View Poll Results: How would you rate Castaways travel?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • best

29 60.42%
  • no opinion or never used

8 16.67%
  • prefer other agent

7 14.58%
  • would never use or refer other to use

4 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castaways travel, anyone else had a problem?

Castaways travel, anyone else had a problem?

this is an email we sent to Castaways,

"Castaways travel,
    I had to pay for luggage both ways and our seats, and we are not sitting together, and the seats together we could get are in the back of the plane. We thought using an experienced travel agent would make this easier even though the flight cost us several hundred dollars more and the room was also almost double the current rate. I am losing confidence in this whole trip, is our hotel room confirmed?

please give me a call. I would like to
    know why our seats we're not booked when I was charged, and why I am
    paying for all this now. If we hadn't
    checked we would have no seat (that
    was stated by the airways agent we
    called)
    *update below
    Finally worked most of this out, yes you must pay per bag with the airline 1 carry on is all that is included. The seats where an error, yes they should be assigned by the agent, they did get my money for the seats refunded, we are now sitting with a person between us on one flight only, although on the other flights we probably wouldn't be in the back if the agent had picked them when available. So really the only problems where not telling us about the baggage fee, no big deal, and not getting us seats when they where first able to pick them. I'll post more after the trip. Thanks to Alma for all her help.
    Last edited by hedo3prudes; 07-23-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Update

We book with an agent that is on site the week we go. They do it a few times a year. You want great service, competitive pricing and no worries, let us know and we will hook you up. A good agent will develop a relationship with you so you are not just an account number. It sounds like you need a good agent.
    Rob & Jo

Hedo II Nov. 8-17 2012
    Hedo II Nov. 11-19 2011
    Hedo II Nov. 11-20 2010
    Hedo II Nov. 13-21 2009
    Hedo II Nov. 4-22 2008
    Hedo II Nov. 10-17 2007
    Hedo II Nov. 11-18 2006
    Hedo II Nov. 12-19 2005
    Hedo III Nov. 13-20 2004

We're to close to the fly date,either they make it right or we can't go.
    All I ask for is they plan the trip, like make sure we have a room, our flights are right, and we can take baggage.
    Have never had a problem before and we travel a lot, normally use another agent, used Castaways as they where recommended by the group we are traveling with.Hoping they make it all right.
    Last edited by hedo3prudes; 07-20-2010 at 10:44 PM.

We tried to use them once. Didn't really get a good vibe from them and felt like they were just quickly handling us didn't have the time for us or whatever. We got a quote from them, compared it to the people we used the year before and we went back to them again, since our agent took the time to look up a better cheaper flight, and oddly work a better deal with H3. Unfortunately, to us, if you need attention, castaways is probably not the place for you.

We hear people use them all the time and it works just fine. Maybe we're high maintenance travelers, but we like having a 24/7 toll free number to call and our agent picks up or one of the others there can help... not to mention they don't mind our what if we could do this flight, and they know how to have a pleasant conversation while its all going on so we get the warm fuzzy happy traveler feeling.

Hedo II - 20 - 27 July 2011 - Hedo II, The Naughty Side.
    Hedo III - 24 - 31 July 2010 - Hedo III, Part Deux.
    Hedo III - 26 - 31 July 2009 - Popping our Hedo Cherry.

We've used them a few times over the years with no problems at all. Though I've used a TA to book air. I'm not really understanding what your problem was, as the airline charges stuff seperately from a TA, but sorry you had a problem....that stinks. Hope it works out for you.
    Liz & Chris

We've booked 2 trips with them and have had no issues - sorry that you're running into them.

The one thing that we'll say about any travel agency - they may be able to get you a better room rate, but at this point we have yet to see any agency get better rates on airfaire than what you can get through sites like travelocity or orbitz. We've always found cheaper flights at more agreeable times if we research the flights ourselves.

Disclaimer - as far as the room rates go, the weeks we've booked with Castaways have been special group reserved rates that are the same / practically the same for any travel agent

Registered User shellysdoughboy's Avatar
    we have never had a problem , jenifer has taken good care of us on everything we have done with them . If its a flight thing American Airlines has good deals if you book them thru there site and no luggage fees for international flights , we just got back and they are our airline of choice .
    HEDO 2 NOVEMBER 13-21 , 2009
    HEDO 2 JULY 13-17,2010
    HEDO 2 NOVEMBER 10-21 , 2010

HEDO 2 MARCH 5-12 , 2011
    Hedo 2 November 9-20 , 2011 homeward bound !
    HEDO 2 MARCH 4 - 12 , 2012

FREEDOM OF THE SEAS NOV. 2012
    hedo2 july 28- aug. 3 2012
    jewel of the seas tamp 2013
    FREEDOM OF THE SEAS Nov. 2013

Brilliance of the seas Jan.27-Feb 1 -2014

hedo march 6-14 , miss no swim suit -2014
    Hedo March 7-14 , 2015 miss no swim suit
    Hedo March 2-12 , 2016 miss no swim suit

We've used Castaways for the last few Group Trips and have never had problems...with over 148 rooms booked through the group over the past 5 years, we've only had 1 person who's had a problem with them...Pretty good service record with less than 1% unhappy....they've always had our room requested ready and available when we got to Hedo., I'm sure they will respond and rectify your problems. We've found pricing to be competitive...especially under contracted group rates....Airlines we've always booked seperate and found our best flight ourselves...
    The airlines do usually require that you check in in advance, or take your chances at the airport on seat selection, I do kow that alot of airlines charge extra for pre-seat selection, and baggage allowance varies widely and sort of up to the consumer to be aware of extra charges if you're over. We'd be really interested to see the response, and how they treat you....
    Last edited by sabinaandscott; 07-22-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

OK, I have booked with Castaways for 5 of my 6 trips over the last 10 years and have never had but the best service. I have found them to be knowledgeable and prompt. We, too have also always traveled with a group so we have the group rate. Last year we were actually given a reduction when SC lowered the rate during a special sale.

As for air, most TA's don't even book it anymore as it has become to easy for the customer to do it themselves and for a lot cheaper.

At this point my suggestion would be to talk with the owners directly as we have found them great to deal with.

Shawn And the very Lovely Angie
    Hedo III
    July 28-Aug7,2010

we have used them a total of 15 times between Hedo 2 and Hedo 3, the first travel agent we used and teh only one we use...never any problems and always quick to respond.

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Thumbs down Castaways----The Buttaways!!! LOLOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by hedo3prudes View Post
    this is an email we sent to Castaways,

"Castaways travel,
    This is stressing us out. I have to say I am feeling very nervous about your agency.
    My wife is actually wanting to cancel the whole thing due to the lack of attention.
    Please give us a call and make all this stuff right. Our trust in Castaways is broken.
    Do you think they forgot to get the poolside room we wanted too?
    Any other items we should have them verify?
    We went with paying more to book with Castaways as others said we would have a great trip and they would make sure everything was perfect. guess not.Maybe they will come though after all, we'll see.
    HedoPrudes,

People who know me on this site know I am NOT a fan of Castaways. After many trips to HIII (booked through another agency), I was approached to join a group that was using Castaways (this was in 2008) over the timeframe I was going. I joined and booked through them. Nightmare from the beginning. I personally think they are the rudest (Jennifer, especially, who is the Manager), most unprofessional TA around. ALOT of the Groups on this site use them. Actually, if it was not for the groups, I find it hard to believe they would be in business. And, please, their "so-called" contracted group rates are a joke-----VERY high. I rec'd a quote from them for NYE (H2) this year and it was the highest of the three major TA's that book with the Hedo's.

So no, it is NOT just you guys who have had issues w/ Castaways. Feel free to PM me if you want. At this point, just get to Hedo and enjoy, relax, partay........it's all good! Just know you have learned a lesson and won't repeat it! Cheers!

P.S. For my fellow friends who use Castaways (Buttaways---oops---lmfao), bring it on! LOLOLOLOLOL....I can't wait to hear from you all and know I still luv ya!!

Le Ann

"Life is Too Short.....Party and Dance Naked!"

Blog Entries
    We've pretty much have exclusively booked with Castaways since 2000, and really have had no issues with rooms. But like others have stated we get our own flights now because we find better deals. I, however do NOT talk to anyone at Castaways, the one time I did, she (Jennifer) was short, and rather rude so I told my husband, if you wanna use them YOU have to deal with them because I won't. He of course has no problem with them and so he maintains that relationship. However I did meet the owners of Castaways and they are GREAT people nice and lots of fun!!
    Next: H2 - Nov 5 - Nov 14 2015 Dirty Perv
    H2 – 5- 24 - 5-28-14
    H2 – 10 24 - Nov. 2 '14
    Desire - RM&Pearl – 6-26 - 7-2-14
    H2 – LVD 11 8 - 16, 2013
    H2 – Jul 22 - 31, '12
    H2 - Dec 5 - 11, '11
    H2 - Jul 22 - 29, '11
    H2 - May 28 - Jun 4 '11
    H2 - LVD Fest - Nov 13 - 20, '10
    H3 - Jul 23 - 26 '10
    H2 - May 29 - Jun 5 - '10
    H2 - LVD - Nov '09
    Gr. Lido & H2 May 2009 Wedding&Hnymoon
    H2 July - '06: H2 - Oct '07: H2 - May '08

all is well
    Last edited by hedo3prudes; 07-23-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Air travel is broken these days. Bag fees are now the norm. I would expect a TA to let you know they are going to occur, but I'm not sure a TA can prepay them at all. Do they (or you) know in advance how many bags you'll be carrying? If you are traveling by air you are going to have to pay to check a bag (except Southwest, some international, and perks due to credit cards, etc.) So, I would not blame them for that. As for the seating, that, again, is something the airlines control. The earlier you book, the less likely the seats will even be assigned these days. The airlines are packing planes these days (I'm expecting a special overhead bin rate pretty soon) and often it's impossible to get everyone together who are on the same reservation, especially for vacation trips. Just about every flight I've been on lately has seen shuffling just to get families together. So, I don't know that I would blame Castaways for that issue, either.

I've not used Castaways, though I appreciate their web site. I've used DennyP a few times because he gets discounts others don't get and because he's just a darn nice guy and his web site is a service that deserves some compensation. But, mostly I'm going to book myself. Our last Hedo III trip was done on Expedia and was over $400 cheaper than anywhere else (air and hotel together). You really have to shop around these days to get the best deal.

How come the Poll only has one positive to click, either its the best or nothing.
    Co-Hosts of kitten + angel's 15th Annual Spring Fling April 9th - 16th, 2022 (We will be onsite 4/7/22 - 4/18/22) http://www.kittennangel.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast