Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Back, Mini Trip Report.

Just Back, Mini Trip Report.

Hi all

Just got back this morning after an 8 night stay. When we booked this trip we weren't sure if we could handle more than 7 nights because in the past 3 trips we were pretty partied out by the last day and ready to return to the "real world". Well, as it turns out, this was by far our best trip and we could easily have done another week. This was our second year with the Wild Bunch and we really felt like we bonded with the returning members, so that was certainly a big part of it. We also met plenty of other fantastic people who were not travelling with the group. I don't know if it was our increasing "comfort" in this lifestyle, the perfect mix of people, or a combination of both that made it so good, but we're both very happy with our decision to return.

With the above said, what you did not hear me talk about was how fantastic the resort is - and for good reason. As good as the social environment was this time, the resort itself is slipping big time. With the notable exception of John at the nude grill, the food and service is going downhill quickly. As for the "bricks and mortar" of the hotel, even less works now than last time. It appears that they are simply waiting until August rolls around to really do anything to keep the place up. That said, my air conditioning always worked and so did the hot water - always a crapshoot with this place. The impending closure/rebranding was addressed both by Lance at the Returners Party (he said that all rocks will be transported to H2, BTW) and by many of the general staff all week. Many of our favorites are gone, most are looking for new work, but some are going to stay on with the "new" resort. Those that are going to stay on are going to have a tough time making it for the 2 months without pay. A last bit of disapointment was the weather, which brought rain most every afternoon. We even saw one day with all day rain until the last 5 minutes at sunset, so we lost our "rain day" voucher (but got our traditional sunset in the nude hot tub).

So anyway, as has been said many times before, Hedo is about the people you meet, not the hotel. The hotel is going to hell, but as long as H2 stays open, I'm fine with that. I'm ready to book today.
    Mikey and Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
    Hi all

Just got back this morning after an 8 night stay. When we booked this trip we weren't sure if we could handle more than 7 nights because in the past 3 trips we were pretty partied out by the last day and ready to return to the "real world". Well, as it turns out, this was by far our best trip and we could easily have done another week. This was our second year with the Wild Bunch and we really felt like we bonded with the returning members, so that was certainly a big part of it. We also met plenty of other fantastic people who were not travelling with the group. I don't know if it was our increasing "comfort" in this lifestyle, the perfect mix of people, or a combination of both that made it so good, but we're both very happy with our decision to return.

With the above said, what you did not hear me talk about was how fantastic the resort is - and for good reason. As good as the social environment was this time, the resort itself is slipping big time. With the notable exception of John at the nude grill, the food and service is going downhill quickly. As for the "bricks and mortar" of the hotel, even less works now than last time. It appears that they are simply waiting until August rolls around to really do anything to keep the place up. That said, my air conditioning always worked and so did the hot water - always a crapshoot with this place. The impending closure/rebranding was addressed both by Lance at the Returners Party (he said that all rocks will be transported to H2, BTW) and by many of the general staff all week. Many of our favorites are gone, most are looking for new work, but some are going to stay on with the "new" resort. Those that are going to stay on are going to have a tough time making it for the 2 months without pay. A last bit of disapointment was the weather, which brought rain most every afternoon. We even saw one day with all day rain until the last 5 minutes at sunset, so we lost our "rain day" voucher (but got our traditional sunset in the nude hot tub).

So anyway, as has been said many times before, Hedo is about the people you meet, not the hotel. The hotel is going to hell, but as long as H2 stays open, I'm fine with that. I'm ready to book today.
    Thank you for the trip report. Glad you have a good time.

Thanks VERY much for the report-
    Was worried about 'short-timers-syndrome'- sad to find out my hunch was spot-on.

Glad it's the guests that make Hedo

18 days!!!!

Thank you for the trip report. We appreciate it.

NB

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dwellers View Post
    Hi all

Michael & Diane,

Rachel & I were not happy that we weren't going to be able to make it back to H3 with the Wild Bunch this May. We were even more upset when we learned that H3 was going to be closing before we could make a return trip. However, you're right that the group makes it's own atmosphere. Being reminded of that we'll be happy to join the Wild Bunch again where ever they happen to land!

Jimmy~Rachel

I would have to agree with the findings. We got back about 10 days ago and it has gone down hill. The service was poor at best. The power was going out constantly. Food quality was bad in most of the cases and always running out at the Reggae Cafe. The best part was by far the Nude Grill and Bar. Service there is always top notch! Serena and John are the best. It was pretty disappointing and management seemed to not worry about the problems.

Sorry but it was reality on our trip. We loved it last year and didn't enjoy it so much this time around. We made the best of it but unfortunately I don't think we will return there or H2.

