Thread: Do cell phones work in Jamaica

Do cell phones work in Jamaica

Do cell phones work in Jamaica - we are on verizon.

We used ours 2 years ago when our son was in transit to Iraq and my wife and he texed each other often.
    Last edited by critter2; 07-30-2008 at 02:21 PM.
    critter2
    Delroy's,last trip was Nov.22nd-26th 2013 and then Cliffside Nov.27th-Dec.2nd. Next trip Nov.21-22nd White Sands,Nov23rd-30th Delroys!!
    Bill N Donna

Our Verizon works fine. You should check with your carrier to make sure the international roaming is turned on or is part of your plan. Once in jamaica, turn it on and the Digicel network will annouce itself. Was about $1.25 per minute. We made for or 5 calls...the rest of the time it was OFF!!!!!!
    "Well, it’s a sad, sad situation. Now I need a goddamn vacation."
    - Jaret Reddick/Bowling for Soup

Blog Entries
    Mine worked in February while there - i'm on AT&T and it was fine. I agree with tamnrudy though, check with your carrier ahead of time for the international roaming rates, etc.. it will eat you alive if you don't! I didn't make too many calls so it was not that bad but it's certainly more than what you might be used to!

We just came back from Hedo II, my wife´s cell worked with no problem and mine didn´t work at all on the phone mode but I was able to receive emails on my Blackberry (Austrian phones)
    Otto & Nuby from Austria (but not Austrians, just living there) in love with Hedo.
    Hedo II July 2008
    Cap D´Age, France Sept 2008
    Desire Cancun Nov 2008
    Disneyworld, Fl. Dec 2008
    Hedo II ASAP in 2009

Verizone cell service

We used our Verizone phones while at Hedo3 in April. Pricey $1.49 per minute, but no roaming fees. Text messages were only .10 ea.
    Call 611 before you leave mainland and advise them of your arrival and departure dates. Doing this will better assure you will have service upon arrival.
    We were advised by several veteran Hedos to buy the calling card at the Hedo store, $20.00 for 200 minutes, keep in mind hotel will charge $2.00 to initiate the call. Good trick is to lump all your calls at one time, only costing one time hotel calling connection fee for each calling session. I believe the card was called Peoples calling card. Better hit for long calls!!

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the tips and info - I'll be sure to check with our carrier. Don't really plan on using the phone much though.

T-mobile works, too.

If you are on verizon activate your international service and update your satellite by dialing (*228)
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/BostonMel/random%20board%20crap/crazyph.gif

www.crzyphckers.com

Can't wait to get home!!!!!

Hi,

With the increase in the cell phone communication various companies have agreed to share their networks with the other companies. As a result all the mobile phones of various companies now are able to operate in the Jamaica. But the charges for such phone calls are high as compared to the other calls.