eyes from watering. Lovely setting and the two bartenders from the resort made it work. There are definitely blank spots in the tape on that night.
    NGE- fun as always- if there is one thing I am looking forward to for next year is having a cooler venue than the piano bar with the sun shining in the window for this event. Lots of awesome prizes and like Rick we are waiting for pictures of that mammoth gift in use as were promised!
    Nude Cruise- they seemed to have a good time, but as the credo goes you gotta go to know!- with the 100% chance of Kitty getting seasick we passed and stayed in the quad playing flipcup and beerpong all afternoon.
    Our awards function: Members of the year were Big T and a 4way tie for the 2nd one t/t/t/bg. More on that below. I will say that Kitty looked amazing in her princess dress .
    AWOL: Our peeps. There are not enough adjectives to describe the feelings we have knowing so many awesome people. We think it is just the most awesome thing that people who have travelled with us before go home and convince their friends to give hedo a try, and to go AWOL. If you don’t travel with us you probably don’t know, but we do a little award ceremony each year where we give back to some of our members as a thank you for travelling with us. Thanks to our contract with Castaways Travel and the generosity of them and the resort we are able to give away both cash and a comp for next year’s trip. By some luck we ended up with two comps and $800 to give away this year. Funny thing happened this year; both of the couples who won the comps approached us afterward and told us that they would be back next year and wanted us to keep an eye out for someone who may need a little help getting back there for AWOL 2011 at H2, who may need the comp we just gave them- sort of a scholarship fund. Nothing, to me, sums up the kind of attitude that seems so uniform among the people who make up AWOL. We have always preached it, BE NICE- and it seems to have stuck.
    Special thanks to A/S for the coffin, to Meg for keeping an eye out for Erica (R.I.P. Phil), to S/M and J/J for letting us be a part of your weddings (you all looked amazing btw, and far too clothed!), to MaterBob for being the official AWOL Photographer, to Jamey and Leslie for the dogtag “cleavage savers” and other welcome bag goodies, HUGE thanks to Curtis for the dogtags, and finally to Wilson who gave his life upon the H3 funeral pyre.
    Our cohosts:
    To Rick and Ivy- your force of will has made this group what it is. While time passes and we do not talk every day sometimes, you are still our most dear friends and we are thankful every day for having such kind and awesome people in our lives. Ivy, the sight of you dancing to AC/DC in the pool is something that is both a huge highlight for us from this year’s trip as well as something I will remember for a very long time. You broke the damn pole… now THAT is hardcore! We look forward to seeing where this venture continues to take us.
    To B and E- your energy and personalities bring a new dimension to the group and every trip is better because you guys are there. You guys rock and we are so glad you two are a part of this group.
    To hedo: There is nowhere we go where the feeling of absolute relaxation is so complete. The liberation of a place where all things good are possible and even likely on a good day is something that we miss and crave all year. Whether it be the location or the physical portion of the resort, you make your employees expose the caring, kind, and lovely people that they are. As much as we always say hedo is about the people, the same goes for the staff. Serena, Ionie, Kadian, Chef John, Fiona, Webmistress Michelle, Chef Joseph, Mr Parrish, and so many more, you made this place even more magical than we thought it could be. With the changes occurring we hope you all land on your feet and find nothing but success in the years ahead.
    I guess that about sums it up. Until we see you all in the lobby for AWOL 2011 Devastated but Relocated….
    TO WHORES!
    Nick (and the... well, you know....my everything, Kitty)
    Last edited by NickandKitty; 08-27-2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by NickandKitty View Post
    Sex Police: nonexistent- no enforcement of anything at any time- nude, quad, whatever.
    We agree....MUCH more "activity" than last year....especially during the day. Who can forget the non-AWOL "book reader" woman being serviced by her man in the pool while she continued flipping pages. She was commended by one of our group for meritorious (if not ridiculous) concentration on her novel.

I think S just wanted to know what book she was reading... must have been a great story!
    Nick (and the too engaged to be reading at a time like that Kitty)tm
    Nick and Kitty
    Desire Pearl- September 9-17, 2015

H3 July 2004/2005/2006 August 2007/2008/2009/2010
    H2 July 2007 July/August 2011 July/August 2012
    Temptation Cancun July 2013
    NickandKitty on Facebook