View RSS Feed

The Travel Slut

Hedonism III in Jamaica 2009--Part 3 of 3

Rate this Entry
Day 9 Sunday May 3 2009

My 6:45 a.m. wakeup call came WAY too early but I did have time to get my luggage placed outside my door by the 7 a.m. requirement and then a quick shower later, it was off to reception to check out of Hedo and check in for the complimentary transfer from resort to the Montego Bay airport following one last (excellent breakfast at 7:30 a.m.) A few last hugs and kisses to staff and guests and Krewe alike was all that remained.

The airport bus was right on time, the baggage handlers efficient and it was goodbye to Hedo III until next time later in 2009 or for sure--the 4th Annual FantasyFesters Spring Reunion-Rendezvous in April-May 2010.

The bus trip involved stops at nearby Breezes Resorts and then the Starfish Resort for other guest pickups and I ultimately arrived at Montego Bay airport at about 9:45 a.m. where baggage handlers took my bags and ferried them to a sedate American Airlines counter for a very easy check-in. A quick trip through customs and immigration and then security screening areas, meant it was time for some last minute shopping in some of the 50 or so stores inside the airport. The duty free liquor stores were sold out of 21-year-old Appleton rum. :-(

I also met up with some other Hedo III Krewe and guests for lunch at Margaritaville (where a “well-done” hamburger means the meat is REALLY cooked through and through).

Finally it was boarding time to AA469 from Mo’Bay to Miami at 12:30 p.m. and another uneventful 90 minute flight. Arrival in Miami was OK and then a 3 hour layover to my final flight to Tampa and ultimate drive home. Wow, what an 8-night adventure!

10 things to remember about trips to Hedonism III

1. Bring, buy, borrow and then USE sunscreen-especially your 1st few days and don’t forget both to reapply every so often and don’t forget the SENSITIVE SPOTS! I saw way too many red-lobster skinned people my time at Hedo III and spending your vacation/holiday time applying aloe vera while sitting in the shade and taking aspirin to reduce pain and swelling from sunburn is not enjoyable.

2. Consider bringing or buying an insulated drinking mug but a caveat: more liquid refreshments means more and quicker absorption of alcohol as trips to the various bars can take time and you are more likely to hydrate with more ice waters than if you sip from one source only.

3. Have an idea what you might like to do indoors should the occasional and unlikely passing rain showers decide to linger for several hours or longer whether it is a game of billiards, drinks under the roofs of the nude pool, quad pool or lobby bars, or even working out in the well-equipped fitness center.

4. Wireless internet (in the lobby only) can be slow and sporadic at best. The best to access the internet is early morning before staff arrives or after hours when the system is not bogged down Downloads are faster and more reliable than uploads I stopped trying after the 1st few days)

5. Flights to Jamaica and getting to Hedo III require almost a full travel day and don’t plan an all-nighter on your arrival date. Even simple flights from Florida can mean 8-10 travel days and it is easy to not get past one of the bars within hours of arrival and finding yourself passed out early in the evening. If you are new to Hedo III, then take time to explore the various areas and if you are a veteran, then check for new developments and start the “pacing” of both time and energy so that you can make it through your entire trip with maximum fun and energy levels.

6. If you seek quiet areas, then you may want to remain flexible and when one area gets to noisy or busy, move to another. I know a few times around the nude pool, I either moved to the quad pool or the nude beach where the noise was more than acceptable.

7. The towel exchange program is nothing new nor is a hassle. For a US $20 fee, you get a large beach/pool towel that is yours for your stay and can be exchanged as many times each day at each pool as needed. Just keep track of it as they are all alike when lying on the various chaise lounges.

8. Consider joining or at least learning about any group or groups that will be at Hedo when you are planning to be there. A great source to see who might be there is: http://hedonism.com/events.php If you can't join our group in 2010 or sometime in the future, then try to find a compatible group that you might like to join or at least meet people that are members. I know we added over 20 people to the FantasyFesters during our week stay and will see them again both at Hedo and in Key West for Fantasy Fest.

9. Expect the unexpected at either the quad or especially the nude pool at night. The liquor flows freely (literally) and the jacuzzi is called a "hot" tub for good reasons.

10. Tipping (gratuities) are not required, expected or preferred at Hedo but it does happen on occasion. IF (and a big if) you do decide to tip one or more staff members at Hedo--please do it both one-on-one and very discreet--and please explain that while the tip is from you alone for above & beyond service, that your positive feedback on your departure survey form will reflect and earn more for them job-wise. NOTE: the baggage handlers at the Montego Bay airport and your shuttle bus driver ARE NOT employed by Hedo and therefore rely on tips.

Anyway, I hope many of you reading this can join me and the Krewe next spring 2010 at Hedo III...we would eventually like to "take over" Hedo III with our group for the week.

In the meantime feel free to contact me throughout the year and anytime if you would like to try Hedo with or without our group (or any other adult-only destination resort). My next Group Trip is March 27 to April 4, 2010.

I can answer questions, arrange travel (with or without our group) and can always be reached at: thetravelslut@yahoo.com
Take care, travel safe and have safe fun! Cheers and hugs to all.
Ann, The TravelSlut :-)

(Click on the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KrewedeKrazyLifers4Hedo3

Submit "Hedonism III in Jamaica 2009--Part 3 of 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Hedonism III in Jamaica 2009--Part 3 of 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hedonism III in Jamaica 2009--Part 3 of 3" to Google Submit "Hedonism III in Jamaica 2009--Part 3 of 3" to Pinterest Submit "Hedonism III in Jamaica 2009--Part 3 of 3" to Facebook

Comments