View RSS Feed

The Travel Slut

Tips for 1st timers (or anyone) going to Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida Part 2

Rate this Entry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz_VlVpmBd0

Here are some of my favorite parties with the Krewe de Krazy Life that I have experienced since 1999. Also, Nightly gatherings are 7 pm-??? occur at Capt. Tony's Saloon on Greene St. near Duval.

1st SATURDAY NIGHT-- Little Black Dress Night at Capt. Tony's Saloon. Anything goes but keep it PG on the streets as there are still many tourists and residents prepping for FF and unaware of the quasi-clothing-optional nature of FF. Save the risque fun for the bars and clubs and use common sense to cover up on the street.

SUNDAY NIGHT--The Krewe does a Zombie Night with the earlybirds of Fantasy Fest getting warmed up at various venues around town and Capt. Tony's has been the place to be the past few years to the point that police have shut down Greene Street near Duval Street to accommodate the overflow.

MONDAY NIGHT-- Fetish Night features all those in leather, vinyl, rubber and all types of Fetish and Fantasy wear up to and including bodypaint (which is acceptable any night). It's not uncommon to see 100's (if not 1,000's) of people dressed in leather or latex or some variation for this various parties. Many others parties exist in non-sanctioned venues. Again, Capt. Tony's has a special celebration in their Dungeon side room called Capt. Tony's Rubber Fetish Ball.

Also, MONDAY is Leather and Fetish costume theme night@ at Kelly's Kinky Karnival at Kelly's Caribbean Bar and Grill. I've attended this leather-fetish party @ Kelly's for many years and this is definitely NOT the place for anyone shy, timid or shocked easily as you will just about everything and anything.

Plan to be amazed at what you see, hear or even experience on the streets, in the bars and at the private parties. The costumes and actions of the crowds are often awesome and amazing Some of the photos in my Flickr Group and some of the videos in my YouTube videos only reveal a small aspect of happenings..

TUESDAY NIGHT--features the Plaid Party @ Capt. Tony's Saloon and in addition to the other parties throughout Key West. Crowded parties are the norm especially as the week goes on.Be courteous and patient.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT--features Red Night @ Fogerty's and elsewhere on Duval Street and the crowds really start to arrive. Usually Duval Street is blocked off to allow only pedestrian traffic late at night and a long section of Duval is labeled the "Fantasy Zone" where open containers of beer, wine or alcohol are permitted and are served from bars and vendors. I often try to use street vendors that use a portion of their proceeds for local charities.

All the while these official events are occurring, many bars and saloons feature their own party theme and of course, thousands of people flock into the streets and sidewalks of Duval where people-watching takes on a new level.

THURSDAY NIGHT--features Toga Night @ Sloppy Joes Bar and everywhere else and there are thousands of togas and variations of them everywhere in Key West. After all, togas are relevant to party times and are easy to make or buy, and they feel great! The Krewe however does a great Pirate, Wench and Booty Night at Capt. Tony's and is so much fun!

Again, Duval Street becomes an event in itself with thousands of people costumed and as many taking photos or just people watching and cruiseship passengers that happen to be in port during the week sure get an eyeful.

The remainder of the festival has many events both FRIDAY and SATURDAY NIGHTS with Friday's highlight being the Duval Street Fair, Masquerade March and Pimp N Ho party while Saturday night features a Bourbon Street Tea Dance, Bodypaint Contest @ the Green Parrot and Captain Morgan Fantasy Fest parade where 70,000 onlookers and 50+ or more floats are all part of the celebration's pending conclusion down Duval Street on Saturday Night.

SUNDAY NIGHT: the town almost returns to "normal" and has a children's day at a local park and a conclusion somewhere that focuses on "It's not over until the fat lady sings".

The drive back home or the flight back home is always a challenge. Between hangovers, crowds, and general dismay about returning to reality, leaving Key West and Fantasy Fest can be tough except for the knowledge that the next Fantasy Fest is less than 360 days away!

Now, for some important DO's AND DON'T's of Fantasy Fest:

Don't wear a mask you can't drink in or see out of.

Don't choose a costume you can't use the bathroom in.

Don't wear shoes you can't walk in. Walking on streets & sidewalks can be a challenge for some.

Do dress sexier than you thought you might initially (but no nudity in public and if walking from residential areas, consider a cover-up for modesty purposes).

Do make sure you have a place to stay before you get too drunk and find yourself under a tree or on a sidewalk.

Do realize that the shape and size of your breasts/penis will not change with spray paint.

Don't wear your thong with your leg in the wrong hole.

Do trim your private areas within the limits of your costume ...please.

Do donate your leftover items to locals who want to enjoy Fantasy Fest as much as the rest of us but often just make room for us.

Don't flash the cops. Not cool, not legal.

Don't ask the cops to flash you. Really not cool.

Do understand that just because you are near-naked doesn't mean that others will accept your choice of costume.

Don't go out carrying valuable items that you are likely to lose if/when you get drunk--- such as a purse wallet, expensive jewelry or your spouse.

Do wrap your money in plastic or a ziplock first if you have nothing to carry it in but your bikini bottoms or sweaty shorts.No one wants to handle sweaty-wet cash.

Do know that unoccupied bathrooms will be scarce all week

Don't verbally abuse anyone---ever!; Everyone is there to have a good, laid back time.

Don't be in a hurry---remember you are on (overcrowded) island time

Don't step in front of moving parade floats to pick up candy or beads.

Do be aware that if you take Henrietta home with you may wake up with Henry.

Do take pictures but be polite, patient, and asking 1st if it is OK to take a photo will usually result in a yes answer and you will get a nicer, posed shot or two. Also, have your camera ready to shoot FIRST before you ask.

Don't touch anyone wearing bodypaint before, during or after photos or conversations as they want their paint to look its best all day and night. They will thank you for not touching.

Do exercise some tact and courtesy with the folks working in the bars and cafes. They may be there working their days off for your enjoyment. Drinks take time to create and be served as do meals.

Don't tip in beads - service workers don't want or need beads--- tip with cash please.

Don't ask the female servers to show you their boobs--there are thousands of women on Duval Street dying to show you all that they've got.

Don't try to touch, kiss, etc service workers or Fantasy Fest workers or other costumed Fantasyfesters..

Do carry some info or business card of your hotel/B and B address so someone can help get you home if you need help late at night should you be too intoxicated.

Don't be afraid to dress up. Have an outrageously fun time and tip big.

And for those that can't make Fantasy Fest either this year or next year here is an option--------------

The 13th Annual Reunion-Rendezvous of FantasyFesters and KrewedeKrazyLifers will occur June 15-22, 2019 at the wickedly-wild, renovated Hedonism II resort in Jamaica where we will again enjoy theme nights like Fetish, PimpNHo, Plaid/Schoolgirl, Pirate/Wench and Toga, costumes, plus 24/7all-you-can eat and drink, a nude day cruise and twice-daily complimentary nude snorkeling & scuba,, and all in a cashless, clothing optional-nude environment where you don't even tip because everything is included in one low, group rate. More info:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hedonismreortgrouptrip… with 7,000+ members and 4,000+photos.

Daily updates of Fantasy Fest and my other travels:
http://twitter.com/TheTravelSlut

All my Fantasy Fest videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTravelSlut/videos

NOTE: I will miss my 15th Fantasy Fest this October due to my business travels in New Zealand and Australia which conclude the last weekend of FF but I'll be back in 2019.

In the meantime, take care, travel safe and have safe fun!

Ann, The TravelSlut :-) email: TheTravelSlut@yahoo.com

Submit "Tips for 1st timers (or anyone) going to Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Tips for 1st timers (or anyone) going to Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tips for 1st timers (or anyone) going to Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida Part 2" to Google Submit "Tips for 1st timers (or anyone) going to Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida Part 2" to Pinterest Submit "Tips for 1st timers (or anyone) going to Fantasy Fest in Key West, Florida Part 2" to Facebook

Comments

If the band Patrick and the Swayzees are playing anywhere in K.W. during FF, go see them. They are fantastic.