Quote Originally Posted by T&E View Post
    I would have to agree with the findings...
    Sorry you are not going to return. Our point was to illustrate that despite the hotel being the worst we have ever seen it, this was by far our best trip.

To all the newbies out there, it's ALL about the people...
    Mikey and Diane

I agree with Michael and Diane, we returned on May 3rd and although we had a good time, the food was the worst it has ever been and the facilities are falling apart. Service wasn't bad but the nude grill was awesome, as usual.

Nobody can compare to John at the Nude Grill.

HMMMMM, one has to wonder if it's the resort or the group you go with. You know who this is mike,I sit back and read some of the stuff you post and really wonder, really i do,what planet your from! We just got off the phone with staff members...some were on holiday as they call it.Most will be returning to the new resort,are they worried yes! Time will tell how this works out,you have not seen anything yet till you go to hedo2 [ducking from flying painted rocks] not trying to bash hedo 2 but we prefered hedo 3.Has the "wild bunch" matured any?or are they still throwing things at people from the roofs? [yes i said roofs they think it's funny] bad service at hedo 3? one has to wonder why? The yahoo group page states and i quote" hundreds of couples"my last check at the front desk was 22 couples.Now mind you you are going into uncharted territory at hedo2, your little group that you so diligently defended will have to compete with major groups that have been going over 25 years[200 plus couples] WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES! Some will consider this a rant or a rave it is not, just the truth, the staff at hedo3 can not stand your group......hence the bad service. Tell "wild walt&cheryl" that at hedo2 things work differently, oh and btw.....the "wild bunch" does not own halloween at hedo2 or even the trademark hedoween, as it does not exsit after aug 22nd. That being said I wish the best to you all and really hope you stop throwing things at people that you don't even know..........Mike&Shelly

Quote Originally Posted by southjerseypair View Post
    HMMMMM, one has to wonder if it's the resort or the group you go with. You know who this is mike,I sit back and read some of the stuff you post and really wonder, really i do,what planet your from! We just got off the phone with staff members...some were on holiday as they call it.Most will be returning to the new resort,are they worried yes! Time will tell how this works out,you have not seen anything yet till you go to hedo2 [ducking from flying painted rocks] not trying to bash hedo 2 but we prefered hedo 3.Has the "wild bunch" matured any?or are they still throwing things at people from the roofs? [yes i said roofs they think it's funny] bad service at hedo 3? one has to wonder why? The yahoo group page states and i quote" hundreds of couples"my last check at the front desk was 22 couples.Now mind you you are going into uncharted territory at hedo2, your little group that you so diligently defended will have to compete with major groups that have been going over 25 years[200 plus couples] WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES! Some will consider this a rant or a rave it is not, just the truth, the staff at hedo3 can not stand your group......hence the bad service. Tell "wild walt&cheryl" that at hedo2 things work differently, oh and btw.....the "wild bunch" does not own halloween at hedo2 or even the trademark hedoween, as it does not exsit after aug 22nd. That being said I wish the best to you all and really hope you stop throwing things at people that you don't even know..........Mike&Shelly
    Now what I was going to say when I forst read your post was...

"Jeez... nearly get hit by 1... O N E water balloon over a year ago and still you can't let it go? Ok, on behalf of all past, present and future Wild Bunch members I apologize that you NEARLY got hit with a water balloon."

But, I realize that is not the Hedo way, so I do sincerely apologize that the water balloons caused you grief. Personally, I've never taken part in throwing them but I view it as harmless fun. I can also recognize that others may not see it that way. Life is too short to hold a grudge and spend energy belittling others (the Wild Bunch members whom you probably have never taken the time to get to know). Like it or not we now all have to share H2 together. Personally, I'd rather do it with a red strip in one hand, a smile on my face while the warm Jamaican sun shines down on all of the amazing people that choose to call Hedo home (yourself included).

Jimmy~Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by southjerseypair View Post
    HMMMMM, one has to wonder if it's the resort or the group you go with. You know who this is mike,I sit back and read some of the stuff you post and really wonder, really i do,what planet your from...
    You have trouble letting things go, don't you? I thought you said you were done with the subject... A YEAR ago!

Have a drink, relax... Life's too short!
    Mikey and Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    There is a lot to be said about " You reap what you sow"...
    I do not expect five star. I do not snap my fingers impatiently. I smile and say "Thank you" to everyone who waits on me. But I have been there 4 years in a row, and it's slipping. It's not horrible, but it has degraded. Do you think this is impossible?

And I'm sure your next trip will be fine too.
    Mikey and Diane

Our experience...

