Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurants Near H2

Restaurants Near H2

Hey everyone,

We are Jerk Chicken ADDICTS and were able to find our way to Scotchies when we were at H3, but don't really know where to start in Negril. We know about Rick's, but would love suggestions for other places. Is there anything within walking distance of the resort for some good jerk? What about lobster? (We'll be the in late September, which I understand is lobster season...but we've heard some bad stories.)

Thanks!!!!

Jerk chicken is plentiful at snack shack by the nude pool. As for lobster, there are usually guys on jet skis selling those by the nude beach. Since people buy them there must be a way to get them cooked

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandErin View Post
    Hey everyone,

We are Jerk Chicken ADDICTS and were able to find our way to Scotchies when we were at H3, but don't really know where to start in Negril. We know about Rick's, but would love suggestions for other places. Is there anything within walking distance of the resort for some good jerk? What about lobster? (We'll be the in late September, which I understand is lobster season...but we've heard some bad stories.)

Thanks!!!!
    Check out the Negril map on
    www.negrilinfo.com

Jerk chicken is AWESOME at Best in the West. It's right across from Coco LaPalm.. **Drool**
    Also nice and HOT HOT HOT at Bourbon Beach...
    Only time I had bad lobster was in a pasta dish cuz it was frozen. yucka.. But the grilled lobsters at Jus Natural, and 3 Dives are soooooooo good.
    Ricks is over priced.. And just eh..
    LTU pub next to Ricks is really good too.
    Ahhhh so many great places to eat in Negril..
    Is it March yet???
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by BostonMel; 07-21-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/BostonMel/random%20board%20crap/crazyph.gif

www.crzyphckers.com

Can't wait to get home!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hey everyone,

Thanks!!!!
    There really isn't anything within walking distance to Hedo II. You would need to take a cab in to Negril. The jerk chicken at the nude grill is excellent, but it is somewhat "Americanized" in that it is not as spicey as many like Jerk chicken to be. It is lobster season in Jamaica in September (the closed season for lobster in Jamaica is 4/1-6/30).

I was actually going to post a question about lobster, but this seems like a good place to ask it. Can anyone tell us the best place to get lobster near Hedo? I know you can arrange through the Watersports guys for a boat to take you around the point to Office of Nature, but I understand there are two Office of Nature restaurants, one older and one newer and that one is better than the other. I also understand there is a very good place over that way to, but I don't know the name of it. Last August we got as far as arranging for the boat, but a heavy shower came right at the time we were supposed to leave so we canceled the trip since a boat ride in a small open boat in heavy rain didn't sound very appealing. We love lobster, but not that much!
    8/9/11 to 8/21/11 SOON COME, BUT NOT SOON ENOUGH!!! Kitten & Angel's Spring Fling 4/5/12 to 4/14/12

We enjoy walking the beach in Negril and we found a place called Cosmos. It is a fun little restaurant that we have had lunch at. We would recommend it. It is 1/2 hour walk.

Love Cosmos for fish... mmmm
    and a yummy drink. Their beach is nice to chill at too.
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/BostonMel/random%20board%20crap/crazyph.gif

www.crzyphckers.com

Can't wait to get home!!!!!

I have a great lobster place…you take a kayak from the watersports shack and kayak about 5 minutes to the right where you see a little tiny island from the Hedo 2 beach. You park your little kayaks and there are 2-3 dudes sitting there. They are so nice and they say “WELCOME TO LOBSTER ISLAND MON!” And they put a net in the water and come up with some huge awesome lobsters…you pick the one you want and they grill it right there for you with some butter and garlic and they serve it yo you with a piece of garlic bread. Or you can kayak back and they will bring it to you. They range from 10-15 bucks but man the whole lobster is like tail meat. It’s absolutely the best lobster I have ever had and it can’t get any fresher than that!

Forget about Rick's. It's for the tourists...not that that's a bad thing, but there are SO many wonderful restaurants in town...Rick's is definitely NOT one of them.

For jerk chicken...you cannot beat....Ossie's. Ossie's is a little jerk shack on the opposite side of the road as Hedo (Norman Manley Blvd) ... it's down around Firefly or thereabouts. Any taxi can take you there. It's where the locals go and super yummy. Their hot sauce is HOT HOT HOT.

For lobster....so many great places....If we're talking the beach, we really like Kuyaba (they'll pick you up & bring you back to Hedo for a small fee on the return...just a tip on the way over (or at least they used to...check their website). It's a great location on the beach and the food is consistently good. Cosmo's is nice too....arguably my favorite spot on the beach...it's so gorgeous!

We prefer most of the restaurants on the cliffs though for great eating and ambiance. Xtabi has slow service, great drinks and super food. Their conch burger at lunch is fabulous! (I believe Xtabi will also come pick you up too). Rockhouse is VERY romantic, has some imaginative dinner entrees, higher priced, but the ambiance is worth it in the evening (great drinks!). Catcha Falling Star has a lovely new restaurant....we especially like it for lunch because the seaview is so nice (we used to stay there back when it was a smaller place and more privacy...sigh). Great food at Catcha, great drinks! We also like the LTU Pub...which is more grungy than all the others, but an established place in town for all the ex-pats and a favorite of ours....well, just because. Some have raved about 3-Dives for lobster...but the couple of times we went there it was nothing special (though it has the local flavor for sure and a great spot next to Xtabi).

As an aside, if you're ever hankering for an Ital meal (vegetarian Jamaican), then The Hungry Lion on the cliffs is THE place....I love that place so much. A small but lovely menu, very romantic, but not overlooking the water. The make the best Ting-tini's ever! Call to be sure it is open though as it has very seasonal hours.

Okay...so our favorite for lobster??? Would likely be Xtabi!!

Have fun!

Liz
    Liz & Chris

I've heard 3 Dives has good jerk too - It was on our list to visit on the last trip but didn't quite make it

We had some excellent curried conch at a little roadside place in Little London run by a guy named "Chef" - not close by but if you're doing a car trip it's worth the stop. Devon in watersports can help you out with info.

We'll have to check out Ossie's on our next trip as per Liz's recommendation
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there's a field. I'll meet you there."

Quote Originally Posted by CandG View Post
    There really isn't anything within walking distance to Hedo II. You would need to take a cab in to Negril. The jerk chicken at the nude grill is excellent, but it is somewhat "Americanized" in that it is not as spicey as many like Jerk chicken to be. It is lobster season in Jamaica in September (the closed season for lobster in Jamaica is 4/1-6/30).
    I agree, the jerk chicken at the nude grill is very mild and lacks flavour. Don't get me wrong, i love it, but I wouldn't call it Jerk Chicken, its just grilled chicken.

I find it a little strange because I have had real authentic jerk chicken at other superclubs resorts in Jamaica (Grand Lido Sans Souci) so i know it can be done, and that the resort guests will eat it.
    The more you drink the less you need your pants

NYE 2016/2017 - H2
    February 2014 - H2
    October 2013 - H2
    November 2012 - H2
    February 2012 - H2
    NYE 2010/2011 - H2
    January 2010 - H2
    February 2009 - H3
    February 2008 - H3

3 Dives is great.... we ate there last aug and everthing we ordered rocked..... cold beer and sunset on the cliff. We even got a bottle of sauce to go.

Thank you all so much for all the great ideas! While we love mostly everything about Hedo, the food is not exactly what we're looking for. Though, you will never catch me knocking the late night pizza or the late late night burgers. It definitely sounds like Ossie's is on the list, nothing like really hot jerk. Xtabi sounds killer too. Lobster Island?!?! Wow. Going to have to give that a whirl. We've never been to Rick's, but by the sound of it, we might scratch it...or just tag along with a group. Damn...not I'm hungry. Is it Sept. 18th yet???

Is it Sept. 18th yet???
    51 days! We would love to check out lobster island too! See ya'll there!
    [

Yes... Thanks for the tips!

NB

This is a great thread with lots of information. We are headed back to H2, week 4 Jan 2011 but not before we stay at Xtabi for 3 days. We picked Xtabi quite by accident - we thought it looked really cool! lol Now we have continually read here and elsewhere what a great place it is. We will definitely keep the Conch Burger in mind for lunch one day but we also want to try 3 Dives and so many more.....good job we'll get lots of 'exercise' at Hedo!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast