View RSS Feed

The Travel Slut

Invite to join me & the Krewe de Krazy Life at Fantasy Fest in Key West in October

Rate this Entry

TIPS FOR 1ST TIMERS TO FANTASY FEST IN KEY WEST, FLORIDA FROM OCTOBER 20-29, 2017

The TravelSlut® ’s Top Tips for First Time Fantasy Fest attendees

While I’ve only been 13 times to FF since 1999 (and about 30 times to Key West), I have learned a few things through personal experience or from the experience of others: (in no particular order):

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Key West is a walking town especially on and around Duval Street so comfortable, soled shoes or sandals are a must. Don’t walk downtown in barefeet as the streets are likely to have either debris or glass, etc. that could cut your feet. Consider having a lightweight/foldable rain poncho for those occasional showers to protect bodypaint or costumes.

Toiletries & Medical Supplies: Aleve/Tylenol, antacids, Pepto-Bismol, and or special hangover OTC meds, insect repellent, sunscreen, aloe vera

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: blanket and or chair and some sort of sun protection. The sun is brutal plus a beach or gear bag works also for carrying around Key West even at night while in costume.

Transportation: parking can be almost non-existent near Duval Street even if you have a reservation at your accommodation. Don’t park in a resident’s zone, block a driveway or any access point.

There are parking garages, meters and some free side-street parking but get there early.

Be cautious driving on the one-way streets, watch for the large and long Conch Train bicycles, pedalcabs, small/silent electric vehicles, mopeds and pedestrians. Open drinking/walking occurs 24/7 so be careful.

Key West has some streets and sidewalks that are both very narrow and may be obscured so watch your step.

Pedestrians (sometimes intoxicated or jaywalking) will walk right out in front of you from previously hidden or obscured areas.

Key West is modern and developed and always seems to have ongoing renovations/construction so be cautious of traffic controls, traffic workers, and slow-downs. Don’t be in a hurry. Remember, you are on “Island Time” now and the 26,000+ full time residents will appreciate patience as will your additional fellow 50,000+ Fantasy Fest revelers.

2017’s theme is “Time Travel Unravels” and is the 38th Anniversary of Fantasy Fest Oct. 20-Oct. 29 with the big parade on Oct. 28 basically culminating the week of Halloween-type fun.

Fantasy Fest is definitely not for the timid or shy and small children should not be downtown after dark (or at all if possible). Bodypaint, nudity and skimpy, sexy/see through clothing rules day and night and are very prevalent

Nightly events. activities and costume themes, both official and unofficial, can be found on the main Fantasy Fest website of http://www.fantasyfest.com and http://www.fantasyfest.com/schedule/ **

You really should consider costumes for every night for the most interactions and best-fun participation–and expect to be photographed/videotaped in all public areas.

Other unofficial events, parties and activities occur regularly around Key West.

Here are some of my favorite parties with the Krewe de Krazy Life that I have experienced since 1999. Nightly gatherings 7 pm-??? occur at Capt. Tony’s Saloon.

1st SATURDAY NIGHT– Little Black Dress Night at Capt. Tony’s Saloon. Anything goes but keep it PG on the streets. Save the risque fun for the bars and clubs and use common sense to cover up on the side streets.

SUNDAY NIGHT–Pirate, Wench and Booty Night at various venues around town and Capt. Tony’s is the place to be.

MONDAY NIGHT– Fetish Night features all those in leather, vinyl, rubber and all types of Fetish and Fantasy wear up to and including bodypaint (which is acceptable any night). Many others parties exist in non-sanctioned venues. Again, Capt. Tony’s has a special celebration in their Dungeon side room called Capt. Tony’s Rubber Fetish Ball.
Also, MONDAY is Leather and Fetish costume theme night@ Kelly’s Kinky Karnival at Kelly’s Caribbean Bar & Grill where I will be. I’ve attended this leather-fetish party @ Kelly’s for many years and expect to be shocked you will see just about everything.

TUESDAY NIGHT–features the Plaid Party @ Capt. Tony’s Saloon. Crowded parties are the norm especially as the week goes on.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT–features Red Night @ Fogerty’s on Duval Street and the crowds really ramp up. Usually Duval Street is blocked off to allow only pedestrian traffic late at night in the “Fantasy Zone” where open containers of alcohol are permitted.

THURSDAY NIGHT–features Toga Night @ Sloppy Joes and everywhere else . After all, togas are relevant to party times and are easy to make or buy, and they feel great!

Again, Duval Street becomes an event in itself with thousands of people costumed and as many taking photos or just people watching and cruise ship passengers that happen to be in port during the week sure get an eyeful.

The remainder of the festival has many events both FRIDAY and SATURDAY NIGHTS with Friday’s highlight being the Duval Street Fair, Masquerade March and Pimp N Ho party while Saturday night features a Bourbon Street Tea Dance, Bodypaint Contest @ the Green Parrot and Captain Morgan Fantasy Fest parade where 70,000 onlookers and 50+ or more floats are all part of the celebration’s pending conclusion down Duval Street on Saturday Night.

SUNDAY NIGHT: the town almost returns to “normal” and has a children’s day at a local park and a conclusion somewhere that focuses on “It’s not over until the fat lady sings”.

The drive back home or the flight back home is always a challenge. Between hangovers, crowds, and general dismay about returning to reality, leaving Key West and Fantasy Fest can be tough except for the knowledge that the next Fantasy Fest is less than 360 days away!

Now, for some important DO’s AND DON’T’s of Fantasy Fest:

Don’t wear a mask you can’t drink in or see out of.

Don’t choose a costume you can’t use the bathroom in.

Don’t wear shoes you can’t walk in.

Do dress sexier than you thought you might initially (but no nudity in public and if walking from residential areas, consider a cover-up for modesty purposes).

Do make sure you have a place to stay before you get too drunk and find yourself under a tree or on a sidewalk.

Do realize that the shape and size of your breasts/penis will not change with spray paint.

Do trim your private areas within the limits of your costume …please.

Do donate your leftover items to locals who want to enjoy Fantasy Fest as much as the rest of us but often just make room for us.

Don’t flash the cops. Not cool, not legal. Don’t ask the cops to flash you. Really not cool.

Do understand that just because you are near-naked doesn’t mean that others will accept your choice of costume.

Don’t go out carrying valuable items that you are likely to lose if/when you get drunk— such as a purse wallet, expensive jewelry or your spouse.

Do wrap your money in plastic or a ziplock first if you have nothing to carry it in but your bikini bottoms or sweaty shorts.

Do know that unoccupied bathrooms will be scarce all week

Don’t verbally abuse anyone—ever!; Everyone is there to have a good, laid back time.

Don’t be in a hurry—remember you are on (overcrowded) island time

Don’t step in front of moving parade floats to pick up candy or beads.

Do be aware that if you take Henrietta home with you may wake up with Henry.

Do take pictures but be polite, patient, and asking 1st if it is OK to take a photo will usually result in a yes answer and you will get a
nicer, posed shot or two. Also, have your camera ready to shoot FIRST before you ask.

Do exercise some tact and courtesy with the folks working in the bars and cafes. They may be there working their days off for your enjoyment. Drinks take time to create and be served as so meals.

Don’t tip in beads - service workers don’t want or need beads— tip with cash please.

Don’t ask the female servers to show you their boobs–there are thousands of women on Duval Street dying to show you all that they’ve got.

Don’t try to touch, kiss, etc service workers or Fantasy Fest workers or other costumed Fantasyfesters..

Do carry some info or business card of your hotel/B and B address so someone can help get you home if you need help late at night should you be too intoxicated.

Don’t be afraid to dress up. Have an outrageously fun time and tip big.

And for those that can’t make Fantasy Fest either this year or next year here is an option————–
The 12th Annual Reunion-Rendezvous of FantasyFesters and KrewedeKrazyLifers will occur June 16-23, 2018 at the wickedly-wild, renovated Hedonism II resort in Jamaica where we will again enjoy theme nights like Fetish, PimpNHo, Plaid/Schoolgirl, Pirate/Wench and Toga, costumes, plus 24/7all-you-can eat and drink, a nude day cruise and twice-daily complimentary nude snorkeling & scuba,, and all in a cashless, clothing optional-nude environment where you don’t even tip because everything is included in one low, group rate. More info:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hedonismresortgrouptrip with 6,800 members and 3,800 photos.

Daily updates of Fantasy Fest and my other travels:

http://twitter.com/TheTravelSlut

All my Fantasy Fest videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTravelSlut/videos

In the meantime, take care, travel safe and have safe fun!

NOTE: I will be *at my 14th Fantasy Fest this October from Saturday to Tuesday—see you there?.

Ann, The TravelSlut :-)

email and IM: *TheTravelSlut@yahoo.com

Submit "Invite to join me & the Krewe de Krazy Life at Fantasy Fest in Key West in October" to del.icio.us Submit "Invite to join me & the Krewe de Krazy Life at Fantasy Fest in Key West in October" to StumbleUpon Submit "Invite to join me & the Krewe de Krazy Life at Fantasy Fest in Key West in October" to Google Submit "Invite to join me & the Krewe de Krazy Life at Fantasy Fest in Key West in October" to Pinterest Submit "Invite to join me & the Krewe de Krazy Life at Fantasy Fest in Key West in October" to Facebook

Comments