I’ve been lurking around this site since my wife said to me to go check out Hedo back in January. Its been a great source of information and has been very helpful in planning our trip. So, thank you all for your insight. It helped us out immensely. So here is my attempt to pay back:

This was our first trip to Hedo (5/21- 5/26) and our first experience with an all inclusive resort, so we don’t have anything to compare the food or service to. Our impression of the food was that, well, at best, ok. For the most part, I found the food to be bland, but I passed that off as having to cook for the many pallets that come to Hedo. What’s not spicy to some may be too spicy for others and who wants to spend your vacation in the bathroom? We found the food tasted better the more hungry you were. We knew going in that the service would be slower than say back in the states, and so that wasn’t a surprise. The servers were polite and we made sure to return their kindness with “pleases” and “Thank yous”, as to not be one of those ugly Americans. Not once did we ever feel we were being mistreated by the staff because we were part of the “Wild Bunch”.

Which brings me to Mike&Shelly’s post earlier. I don’t know what this group did to you, and I don’t really want to know. You don’t have to justify your post to me. I’m confident that what ever the transgression, you feel it’s justified to warn the others, which is what this site is about. It just wasn’t our experience with them, which is just as valid an observation. (Yes, Walt almost hit me with a water balloon thrown from the roof. I didn’t think anything of it. I acknowledge that others might. It was all done in good fun, no malice was intended.)

For the newbies: To us, the best advice on this site is that when you go, to join a group. We joined the Wild Bunch and had the best time. Within minutes of arriving (hell, as soon as we got on the bus at the airport) we had friends, friends to share the experience of Hedo with. Instant friends to hang out with, party with, eat with and most of all, laugh with. If we wanted to be alone, and that was the case on occasion, we would pack up and go do our thing. No problems, mon. I imagine that would basically be the same with any group out there, not just the Wild Bunch. Wild Walt and Cheryl were very kind to us and great hosts. It was evident the amount of time and energy they put into making the week fun for everyone. I can’t thank them and the Wild Bunch enough for taking us under their wing and helping us experience Hedo 3 and all its decadence.

We just got to know H3, and miss her already….

Wild bunch rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Bash & Chole View Post
    I’ve been lurking around this site since my wife said to me to go check out Hedo back in January. Its been a great source of information and has been very helpful in planning our trip. So, thank you all for your insight. It helped us out immensely. So here is my attempt to pay back:

This was our first trip to Hedo (5/21- 5/26) and our first experience with an all inclusive resort, so we don’t have anything to compare the food or service to. Our impression of the food was that, well, at best, ok. For the most part, I found the food to be bland, but I passed that off as having to cook for the many pallets that come to Hedo. What’s not spicy to some may be too spicy for others and who wants to spend your vacation in the bathroom? We found the food tasted better the more hungry you were. We knew going in that the service would be slower than say back in the states, and so that wasn’t a surprise. The servers were polite and we made sure to return their kindness with “pleases” and “Thank yous”, as to not be one of those ugly Americans. Not once did we ever feel we were being mistreated by the staff because we were part of the “Wild Bunch”.

Which brings me to Mike&Shelly’s post earlier. I don’t know what this group did to you, and I don’t really want to know. You don’t have to justify your post to me. I’m confident that what ever the transgression, you feel it’s justified to warn the others, which is what this site is about. It just wasn’t our experience with them, which is just as valid an observation. (Yes, Walt almost hit me with a water balloon thrown from the roof. I didn’t think anything of it. I acknowledge that others might. It was all done in good fun, no malice was intended.)

For the newbies: To us, the best advice on this site is that when you go, to join a group. We joined the Wild Bunch and had the best time. Within minutes of arriving (hell, as soon as we got on the bus at the airport) we had friends, friends to share the experience of Hedo with. Instant friends to hang out with, party with, eat with and most of all, laugh with. If we wanted to be alone, and that was the case on occasion, we would pack up and go do our thing. No problems, mon. I imagine that would basically be the same with any group out there, not just the Wild Bunch. Wild Walt and Cheryl were very kind to us and great hosts. It was evident the amount of time and energy they put into making the week fun for everyone. I can’t thank them and the Wild Bunch enough for taking us under their wing and helping us experience Hedo 3 and all its decadence.

We just got to know H3, and miss her already….
    We are a couple that rocked with Wild Walt and the Wild Bunch for years and years until we moved to our little island in the Pacific.

They were an all inclusive group that broke us in to partying at Hedo III some ten years ago.

GREAT GROUP and great leadership.

Our pants are off to you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Many people are alive today only because its illegal to shoot them.

See u all at Hedonism II June 18 - 25, 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast