Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discretion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thinking... View Post
    Big thanks to all who replied in a non snarky manner. Very true that in a real emergency no one will care what hotel we are at! We will likely do the cell phone thing, I had really just asked because I had heard some resorts offer an alternative number. And yes it does always seem longer for the parents when kids are so little-it will be a very welcome break though!!
    Contacting your cell phone provider and getting an International Plan for a week is the way to go! Just tell people that you won't really be in the room, except to sleep, so giving the resort phone number would be pointless.

we put on international package on ours and texting. we tell them that we leave the phone in the safe and check it a couple times a day. lets face it, even if you had to leave in an emergency you more than likely wouldn't get to leave until the next day!
    Jan 30- Feb 7, 2017 Wild Women Vacations
    Jan 16- 23rd, 2016, Dream Pleasure Tours
    Nov 4 to 14, 2015, 7th Trip, Pure Pleasure Week with SLS
    Jan 17-Jan 24, 2015, 6th trip with PLEASURE LIFESTYLE WEEK – DREAM PLEASURE TOURS
    Aug 31 - Sept 10 5th trip home with JWST
    April 29 - May 11 2014 Princess Week Partying with the Fluff's!!!
    Jan 31-Feb 7 2014 Wild Woman 14th Anniversary Trip 3
    Dec 30-Jan 6th 2013 Bare Bottom Bunch Trip
    April 29-May 13 2012 Trip 1

FL - a hop, a skip, and a jump away from paradise!
    Android user and cheapskate here and I'm trying to figure out a good free app for sending a SMS text message home to someone in the US by using the resort's wi-fi.

I saw a few suggestions earlier in this thread for using WhatsApp or BBM. I believe for WhatsApp you need to make sure the recipient also has the app on their phone, and I think this also goes for BBM. Same goes for Viber, another free app that I've read is good for VoIP. I think this is because with these apps you are not sending an SMS message over wifi, but an instant messenger message. These apps may be capable of sending an SMS, but I think you'll be required to use your carrier, not WiFi.

One solution that may work is using Google voice. I was looking at this article and it seems like it will do the trick:
    http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/c...gle-voice.html
    I'm gonna try it out when I get a chance. If anyone has had success using this, let us know.

I know I can use email (which I did in the courtyard on our last trip), I just would love a more instant way to let family know I've made it safely to my destination.

I also like the suggestion of using the app GrooveIP which apparently allows for free calls over WiFi. I'm guessing you would be able to keep your phone in airplane mode and simply run this app while connected to the resort's free WiFi in the courtyard and be able to call home.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, feel free to let me know! I'm definitely not an expert on any of this!
    Last edited by TheRaam; 12-22-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    Next trip: Young Swingers Week March 18 - 24 2018!

March 21 - 28 2014, Young Swingers Week (Trip report)
    October 3 - 12 2014, Young Swingers Week 2 (Trip report)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaam View Post
    Android user and cheapskate here and I'm trying to figure out a good free app for sending a SMS text message home to someone in the US by using the resort's wi-fi.

I saw a few suggestions earlier in this thread for using WhatsApp or BBM. I believe for WhatsApp you need to make sure the recipient also has the app on their phone, and I think this also goes for BBM. Same goes for Viber, another free app that I've read is good for VoIP. I think this is because with these apps you are not sending an SMS message over wifi, but an instant messenger message. These apps may be capable of sending an SMS, but I think you'll be required to use your carrier, not WiFi.

One solution that may work is using Google voice. I was looking at this article and it seems like it will do the trick:
    http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/c...gle-voice.html
    I'm gonna try it out when I get a chance. If anyone has had success using this, let us know.

I know I can use email (which I did in the courtyard on our last trip), I just would love a more instant way to let family know I've made it safely to my destination.

I also like the suggestion of using the app GrooveIP which apparently allows for free calls over WiFi. I'm guessing you would be able to keep your phone in airplane mode and simply run this app while connected to the resort's free WiFi in the courtyard and be able to call home.

If I'm wrong about any of the above, feel free to let me know! I'm definitely not an expert on any of this!
    Yahoo messenger allows you to send messages to others SMS, just try it in the US first, have had a few that it wouldn't allow the SMS to send. You are correct about Groove IP but not sure how it would work with a foreign IP address, I know Google Voice charges for the call if outside the US, same with Skype which can also send a SMS message. Note the call cost is a lot cheaper than an international call package or $3 a min call, check the websites for the correct fee for a call from Jamaica.
    Hedo II CHERRY popped May 2010
    Hedo II Sept 2010,2011, 2012, 2013,2014, 2015,2016,2017,2018
    Hedo II May 2011, April 2012, 2013, 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018
    July 2-8,2017 won 5 free nights at the Repeaters Party
    NEXT TRIPS HOME!!!
    April 25-May 4, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew www.tomstrips.com
    September 5 - 14, 2019 with Tom's Trips Zoo Krew IIwww.tomstrips.com
    Earthangel496 on SLS / Kasidie

You can also buy time on Skype to make regular phone calls from an internet connection at $0.02/minute. I use it on my multiple trips to Asia yearly. Buy in $10.00 increments and you'll plenty left over after your holiday.

Some interesting ideas in this article:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool...actaully-work/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123